20x20 vs 20x18 bass drum?

Sgt-lil_jack904

I am planning on getting a custom kit made for myself but can't deside whether to get the bass drum 20x20 or 20x18 or 22x18

Thing is my yahama birch custom absolute has a 22x18 bass drum and I was thinking of going for something different?

I am getting the kit made in maple and I play rock,metal and prog rock?:)

What's your guys thoiughts ?

Except for one, all my kits were 22x18, got a kit a year ago (that I've since let go), and it had a 22x20 bass. Strait away, I noticed it was 2 inches deeper which is a space issue, and may pose an issue depending on the types of gigs you're doing with regards to stage space. Don't generally have a great deal of room to begin with. Just something to think about, it's sounded great, but I like the way all my kicks sound.

Some minor considerations, but if you're not going to gig the kit, might not pose an issue.

I am planning on getting a custom kit made for myself but can't deside whether to get the bass drum 20x20 or 20x18 or 22x18

Thing is my yahama birch custom absolute has a 22x18 bass drum and I was thinking of going for something different?

I am getting the kit made in maple and I play rock,metal and prog rock?:)

What's your guys thoiughts ?

If you are investing the money in a custom kit, IMO you owe it to yourself to try out the three bass drum sizes and make a decision on what will work best. Try to set them up with the same sorts of heads and tuning that you would normally use and give them a test drive. You may have to enlist friends, stores, or other places to achieve this, but since it's a custom drum, I think you'd be happier doing the research than getting stuck with a drum you can't exchange or return.

Also, when looking at depth and diameter, envision your typical playing situation and the space involved, the transportation, etc.

And finally, it can be a pain (and expensive) to find nonstandard sized kick drum cases/bags.

I'm probably going to be unpopular for asking this, but if you don't even know what size drum you want, why are you going custom? Ask yourself what the custom build route can deliver that the standard series from a range of manufacturers can't.

If you're getting someone reputable to build your kit, ask the advice of your builder. If he/she's good, they'll be able to guide you based on the information you give them. Tell your builder exactly the sound you're searching for, & see what comes back. The reason a good builder is the right person to consult on this, is because drum depth is just one of many design elements that must be considered together. For example, a 20" deep drum on a very thin shell is likely to overload the overtones to the point of confusion. Such a drum will be very muddy in certain applications.

The same advice goes for all the drums in your proposed kit. Consult your builder on all these subjects. If they don't have the expertise, or you don't want to take on board what they're saying, then move on to another builder.

One little point to take into account, a deeper shell bass drum does not automatically deliver more low end. It very much depends on the construction & other factors.

Except for one, all my kits were 22x18, got a kit a year ago (that I've since let go), and it had a 22x20 bass. Strait away, I noticed it was 2 inches deeper which is a space issue, and may pose an issue depending on the types of gigs you're doing with regards to stage space. Don't generally have a great deal of room to begin with. Just something to think about, it's sounded great, but I like the way all my kicks sound.

Some minor considerations, but if you're not going to gig the kit, might not pose an issue.
Space in the car and on stage hasn't really been an issue just yet but I understand your concern

If you are investing the money in a custom kit, IMO you owe it to yourself to try out the three bass drum sizes and make a decision on what will work best. Try to set them up with the same sorts of heads and tuning that you would normally use and give them a test drive. You may have to enlist friends, stores, or other places to achieve this, but since it's a custom drum, I think you'd be happier doing the research than getting stuck with a drum you can't exchange or return.

Also, when looking at depth and diameter, envision your typical playing situation and the space involved, the transportation, etc.

And finally, it can be a pain (and expensive) to find nonstandard sized kick drum cases/bags.

I think your right with the rest drive.. I went to a couple of shops today, they only had a 22x20 maplex in and it sounded okay but gonna keep looking for a 20x20 before anything

I'm probably going to be unpopular for asking this, but if you don't even know what size drum you want, why are you going custom? Ask yourself what the custom build route can deliver that the standard series from a range of manufacturers can't.

If you're getting someone reputable to build your kit, ask the advice of your builder. If he/she's good, they'll be able to guide you based on the information you give them. Tell your builder exactly the sound you're searching for, & see what comes back. The reason a good builder is the right person to consult on this, is because drum depth is just one of many design elements that must be considered together. For example, a 20" deep drum on a very thin shell is likely to overload the overtones to the point of confusion. Such a drum will be very muddy in certain applications.

The same advice goes for all the drums in your proposed kit. Consult your builder on all these subjects. If they don't have the expertise, or you don't want to take on board what they're saying, then move on to another builder.

One little point to take into account, a deeper shell bass drum does not automatically deliver more low end. It very much depends on the construction & other factors.

I will email the designer and ask a few more questions, and to the unpopular question.. I do know what I want but I just like to double check things and I'm always careful to make the right choice. I just wanted to know what other drummers thought :)

Personally I would not order any of those beer can shaped bass drums. I much prefer a 20 x 14 or 20 x 15 aize bass drum. Better beater response, punchier and you can easily fit the, on your car and on tight stages.

Personally I would not order any of those beer can shaped bass drums. I much prefer a 20 x 14 or 20 x 15 aize bass drum. Better beater response, punchier and you can easily fit the, on your car and on tight stages.

Me too. Anything deeper than 16" is crazy.

Having played all sorts of depths over the years I'm back at playing traditional shallower depths. I prefer 14" depths but I wouldn't go past 16". That being said, if you're having a custom built kit, the thicker the shell you may need to have a deeper depth so the shell doesn't end up sounding too thin. My two cents is don't pay any attention to trends. Talk things over with your drum builder about the sound you want and trust him to get the proper shell thickness, materials and depth to capture your desired sound.

I've also played several sizes over the years, with 10 years on a 28, and more on a 26 (14x20 and then 14x24 before that...).
I've had great luck, and sound with the 20" depth shells on the 26's, but I'm preferring the sounds I get from the 16 and 18"x26 more these days. My 14x24 has always sounded fantastic.
The look of the 20x26 works great for a couple bands too, but it does sound killer.

Everyone has their own desires on a kit, so go with what you want.
I did have a good time playing a 20x20 OCDP bass drum at GC a couple times, but an 18" depth will probably come across a little better if you are gigging. If you are playing it mainly at home, get what makes you happy. You can always get a different size later and swap out the hardware.

Yes. 14" is the ideal depth for a bass drum, except bass drums 18" and smaller. All of that extra depth makes your bass drum pedal response sluggish and you lose articulation, punch, and focus. One reason people typically buy custom kits is because they want something specific that isn't offered elsewhere. I would advise you to figure out what you want from your drums and then talk with your custom builder about how exactly to achieve those results...

I had an 18x20 and was never happy with it. I had it cut down. For a 20 I would not go deeper than 15". You will actually lose low end and resonance if you put too much distance between heads relative to the diameter of the heads.

I listened to a band that we played with the other night at our show. The drummer had a Trick kit. I believe his bass drum was 20" X 20", maybe 20" X 18". I could barely hear his kick. And, it was mic'd! It just did not put out that much volume and was not cutting through. I am sure other sound guys could make it happen, but there was just a space where his legs were pumping.

I have mostly played 16" x 22" over the years. I have thought about what size drums that I might want if I were to get another kit. I have been looking at some Ludwig Classic Maples, mostly to keep myself busy with internet window shopping. I am not sure what I would go with. I like the 14" X 24" in concept. However, it seems that the shallower depth contributes to the bass drum hopping around a lot. I don't know how big a deal that is, but it would concern me. It might just be one of their spur designs over another, but it just seems that the 16" depth is more stable overall. I am not a huge fan of how 18" depth bass drums look, (and the space they take up), but I don't see myself ever getting a 20" depth bass drum.

Besides the sound that each size produces, you will want to check out how each depth makes your bass pedal respond. Some sizes may not be very fun to work with.

If looks are a big thing for you, I'd go with a 20" depth, but if you are more concerned about having a focused tone, I'd go for 18" depth (or shorter). You can always put an extended hoop on the resonant side if you want that super deep look.

As for diameter, based on the music that you play, 22" is a must, unless you plan on using the kit for other types of music somewhere down the road.

I don't agree that you need a 22x18 for rock/metal. My teacher had a little Pulse kit for students to use and the 20 inch bass shook the room. I play a 22x18 and I too would rather try something a little smaller. The response just isn't always there, especially with double pedals. I'd go 20x18 or 20x16. Do as much research as you can though.

22 all the way imo. I play double bass and the head on a 22 just responds alot better. Granted I got used to a 20 with a bit of muffling, the 20 rebounds a bit weird if you have the batter head tuned loose and being smaller, notes can get lost, your beaters are more likely to be placed where they'll get different notes and rebound differently. If I had 2 bass drums I'd consider 20's.

Having played the 12" deep MONSTER at LDS 2012 I have to agree with Andy on this. Never heard/felt such low end from a kick, let alone one that's only 12" deep.

Having played the 12" deep MONSTER at LDS 2012 I have to agree with Andy on this. Never heard/felt such low end from a kick, let alone one that's only 12" deep.
A mini monster indeed. Even though we developed every aspect of that drum to deliver against common expectations, it still surprised us when we tested it for the first time. It continues to surprise everyone who tries it :)

On a more general note about deeper drums, it's all about managing overtones. The deeper you go, the more overtones come into play, & the more the fundamental diminishes in prominence as a result. This is common to all drums - bass, toms, & to a lesser extent, snares. Management of those overtones is best dealt with in the construction & design of the drum, rather than relying on head selection & tuning. Extra deep drums can sound superb if specifically designed as a deep drum. Same goes with extra shallow drums. Same rules apply. The struggle starts when a drum is produced at either end of the scale without appropriate constructional change from more standard depth pieces. Simply making something more shallow or deeper than "standard" depths almost always equates to a deficit somewhere without appropriate augmentation.

Back