Am I crazy to trade down???

relative dimensions

I'm considering actually "trading down" from a 1997 DW Collectors (Emerald Satin Oil, 5 piece, 22" bass, 10/12/14 toms, mint condition) to a Yamaha SC Bop kit. I'm thinking about it because I'd like to downsize a bit to better suit my students and my own kids yet still have something I can proudly play and gig with on a regular basis. The lighter hardware and smaller size also appeals to me for easier portability and fitting onto the smaller stages. And maybe after 15 years I'm just in the mood for a change. The leftover $ might go to a Roland TD-4kx2 for quiet rehearsing, or maybe towards other stuff... not sure yet.

I'm not and have never been a full-time pro drummer, but back then I had the cash (and lack of other obligations) to throw at a pro kit like the DWs. In addition to a couple of students, I've got two projects going right now which are pretty typical of what I have played over the last several years - one is a classic rock cover band and the other is a funky "jazz" group along the lines of MMW, Lettuce, Staton Moore, etc.

I've played the Yamaha SC (not Bop) in the LDS and it looks and sounds fine, though in need of some heads/tuning to suit my taste. But am I crazy for selling the DWs? Anybody out there with experience on the SC in these types of gigs that can share their thoughts?

Just trying to avoid that buyers/sellers remorse.

p.s. - I realize that trading up/down can be a relative choice. Not trying to spark a DW vs Yamaha lovers' debate here, just want some solid feedback.

I don't see any harm in trading up/down selling for new, making cash whatever if it is what you need. I have considered selling my 8, 10, 12, 14, 22 Gretsch Renown for a smaller kit but figure I can arrange it to be smaller other than the bass. Do what feels right.

Have you tried playing your kit as a 4 piece, to see if it suits you?

I was thinking about getting a bop kit, and was drawn to the Yamaha one in particular. But I've been playing a 5 piece for so many years, that I'm sure I'd have a very difficult time making the transition. Sure, it'd be possible, but I decided to stick with the configuration I've always used.
So I ended up getting Stage Customs, but the 5 piece with 20" bass instead of the 3 piece bop kit with 18" bass (it doesn't come with a snare, but you might have a few already).
I tried setting it up as a 4 piece, and could use it that way if I had to, but it feels like something is missing set up that way.

Anyways, no - I don't think it's crazy to trade down (or up - or laterally). Sometimes you just gotta' scratch that itch.

Have you tried playing your kit as a 4 piece, to see if it suits you?

I was thinking about getting a bop kit, and was drawn to the Yamaha one in particular. But I've been playing a 5 piece for so many years, that I'm sure I'd have a very difficult time making the transition. Sure, it'd be possible, but I decided to stick with the configuration I've always used.
So I ended up getting Stage Customs, but the 5 piece with 20" bass instead of the 3 piece bop kit with 18" bass (it doesn't come with a snare, but you might have a few already).
I tried setting it up as a 4 piece, and could use it that way if I had to, but it feels like something is missing set up that way.

Anyways, no - I don't think it's crazy to trade down (or up - or laterally). Sometimes you just gotta' scratch that itch.

Not too worried about missing the one tom - can always add another if I find I really need it. I've played my current kit in just about every configuration possible. Do you like the SCs? In what style/venues have you used it?

The bop kit as the 18" bass drum, correct?

I'd be reluctant to use an 18" bass drum with a classic rock cover band myself. But that's just me.

But as an owner of a DW kit, I certainly feel you on the not wanted to carry it around for small bar gigs, and such. It's a pain making sure the finish stays nice, and worrying about such expensive drums in less than ideal places.

I'd be reluctant to use an 18" bass drum with a classic rock cover band myself. But that's just me.
And me too. I play a 20" bass drum in a rock setting, & even through a good PA, I'd be reluctant to drop down a size to 18".

BTW, don't concern yourself over how the kits were tuned at the LDS. Truly some of the worst kit tuning I've ever experienced, & from people who should know better :)

I know 2 players who regularly gig SC's, & they work out just fine.

One of the best local funk/jazz players I ever met played SCs for as long as I can remember. Always sounded the nuts too. Having said that....

A '97 DW collectors would be Keller shells (?) and they are becoming quite sought after. I do feel the need to ask if there is a possibility of both kits? SC bop kits can be had for reasonable money, and you could keep the DWs for that inevitable time when you think "dang, wish I still had them badboys"...

The fact that Keller-shelled dubs can't be shop-ordered and replaced easily would make me want to be 1000% sure before I let it go. If that remorse ever rears it's ugly head, (and in my experience with good gear, it will) you'll be proverbially stuffed.

Good luck man!

Hi Relative Diminesions
Keep the DW 's as a practice kit and for big paying and large gigs. Use 4 piece 20" kit for other gigs Denis

I'd keep the DW kit and buy whatever else I wanted.
Same for my '77 Gretsch USA Customs; why dump an investment ?

Not too worried about missing the one tom - can always add another if I find I really need it. I've played my current kit in just about every configuration possible. Do you like the SCs? In what style/venues have you used it?

I haven't gigged for a lot of years. It's a hobby for me. Even so, I have multiple sets - both acoustic and electronic. The SC's are a good set for the money, but I've found them a bit of a bear to get tuned to my liking.

Like others have said, it might be best to keep the DW's (but you didn't state that as an option in your first post).
Maybe you could configure them in a different way by getting a smaller BD for it and dropping a tom or something.
Or just pick up the Yamaha bop set as a spare. The SC line is priced pretty reasonably.

i like stage customs, unfortunately their bop kit (the 18" bass) only has 6 lugs. there are many other small kits that feature eight lugs. it's weird because once you get up to 20" and more for the stage custom's bass, they all have eight lugs.

Not crazy at all, man.

I own a brand new Mapex Meridian Birch kit. Then some time ago I bought a used 1992 Pearl Export for really cheap and I've been playing that kit since. Now I'm selling the Meridians.

Objectively the Meridians are better drums, but these Exports can sound great too, and to me there's something cool and appealing about playing a simple kit, not being worried about it all the time and making it sound great. This way I feel more focused on playing than on the gear itself.

Getting extra cash and an e-kit is tempting too. But hey.. that's only my opinion.

Oh, and BTW, I wouldn't get the bop, I'd go for a 20",10",12",14". It's only 2 inches bigger to lug arround and it's more versatile.

Cheers.

I'm not an expert or anything, but I too have a set of DW Collectors and recently when I wanted a smaller kit for rehearsals, I got a Gretsch Catalina Jazz with the 18" bass drum. I put an Evans EMAD on the bass batter and swapped the heads on the toms out with clear Emporer batters and clear Ambassador resos.

I tuned the kit low and I gotta say that I absolutely love it for rock. I wouldn't hesitate to use it live at all (in a club with a PA).

Here's a little video to show what I mean > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkVViKyNXRk

My vote is to pick up something like this Gretsch Catalina kit (or even the Sonor Safari or Bop kits) and keep your DWs.

i like stage customs, unfortunately their bop kit (the 18" bass) only has 6 lugs. there are many other small kits that feature eight lugs. it's weird because once you get up to 20" and more for the stage custom's bass, they all have eight lugs.

But what's stranger still, is that if you order an 18x15 Stage Custom bass drum separately (which I've considered doing), it comes with 8 lugs:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/yamaha-stage-custom-birch-18-x-15-bass-drum

It seems an odd place to cut corners on the bop kit. Not much to be gained there. But what matters in the end is the sound. If it doesn't affect it adversely, it's probably not a big deal.

The Gretsch seems like a nice kit too. Several nice versions of bop kits to pick from nowadays.

But what's stranger still, is that if you order an 18x15 Stage Custom bass drum separately (which I've considered doing), it comes with 8 lugs:

Bill.. that photo is of a 20" I am fairly certain. All the SC 18" kicks have the 6 lugs.

Bill.. that photo is of a 20" I am fairly certain. All the SC 18" kicks have the 6 lugs.

These too?

http://www.interstatemusic.com/1325...-Natural-Wood-Finish-Bass-Drum-BBD618UNW.aspx

http://www.musicarts.com/Yamaha-Stage-Custom-Birch-18--x-15--Bass-Drum-491286-i1423946.mac

http://www.music123.com/Drums-Percu...rch-18-x-15-Bass-Drum.site7prod491286.product

They're all labeled 18"x15" Stage Custom bass drums. And all places show them with 8 lugs.

Pretty sure I've seen others too.

I'm not an expert or anything, but I too have a set of DW Collectors and recently when I wanted a smaller kit for rehearsals, I got a Gretsch Catalina Jazz with the 18" bass drum. I put an Evans EMAD on the bass batter and swapped the heads on the toms out with clear Emporer batters and clear Ambassador resos.

I tuned the kit low and I gotta say that I absolutely love it for rock. I wouldn't hesitate to use it live at all (in a club with a PA).

Here's a little video to show what I mean > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkVViKyNXRk

My vote is to pick up something like this Gretsch Catalina kit (or even the Sonor Safari or Bop kits) and keep your DWs.

Thanks for that info and video link. And to everyone else with all the great feedback. It IS an option to keep the DWs, and that is what I'll do in the short run at least. That electronic kit somebody mentioned is in the back of my head though, too, for rehearsing and even teaching without ruining both my ears and theirs. However, one step at a time, right?

Anybody else wanna share some wisdom?

Don't forget to look at the Mapex Meridian Maple Manhattan or the Mapex Saturn Manhattan kits. Also the Sonor Bop kit.
If you are looking for a Bop kit these kits should not be overlooked.

Thanks for that info and video link. And to everyone else with all the great feedback. It IS an option to keep the DWs, and that is what I'll do in the short run at least. That electronic kit somebody mentioned is in the back of my head though, too, for rehearsing and even teaching without ruining both my ears and theirs. However, one step at a time, right?

Anybody else wanna share some wisdom?

If you want electrics and not masses of kits, check out the v-drums forum temporary 'cake pan' mesh head designs. It's a bit homebrew, but looks cool and you can cheaply mount the 'pads' into any existing shell. Then you buy a brain and off you go' loads cheaper than buying a new electric kit......

Back