Practice Pads

x-pack

Hi

I've just started doing what I would consider to be 'proper' drum lessons. I have been playing for a while and have taken some tuition studying basic rock beats and so on. But now I have started learning rudiments and correct technique.

The teacher uses a practice pad to show me rudiments. He places his pad on a snare separate from the kit which I sit at. I wouldn't mind getting hold of a practice pad but want something I can use away from my E-kit, say for using when i'm just sat on the sofa.

I've seen some knee practice pads, but are they any good? The pads themselves look tiny and i'm not sure having something strapped to your knee is the right position for drumming. My first thought was to buy a normal practice pad but do these need to be placed on a kit in order to be used properly?

Opinions would be appreciated

Thanks

There are a number of practice pads with various features, and while I have trouble recommending one over the other, here is some wisdom I have picked up after my mistakes.

1: Do not get a strap-on knee practice pad. The pad needs to be centered and not off to one side. You'll end up with chicken wings (on one arm).
2: Don't get a Remo practice pad. They're really loud.
3: Get a practice pad large enough that it stays centered/straddled on both legs/knees (>11") and small enough to fit on top of your snare (<14")

If you're going to ignore this advice, I'll sell you an 8" Remo pad and a no-name knee-strap pad for $35.

There are a number of practice pads with various features, and while I have trouble recommending one over the other, here is some wisdom I have picked up after my mistakes.

1: Do not get a strap-on knee practice pad. The pad needs to be centered and not off to one side. You'll end up with chicken wings (on one arm).
2: Don't get a Remo practice pad. They're really loud.
3: Get a practice pad large enough that it stays centered/straddled on both legs/knees (>11") and small enough to fit on top of your snare (<14")

If you're going to ignore this advice, I'll sell you an 8" Remo pad and a no-name knee-strap pad for $35.

Hi. No, that sounds like good advice. So (avoiding the Remo) I can buy a fairly large practice pad and use it sat down across my knees?

Thanks for the reply

Hi. No, that sounds like good advice. So (avoiding the Remo) I can buy a fairly large practice pad and use it sat down across my knees?

Thanks for the reply

Yes, unless you're near a snare stand (real or improvised). Then it goes on the stand.

I've been using my Offworld Outlander for about a year now with no complaints. Affordable, great feel (for a high-tuned snare), and it has a rim. If you want a more accurate feel for low-tuned snares/toms, any old gum rubber pad should do the trick.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not after spending a lot. Will have a look at your recommendations later on today.

+1 with Bill heavy hitter pad. Pat Patrillos pad is pretty cool also, for moving your hands around emulating different sources.

I also have a remo pad. I replaced the pad with a DIY mesh head, and now I can also play quiet. I also DIY triggered to plug into my drum module.

The Evans RealFeel 12 inch pad has been really good to me. It's not loud, it feels really good, and it's big enough to keep stable on your lap and small enough for your snare. I have bought several pads throughout the years and I have been partial to the feel of the Evans.

I actually have one of those full remo practice pad kits on a little rack and I don't mind it. Yes, it is a little loud, but in a closed bedroom, I can practice well past 10PM with no complaints from my neighbors, so it serves its' purpose in this case. I do have a rubber pad on a snare stand too, but I notice with the quieter rubber pads in a drumset configuration, the pads don't feel right. With remo pads having actual heads on them, they feel closer to drums, even though they're a bit loud.

I actually have one of those full remo practice pad kits on a little rack and I don't mind it. Yes, it is a little loud, but in a closed bedroom, I can practice well past 10PM with no complaints from my neighbors, so it serves its' purpose in this case. I do have a rubber pad on a snare stand too, but I notice with the quieter rubber pads in a drumset configuration, the pads don't feel right. With remo pads having actual heads on them, they feel closer to drums, even though they're a bit loud.

That's similar to what I have in the upstairs practice room.

I have my old electronic kit set up with my practice pad and real hi-hat. Plus a couple cymbals with mutes on them. It's not quite like the actual kit but it gets me by.

The Evans RealFeel 12 inch pad has been really good to me. It's not loud, it feels really good, and it's big enough to keep stable on your lap and small enough for your snare. I have bought several pads throughout the years and I have been partial to the feel of the Evans.

I've also used the HQ ReelFeel gum rubber pad for years. It's the best general practice pad around IMO.

Another +1 for the RealFeel HQ 12". They fit nicely on a snare stand too if you have a spare.

Back