Most Under-rated Drummers

Well My first nominee would be myself. seriously under rated lol. Im jk. But seriously Gary Mallaber is one of em. Played drums on Steve Millers "fly like an eagle" album. The great part about all the drum tracks on that album are that they all sound relatively strait forward and simple but there soooo not. Really good rhythms. If you haven't actually sat down and really heard what he is playing check it out.

I know this is all based on personal opinion but how is Tommy Lee under-rated?

Some people tend to focus on Tommy's outspoken life, showmanship above his drumming style. He has great fills, bass drum triplets, power and endurance on his playing, specifically on records such as: Too Fast For Love, Shout At The Devil, Theatre Of Pain, Girls Girls Girls...

I would have to say Terreon Gully. Go listen to him. The only time I see or hear about him is in the magazines advertising Premier kits. He really is great.

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread but here are my picks:
-Chad Kent- Atomship (some of the most creative and complicated rock drumming ever)
-Steve Judd- Karnivool (intricate drumming and groove that is even more amazing when you
realize that he is doing more than what you first thought +odd times)
-Joe Thibodeau- Kristian Stanfill (nobody has probably heard of him since it's a Christian
artist but he has some really creative grooves)
-Nathan Folowill- Kings of Leon (Once again, creativity prevails)
-Steve Bowman and Jim Bogios- Counting Crows (both have played for the Crows and are
often overlooked despite great playing)
-Mario Duplantier- Gojira (super double bass drumming and good grooves and shuffles)

Some people tend to focus on Tommy's outspoken life, showmanship above his drumming style. He has great fills, bass drum triplets, power and endurance on his playing, specifically on records such as: Too Fast For Love, Shout At The Devil, Theatre Of Pain, Girls Girls Girls...
I'm going to come out of hiding and chime in with you here. Not only does he play cool beats with really tasty fills. His meter is just rock-solid, and it's super groovy. I've always loved his drumming. I wish he'd have played in a more serious band where it wouldn't have been so hard to recognize what a great player he is.

Two Words - Mario Rubalcaba. Mind-Blasting. I guess that was four

Ian Thomas played with Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood at Madison Square Garden. Great Hi-Hat linear fills

Flo Mounier-Cryptopsy--surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet
Van Williams-Nevermore
the drummer from Reverand Horton Heat--forgot his name
Brain
John Longstreth-Origin
John Merriman-Cephalic Carnage
Phil Collins
Jason Rullo-Symphony X
Marco Minneman
The drummer from Warbringer
Chris Slade

Tommy "The Dork" Aldridge

That guy basically invented Rock Double Bass and at 60 (I think), he's still got more energy and stage presense than anybody I've ever seen.

I think one of the most underrated drummers is Manu Katche. Just because he does not do a lot of extreamly technical stuff however few can be as musical as him.

I think one of the most underrated drummers is Manu Katche. Just because he does not do a lot of extreamly technical stuff however few can be as musical as him.

I would agree if he were underrated...I don't believe he is. Everyone I've ever talked to about him, loves him.

Jack Irons - if he's not on here already. Super unique and impossible to imitate.

I drag out The Uplift Mofo Party Plan often. I agree....saw JI with Pearl Jam in the late 90's and whilst he was ok, he didn't blow me away. His one and only RHCP album is awesome. Man I wish there were more recordings of that line up with Jack and Hillel Slovak........his playing just comes alive in that context. Definitely my favourite Chili Peppers album and Jack's playing on it is a big part of the reason why. It's a great prelude of the things to come with Chad.

I'll give my answer by quoting others...

"Starr is vastly underrated. The drum fills on the song "A Day in the Life" are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' He wouldn't know what to do." - Drummer Phil Collins

Ian Fraser Kilmister of Motorhead- "Ringo's the most underrated drummer in the history of rock and roll."

Yoko Ono - "Ringo is the most underrated drummer in the industry! His drumming is like life—it gives you the most solid beat. When he drummed on my Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band album, I was totally amazed that he had no difficulty in following the very complex improvisational vocals I did – again, no overdubs. I think his incredible drumming was what made so many great Beatles songs possible. We thank you, Ringo!"

Back