What we learn here

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I think we tend to take forums like this for granted. I mean, they're here, and free to use, and we get to chat and show photos and post links to our work. In fact, anyone under 20 or 25 wouldn't remember a time when drummers, or anyone for that matter, didn't have a place like this where they could source info and chat with other like-minded people from around the world, with various levels of experience and achievement. This just didn't exist 20+ years ago. If there were weekly drum meetings going on somewhere, I sure didn't know about them! (Well, there was the Woodland Hills Drum Club way back when...)

The particular value for me is that the eyes and ears of thousands of members see and hear far more than I could ever discover on my own. I delight in hearing about new drummers, new bands, and new gear, and being able to explore things that I never would have stumbled upon by myself. As a result, I've learned and grown as a player.

So, what kinds of things have you learned in forums that have helped with your drumming, your gear, or your gigging or music career?

BTW, it's also a good time to thank Bernhard for providing such an amazing site. Let's not forget that Drummerworld encompasses much more than just this forum.

Bermuda

This site helps broaden knowledge of products and you can hear what to buy or what not to buy. It is also nice seeing what people have and what is new in drumming, I also love seeing some of the custom builders(like guru) putting out new stuff.

Agreed, Bernhard is the best!

I my case probably 20 minutes of "free entertainment" per day.

thx

jorn

BTW I think Drummerworld gets paid every time somebody clicks on one of the advertisments.
We should all keep that in mind and help with the occational click.

The place is a gold mine. This place has helped me enormously in allowing me to explore my closely held, tunnel visioned attitudes about drumming, in a place where it can be evaluated by people all over the world, and it has most definitely shaped and expanded my musical focus. I've said it before that Bernhard is just as influential to the drumming world as William Ludwig, Tony Williams, and a thousand others, if not more so.

I am planning a trip to London next October for the LDS...that just would not have happened without DW. Sure I've always wanted to go there anyway, I've never been overseas before, but now that I can get to meet Andy, Duncan, Henri, and who knows who else...well that just provides the motivation I need.

DW has definitely changed me as a drummer for the better, night and day. A common testimony I'll bet too. Before I was just a lone drummer, in my own head. Now I am part of a global community. It's just huge, the difference.

We should declare the first day this site went online as a sort of internal celebration day here. Uh, what month and day would that be? Anyone?

I'm one of the new kids on the block and can't tell you how helpful these forums have been to me in my development as a drummer. I feel able to ask any question without being shot down for its simplicity and can get helpful advice from many. I for one am glad to have found my way here and plan on hanging around for the long haul.

merci

russell

I have just been a member for a short time and its already a daily read !! So thank you to Bernhard and the other site admin and "owners" as well as Bermuda and other mods.

I have been admin / mod on other boards and its a never ending task keeping an eye on things and keeping things running..... so I agree a DW birthday that Larry proposed is well in order !!

I am not able to single out any one lesson I have learned here ( apart from dont chuck a wobbly on stage hehe)...im not a linear thinker in general, but each thread I read adds a little bit to the overall picture in my mind, and oddly and imperceptably my drumming has improved without conciously practicing anything ive seen here.

Its great to know the things I struggle with others have the same issues...regardless of experience ( Larry and your click sticks comes to mind) I also feel relieved I am not alone in a sea of death metal , fast as you can, double pedal drumming. There is a nice balance of styles and nuance !!

I very much appreciate the humour here and the way highly experienced drummers welcome noobs like me. Even the stoushes are fun ( that may be the Australian in me) and seem to be mostly settled "agreeably" ( as long as you dont "dis" Ringo !!)

So a big thank you from far far away Perth !!

I spend at least 1/2 hour a day at this place. Reading new and old posts.
I learn so much, laugh so much.... Its totally changed my approach to drumming, what I listen for, listen to, and the equipment I buy or want to buy. A total bonanza thanks to all of you.

We should declare the first day this site went online as a sort of internal celebration day here. Uh, what month and day would that be? Anyone?

The very first member (original admin I believe) signed in on June 17, 2005. Bernhard joined on 6/21, and on 6/24 other members (including admins Dog Breath and Nutha Jason) started signing up. So it's probably fair to call June 24, 2005 the beginning.

You have a great website here, Bernhard. I've really enjoyed coming here this past year or so. It has opened my eyes to the world of drumming and the direction I need to take my own personal journey as a drummer. I've been in my own little drumming world for so long that it isn't funny. I've never had a chance to exchange ideas and stories with other drummers. Like I said in another thread, this place has been nothing but a positive force in my life. Thanks and Cheers!

First, thank you Bernhard and all the great people behind the scenes. Especially you, Bermuda. Your attention and the amount of care you put into this place doesn't go unnoticed.

I love this place. There's a huge amount of ideas on virtually every topic related to drums, and I often can find the answers I'm looking for here. There's also lots of inspiration to be had here, in pictures and in text. The community is outstanding, and one of the best [if not the best] online community I've ever been a member of.

I spend my morning coffee on this site. Each morning feels like checking in with pals and talking shop. It reminds me of when I was a kid, and all I wanted to do was go down to the music store, look at all the great stuff, and listen to the guys behind the counter talk about music. In a way, the DW forum is like hanging out at a music store, talking drums all day. I love that.

Some / many of us have voiced our thoughts on this very topic on other threads throughout the year.

DW was my first forum joined. Before this place, I was a member several years ago of the RMMP newsgroup - remember that?

Fair to say I've learned so much about gear, respecting opinions, and playing ideas. But, the best part and the real reason I continue to come back here is for the friendship of many of the fine folks here.

I have learned so much here in the past year and a half. It is tremendous, I mean, there are some things that they won't publish in magazines (like gigs gone wrong, how often you break stricks, etc). Some of that I just find really interesting/entertaining to read, and I want to thank all of you guys for that

The very first member (original admin I believe) signed in on June 17, 2005. Bernhard joined on 6/21, and on 6/24 other members (including admins Dog Breath and Nutha Jason) started signing up. So it's probably fair to call June 24, 2005 the beginning.

Wait a second. Are you saying that Bernhard didn't originally create this site? Who did? Did the first guy bow out and Bernhard took over? I need to learn more about DW's inception, I don't want to wait for the movie.

The place is a gold mine. This place has helped me enormously in allowing me to explore my closely held, tunnel visioned attitudes about drumming, in a place where it can be evaluated by people all over the world, and it has most definitely shaped and expanded my musical focus. I've said it before that Bernhard is just as influential to the drumming world as William Ludwig, Tony Williams, and a thousand others, if not more so.

I am planning a trip to London next October for the LDS...that just would not have happened without DW. Sure I've always wanted to go there anyway, I've never been overseas before, but now that I can get to meet Andy, Duncan, Henri, and who knows who else...well that just provides the motivation I need.

DW has definitely changed me as a drummer for the better, night and day. A common testimony I'll bet too. Before I was just a lone drummer, in my own head. Now I am part of a global community. It's just huge, the difference.

I can only agree totally with everything Larry highlights.

I'd even go as far as to say, Guru drums would not exist in the form it is now, without Drummerworld forum. Sure, Dean would still have been crafting beautiful drums, & I would still have returned to drumming, but I doubt our paths would have crossed if it wasn't for the influences, guidance, & general wealth of information available here. Conclusively, Origin drums wouldn't exist, so there's a cast iron solid piece of Drummerworld legacy right there, wether that's relevant to an individual or not.

Aside from that, the other area of my life transformation I'd like to highlight, are the overwhelming warm responses, & subsequent friendships I experience here. Prior to joining this forum, I wouldn't have thought it possible for me to establish truly meaningful distance friendships. Thankfully, how wrong I was.

To pick up on Jon's 20 years ago point, I couldn't agree more. Back in the day, my only exposure to other drummers was the guys on my circuit. Although that had the benefit of face to face, time was often short, as a meeting was usually at soundcheck, a rehearsal studio, a session in a complex, etc. Here, I'm able to take subjects in depth, across oceans, in different time zones, in disparate cultures, & across all levels of experience/contexts. Just that provision alone is awesome in the extreme, & an utter departure from the fairly lonely existence of a working drummer back then.

Bernhard is the facilitator, the catalyst, & I'm most grateful for his almost stoic determination to see such a huge undertaking through to fruition. The mods too, as it takes both time & a real willingness to immerse yet remain detached. Tough call. But most of all, this forum's quality & depth is all about the members who contribute. The fact that experience is given willingly, when in almost every other area of life, such wisdom is charged for, is enough to encourage a constantly renewing new generation of players. That, is probably the most gratifying element of all.

To everyone here, wether we agree with each other or not, you have a place in my thoughts, & that's 100% thanks to Drummerworld forum.

Wait a second. Are you saying that Bernhard didn't originally create this site? Who did? Did the first guy bow out and Bernhard took over? I need to learn more about DW's inception, I don't want to wait for the movie.

Just that he was not the very first registered member of the forum... he was #2. Now that I think about it, the Drummerworld site itself undoubtedly pre-dates the forum section. A question for Bernhard...

Berrmuda

I get a ton of information from the forum. Wheather its about hardware, pedals, heads new items whatever. Its a great place to go for infomative insight before buying gear. Also when I talk drums or drumming at work or at home I get the un-interested eye rolls. Here we all have a common bond which is great. Thanks Bernard!!

I am a relatively new member here

but as you can tell by my post count in relation to my join date.....I love this place and check it multiple times per day when my schedule permits

I have learned so many things here I couldn't begin to list

but the most valuable to me have been the music industry lessons and advice I get to read about from guys like Jon Bermuda Schwartz......who have been neck deep in the music industry and whos records I have been listening to since i was in grade school

I am extremely thankful for that

I try to offer knowledge I have gained in my years of study in return

so I thank Bernard for this vehicle

and I thank you Jon for being so accessible, level headed , and willing to offer up your experiences for the benefit of others dealing with similar situations.....whether on a smaller scale or not

As a newcomer to drumming when I joined the site it has been an invaluable resource, I have been able to ask really silly newbie questions, and get very informative well thought out replies, and through the larger, non forum, part of the site, learn about a lot of influential drummers that I may never have discovered.

I also like that this site does not appear to be associated with one particular brand of drums, nor type of music, and has a readership that literally spans the whole world.

Thanks to all who have made this possible, Bernhard, the mods, techies and my fellow forum members.

For a newcomer, the world of buying your first drum kit can be overwhelming and confusing. The best aspect of DW is that any new drummer can elicit the advice of drum experts on what to buy, etc., etc. Even more valuable is when purchasing used or vintage drums or cymbals. Just think of the poor souls like myself who were not ripped off due to a lack of knowedge because of the gracious (and free!) expert opinions of guys like Steve (tamadrm) and Harry Conway. MVPs in my book. Plus conversing with drummers from other countries. Fun stuff. Thanks DW !

p.s. Don't forget the drama and knowledge that Sticks brings to the table too :)

Back