Studio Pics + Drum Cover

Calummordue

My cover of Plug In Baby by the great band MUSE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSU2n1qiUio

Kick - AKG D112 on the front, Shure Drum kit Set Bass mic picking up the beater
Snare - Shure SM57 on the Top, Shure SM58 on the bottom
Floor Tom - Shure SM57
Hi Hats - AKG C1000
Overheads - AKG 414 stereo matched pair

Tama Superstar kit
Sabian Cymbals
Mac Pro G5
Logic Pro
Digidesign Interface.
Sony Handycam HD camera

I was using the Equipment of the Studio at my school.
(Cymbals and cam are mine)

Pics of the studio

DSC00265.jpg
DSC00266.jpg
DSC00270.jpg

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00264.jpg

DSC00272.jpg
DSC00273.jpg

Bit of helpful advice here. You might have the best in gear but it doesn't mean much because your timing is really bad. I think you should practice with a metronome a bit more.

The timing is only off in the build ups.

I wouldn't call your timing really bad, but it's not very good either. It's obviously off in the build-ups, but that's where it is most disturbing. During the groove your right hand is spot on, but you're rushing things a little with your snare drum somehow. And your kick drum is also often off, for example at around 2:40 until 3:05 it's quite obvious.

I am not trying to discourage you. You've got sufficient technique, but timing is paramount for drumming. Good news is: all of this are things you can work on. Start doing some rudimentary exercises to a metronome, start at a pace where you're 100% sure you can pull it off accurately. You'll get better in a matter of weeks, not months. Trust me, I've been exactly where you are. The moment I started practising to a click I started getting better. After about 8 weeks of practising with a metronome my timing became rock solid!

Very nice drums and cymbals (especially the HHX crash) by the way!

The timing is only off in the build ups.

Pretty much what big philly says. It's actually off in a lot of places but it's really obvious in the build ups. You just need to practice with a metronome and really listen to it and what you're playing and you'll start to notice where you're off so you can sort it out. As i say, i'm trying to help you out here.

The thing is the song is plug in baby, dominic howard quite often rushes certain parts of muse's songs live including plug in baby. I'll admit the snare in the rythem is off sometimes but other than that it's a pretty solid cover.

Another tip for your timing. Instead of just practising to a metronome try listening to different instruments in the band. A lot of drummers rely on the bass but something really good for your timing is taking the guitar riff and playing it over in your head whilst playing.

A great exercise for practising is to play a simple 4/4 beat and in your head sing a triplet rhythm. As you do this you are thinking about where the start of each beat is meant to meaning that your hands and feet will land perfectly in time. Keep trying harder and harder rhythms and in no time your timing will get even better and you will find that you will be doing this subconciously. It doesnt work for everyone but its great if it does, just practice it a lot and burn it into your muscle memory.

Back