How To Promote Self For Future Opportunities ?

drumbler

I play in one dance band. I am past 60, but I know a lot of bands in town that have older players and are working. Without stepping on toes or looking like you are trying to displace other drummers, HOW do you get KNOWN to other musicians and bands in town ? Are jam sessions good ? What are your fave methods for NET-WORKING for possible drum positions in the future ? Thank You.

I go see other bands perform, introduce myself to the band members. I tell them where I am gigging. I invite them to come and see my show. During breaks I talk to them. I might invite them to jam with us as a "special guest star." I'll introduce them to the audience as members of [band name]. I'll tell them if there is a gig opening up somewhere, share musician news with them - this venue is closing, that manager quit and the new manager is ---. I've made many friends with other musicians this way. People at the venues get to know me, musicians get to know me, and I get offered gigs. Today I'm gigging with a local band as a fill in drummer. Next week I'm playing a gig with a keyboard player from another band. It takes years to get known but if you are a good guy then opportunities appear.

Networking is key. In this business, it's not who you know... it's who knows you. That applies at every level of making music.

Probably the easiest, no-pressure, most comfortable way to get your name and playing around is to participate at the local jam nights. In larger metro areas, there are jams happening just about every night of the week. Some are called 'blues jam' just to remaining inviting enough for all players, but the styles can vary widely depending who's on deck and the people around them. I've seen some serious Latin and fusion at my local Thursday night 'blues' jam, balanced with a healthy dose of oldies & classic rock, some jazz, country, and even some blues!

Most jams are a social thing as much as a place to let off a little musical steam and just have some fun. But you meet people, and that's where the networking - however passive - occurs. If another player wants your number or email, that's a good sign. If you're not asked for your contact info, don't worry about it, each night is different and different players show up for week to week. Invest some time in as many jams as you can, once you're known by the other players, opportunities will find you.

Bermuda

Last edited:
What Jon said. Play around as much as possible - open mics, multi band events..... Pass out your information/business cards and let band members know that you're available to fill in whenever needed. But mostly be visible playing.

Most jams are a social thing as much as a place to let off a little musical steam...

Let me clarify a little, I'm not suggesting that a jam is a place to go wild (although some attenders treat it that way.) On the contrary, it's smart to treat a jam like an audition. Play the way you would play on a gig. People are listening and making mental notes about the players they hear. Someone may be actively looking for a new drummer, or at least they'll remember you when they need a sub (which often leads to a permanent spot with a working group.)

Bermuda

Back