Quick doubles on the kick

DsDrummer

Hey forum, how's it going?

Quick question: does anybody recommend some good, effective exercises that will help me improve my doubles on the kick drum? I've been pulling it off when needed using heel-toe technique but I don't feel as if i get the amount of control and feel that I want and need. Anyways, what's something I can practice that will help me improve those quick doubles?

Thanks for your constant help,
Dan

Practice several techniques, starting slow, maybe using lower spring tension, and playing with a metronome.

Listen to what Jojo Mayer says in this video. Same principle here to use doubles and apply them wherever. You could say he doing several "doubles" to make up higher numbers if that makes sense. I also use this technique predominantly and love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94qWIAuhH64

There's also the slide technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZovIOejWX0

Learn a few Zeppelin or Maiden songs without doing heel-toe. Practice practice and remember to keep relaxed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jfa_MQgBy0

there is the technique I use with a HOW TO video of it.

I have a bunch of heel toe videos as I do that for playing long runs of double strokes on both feet. but for a quick double this is the best way

You can control the speed for a slow double.. or a very fast double depending on the slide

Quick tip.. when you are learning this.. tighten up the batter head slightly and your life will be MUCH MUCH MUCH easier... as you get it down loosen it up for the boomy sound after you get the technique down.

spring tension makes a difference too in the playing. too tight = too hard.. too loose = no bounce back.. (easier and can be compensated with a tight drum head)

let me know if you have any questions

Learn a few Zeppelin or Maiden songs without doing heel-toe. Practice practice and remember to keep relaxed.

+1. It's critical not to automatically start playing heel toe as a crutch to otherwise spotty control/technique. Heel toe should only be used once the player has gone pretty much as far as they can physically go in terms of speed to get to the next level.

Hi Bill B:
I am transitioning from a lifetime of playing heel down to more of the heel up style. It's taken quite a while since my lower back muscles weren't engaging in heel down and control is much different when playing heel up. I didn't know when to rest my foot on heel up and this constant exertion tended to strain the lower back muscles as well. I'm now resting more in between strokes but its a lot trickier to find the best position than the resting of heel down.

• Does the type of shoe you wear affect the ability to slide as needed up the pedal, when executing a double? My current DW5000 pedal has embossed surface which isn't smooth and my typical shoes are sneakers or Crocs (due to some foot nerve damage). My heel down style can play doubles fairly well, but I'm sure heel up would allow a more consistent and powerful double. Can you play doubles with any type of shoe or friction that might be present either on the pedal or shoe? (I'm probably switching to a smoother surfaced pedal and a direct drive style as well).

Beyond B: Your video showed playing in a sock (smooth surface). Can you play similarly in sneakers with a traction type sole (vs. a smooth or less sticky material on the bottom)?

I'd welcome others' comments who have transitioned from heel down or made adjustments due to the pedal-friction variances.

Thanks for the link Bill. Quick question: I don't fully understand how to speed the motion up. I start in the middle of the pedal, and then while pushing my foot up on the pedal, all my force towards the bass drum, the second hit comes down. Is that the correct motion? And I'm having trouble speeding it up into a sliding motion because I feel like I moving my foot each hit. How can I create the single flow to it?

Thanks for the link Bill. Quick question: I don't fully understand how to speed the motion up. I start in the middle of the pedal, and then while pushing my foot up on the pedal, all my force towards the bass drum, the second hit comes down. Is that the correct motion? And I'm having trouble speeding it up into a sliding motion because I feel like I moving my foot each hit. How can I create the single flow to it?

It's both actually, you do a double while the slide to different leverage points sets you up for success for a nice balance volume-wise.

Bill Bachman, it's very interesting to see you do what looks like a modified slide technique without burying the beater! Thank you for posting this.

I have never buried the beater and ultimately, the slide technique has been an impossibility for me. Seeing you do it gives me great hope that I'll be able to incorporate it into my playing.

As a heel down player for many years, the last several months have been 2-3 hours a day of work on every other conceivable bass drum technique possible, except the slide, of which I think could be the most valuable addition for quick, consistent doubles.

Eric

Hey, Bill!

I just checked out your video and smiled when you mentioned me and my DVD. Thanks, buddy.

Hope you've been well.

If you are using heel up, with a bit of practice you will find you can get really fast doubles out of the box.
- Heel-toe isn't necessary for most situations, and it can be difficult to master depending on the size of your foot and the pedal used etc.
- I use a variation of the slide technique.. for most things..a very short slide, like a pull out stroke or control stroke.

I either:
- position my right knee just behind my right foot (looking down from the top) playing heel up or
- sit back and play with the lower leg angled at about 50 degrees ( I'll have to check the number as I'm on painkillers right now from a minor operation - hernia yay!) and the thighs have a slight slope down.
- You can play just as fast singles heel down as well heels up.. see Thomas Lang - I didn't think you could play that fast using heels down until I saw him demonstrate .. but I still prefer heels up.
- The batter bounces off the head for all techniques
- other DVDs... Steve Smith or JoJo Mayer, or Dave Weckl
- Practice..

Last edited:
Wow - Bill - checked out your video - Totally awesome! That's it in a nutshell! .. and your hand techniques is perfection personified! Great stuff!!

Bill

I watched your video (which I found was the best at showing the technique and more importantly going from single to double which most vidoes didn't show), but i have run into a problem. I find if I start the double at the same time as I would a single the first hit is before the beat. For instance if I'm playing a double on the count of 3 the first hit comes in on the a of the 2.
I have managed to get my head around concentrating on the heal down as my reference for the beat and this has helped. I think its because the first beat on the double is a free hit before the foot makes proper contact.
I've been playing flat footed up till now and this doesn't happen with doubles using a flat foot because the first beat is a concious hit.
Is it only me? am I dong something wrong? or is there a better way of overcoming this.

Just put more "weight" (so to speak) on the first one. I too have an easier time locking the second beat in because of the nature of the two (first one's a set-up and the second one gets driven home). Practice and you shall find! thanks

Back