I'm getting into this now

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So, a few days ago I saw this George Kollias video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqzZmNqdWck

And now, it's official. I'm into it. I have never really seen this kind of playing and never really listened to this kind of music, but I thought it would do me good if I at least checked it out. I'll probably never be able to play like that, but I'm gonna give it a go. I just bought his instructional DVD Intense Metal Drumming II and may eventually get that double pedal to try all that stuff out. But right now it looks humanly impossible to me, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

I need to grow my hair out too.

Bwa ha ha ha - this I gotta' see.

Go for it man.

Edit - honest opinion. While i understand the amount of work it takes to get good at that style, it has about as much appeal to me as rap music does - zilch.
Sparse, speedy licks applied in a tasteful manner is one thing.
All out, non-stop top speed blasting is just tiring to hear.

Last edited:
Bwa ha ha ha - this I gotta' see.

Go for it man.

Edit - honest opinion. While i understand the amount of work it takes to get good at that style, it has about as much appeal to me as rap music does - zilch.
Sparse, speedy licks applied in a tasteful manner is one thing.
All out, non-stop top speed blasting is just tiring to hear.

Yeah, I get that. I just feel I should be at least familiar with it when I meet youngsters who are into it. I try not to just discount things off hand and the physical ability to do that I can appreciate. I'm really interested in how he does it. It's a very different mind-set compared to my Bonham mindset where I want a bass drum note to last at least four counts ;)

Welcome to the dark side Bo!

I'd also suggest some Opeth for double bass practice. Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries really helped me work on my pedal work. There's some fast stuff that I still struggle with, but a lot of it is more mid tempo with a groovier feel. But have fun man, that's what matters!

Welcome to the dark side Bo!

I'd also suggest some Opeth for double bass practice. Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries really helped me work on my pedal work. There's some fast stuff that I still struggle with, but a lot of it is more mid tempo with a groovier feel. But have fun man, that's what matters!

Definitely looks like fun. Although I don't have a double pedal yet, I'll be checking it out for now. I had no idea George Kollias is such a big deal that Axis makes his signature pedals. Whoda thunk? I guess he's like Michael Phelps in the water.

Although I haven't looked into Derek Roddy yet, I've seen Gene Hoglan play on YouTube and that stuff is pretty intricate too. After seeing the Aristocrats, I really like Marco Minneman's playing as well - although that trio is so progressive, they can't really be categorized.

I love what I do, but I also like to keep up with these new developments to stay current on what's possible with a drumset. But I'm sure my primary job is always going to be bass drum on 1 & 3, and snare on 2 & 4!

I've been working on this stuff for yrs. and nowhere close to those guys. To me it's no different than what I see some of the Jazz guys doing with their hands, only with their feet. I can't do either. I find it amazing.

I've been working on this stuff for yrs. and nowhere close to those guys. To me it's no different than what I see some of the Jazz guys doing with their hands, only with their feet. I can't do either. I find it amazing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not even thinking that I could pick it up just like that and be happy. Anytime I see incredible playing, I know there's a lifetime of work behind it. I may never get it once I start trying. My thing is in the trying. Then I can at least say I checked it out and can say for sure that I can't do it. It's just dang impressive, and being a jazz guy, there's alot of things I can't do with my hands too!

Better get those pedals and get to work - ha ha. Maybe you'll like it.
I've made fair progress since I started with them.

Definitely looks like fun. Although I don't have a double pedal yet, I'll be checking it out for now. I had no idea George Kollias is such a big deal that Axis makes his signature pedals. Whoda thunk? I guess he's like Michael Phelps in the water.

Although I haven't looked into Derek Roddy yet, I've seen Gene Hoglan play on YouTube and that stuff is pretty intricate too. After seeing the Aristocrats, I really like Marco Minneman's playing as well - although that trio is so progressive, they can't really be categorized.

I love what I do, but I also like to keep up with these new developments to stay current on what's possible with a drumset. But I'm sure my primary job is always going to be bass drum on 1 & 3, and snare on 2 & 4!

Yep, it's just now you will be putting a bazillion notes in between. ; )

Well, today I received my two DVD set of George Kollias' Intense Metal Drumming II. I will be immersing myself shortly. I'm still on the fence about getting that double pedal, because I know I'll never use it on a gig, but you never know ;) Stay tuned!

Another possible convert! As CreeplyTuna said, welcome to the dark side!

It really isn't as difficult as it looks Bo. It is more speed than anything. Start doing rudiments with your feet while playing time with your hands and you are on your way. No double pedal required yet. With all your playing experience you shouldn't have much trouble making the transition.

To see the ultimate culmination of speed and technicality, check out John Longstreth. The man is a drumming wizard. He doesn't play drums, he sits down and they play themselves.

Anyhow, enjoy your new journey and good luck!

Personally, I am having one hell of a time with double bass. I think the biggest problem was I was practicing without a click at first and although my sustained singles were coming along okay, my shorter patterns were not being played evenly and I developed a bad habit of uneven short patterns. I also screwed up because a lot of my practice was just with a set of double pedals I had set up under my computer desk, and I wasn't incorporating my hands.

I realized it when I tried to play "Kill the King" by Megadeth. It sounded easy and I could easily play sustained singles at a much faster speeds, but when I tried to play along to the song it became painfully obvious that it was very uneven.

Well, today I received my two DVD set of George Kollias' Intense Metal Drumming II. I will be immersing myself shortly. I'm still on the fence about getting that double pedal, because I know I'll never use it on a gig, but you never know ;) Stay tuned!

I definatly prefer roddy, although kollias is a close second.

You don't really need his dvd's at all to be honest.
To get control you can knock yourself out with the single stroke pages of stick control on feet.
10 minute freefall is the second thing to focus on & then you're off to speedo land.

hope you're enjoying torturing yourself on a daily basis as much as i am currently lol

It's a fascinating area of study. I was a single-pedal Bonham devotee for years before suddenly having to play all this stuff, so I totally get where you're coming from. You may start looking at certain things in an entirely new way.

It's all about the vocal delivery ;)

Oh yes, we all love Cookie Monster.

Bo, I've been playing metal forever and keeping the double bass going at age 46 is a challenge. If you want to start on this now be prepared for a physical commitment. The legs and hips need to be worked with exercise and stretching for me to be able to hit 220. (But I don't play death metal so most of my stuff is around 180-200.)

As far as how these guys developed their speed. It's NOT from doing things like Stick Control exercises or working on their weak limb. It's all about developing a strong lead limb (like your right foot for example) and then getting the weaker limb to follow. George goes into this in detail in his second vid.

We are talking singles here at one dynamic level done at blazing speed. That is the essence of death metal. You'd be surprised at how many metal guys can play fast singles but can't play a double stroke roll.

Bo, take a look at Alex Rudinger, Dirk Verbueren, Peter Wildoer, Sean Reinert, Lyle Cooper...... These guys aren't reaching Kollias speeds, but are playing blazingly fast and with what some would consider a little bit more musicality. I second Jeff's suggestion on learning fast and consistent double bass stuff. I usually set my metronome to my desired tempo and accent one of the 16th notes. I make sure that my dominant foot lands consistently on that accent while trying to follow best I can with my weak foot. For me, I've found that stick control exercises really benefit playing broken patterns more so than straight 16th/32nd notes. I also agree that at 46 it can take a toll on the hip and groin area depending on what method your using. Also take a look at Devon Townsends post Strapping Young Lad stuff. It's a nice combination of death metal, straight ahead rock and elements of pop with, imo, fantastic vocals. Good luck in your journey!

Back