Touring

Thanks a lot for the advice guys! I will definitely make a list and be sure to have all my necessities on it. I'm probably the most organized in the band so it'll be up to me to have all the directions/contact info/venues etc.. I'm really going to have to stock up on food because I'm not one to spend a lot of money and I don't have much in the first place!

No one mentioned the most important item, condoms!

No one mentioned the most important item, condoms!

There is that, although in general its a good idea to keep new 'friends' to a minimum while traveling. They can come back to bite you... and not in a good way! Basically, it's smartest to behave on the road as you'd behave at home.

Bermuda

I toured for two weeks across Europe with the YMA (Youth Music Abroad) program. & I can honestly say that I had fun. I would do it again. but could never do it for a living.

-Have patience with those around you. b/c even your best friend will become annoying during your tour.
-If there are any once in a lifetime experiences (like going into an abandoned mine tour) take it!
-bring lots of snacks for the bus.
-sleep on the bus. b/c you won't sleep at night with all the crazy stuff going on.
-Have Fun!

And I thought that only we, girls, packed a lot! Wow!

Just don't get to into making sure you have your most basic stuff to bring with you, and forget the most important stuff with you; or visa-verso (how ever you spell it).

A camera (even a throw-away) to document the experience. Northeast in Feb.? Get a flu-shot before departing. Best-wishes.

We have 2 coaches (tour busses) and a semi with the gear, lights & sound. Sometimes we also have another truck with merch.
LOL That explains the long list!
Some people like us flying around have the baggage overweight problem.

The list thing is a nice idea though. I usually do a last minute wallet-tickets-cell phone-all kinds of chargers check. Almost every problem can be solved with a cell phone and a credit card, never forget that.

I'd say eat good, get good sleep and don't party like hell every night! Maybe you have to play again after some hundreds of km the next day... Nice to not have a hangover.

Hi Ryan, I am going to add two things to the list that is very well covered by everyone else.

When I tour, I always have a copy of my signed contract with the record label and booking agency outlining what percentages we will be payed as well as what is to be provided for us. I keep this on hand also because it describes who is responsible for my gear while we are on the road if it is stolen or damaged in (god forbid) a car accident. If you have a contract for your tour, a copy may always come in handy.

I also bring a checklist that a make maybe 50 or copies of (depending on how long the tour is) that has all my gear on it. Each night when we load up to go to the next gig, i check all my gear off of this list as it goes on the van to ensure everything made it on the van so i dont leave anything behind anywhere.

Also, bring your cell phone charger and buy an extra battery before you leave to be on the safe side. I would advise band mates to do the same. you never know when an emergency might strike. Along those lines, keep EXTRA blankets, jackets, maybe even a sub-0 sleeping bag, hats, gloves, ect. New England can be frigid and you dont wanna get stuck on the side of the road without these things.

If you dont have AAA, get it before you leave.

Have fun and be safe, make it as enjoyable as you can this time or you wont want to go next time :)

-Matt

Haha, well I got a girlfriend... but who knows how long that'll last. I'm sure she's not gunna be cool with me leaving for two weeks.

Wait until you have to tell a wife/girlfriend you'll be leaving for 2 months... or longer!

A strong relationship is crucial if you're pursuing success in music (that is, traveling from time to time, being out Friday & Saturday nights when that's her weekend and she'd like to go out, keeping a bunch of gear stacked in the garage or inside the house, etc.)

Bermuda

Hahaha well the girlfriend thing isn't a big deal, two weeks ain't that long. The tour is actually march-april so it won't be that cold and yeah I got a camera to document everything.

Laundry soap, dryer sheets, air freshener, NyQuil, condoms, video games, and trash bags

Actually, laundry soap and a roll of quarters is a very good idea. Well, for a long tour anyway. For 2 weeks, you should bring one week's worth of clothes, a roll of quarters, and just buy soap as you need it.

Note that if you're playing theaters, there is often a washer & dryer & soap there for your use. Don't count on it though, and don't forget that you'll be competing with other band & crew members for use of the machines around the same time mid-tour. And if that doesn't work and you're not near a laundromat, the hotel laundry room at 1am after the gig is the place to be. I've been hotel-bound many times when I'd rather be sleeping, or out running around, just monitoring my laundry. Priorities... :)

Bermuda

if you can afford to stay in a hotel!

hahaha

;)

Alex

Even on our first tour, as a bunch of kids in our twenties, we had hotel rooms. It's not a luxury, it's a basic necessity, just like getting paid for the gigs.

The hotel doesn't need to be fancy - Motel 6 & Travelodges are fine - and it's common for bandmates to share rooms, but a quiet place to sleep and recharge is rule #1 when traveling.

Bermuda

Yeah hotels are good but we might just sleep in the van some of the nights though since we all don't have much money. I don't work that much so I got to start saving soon.

Back