Why the "hate" for nylon tips??

I use nylon & wood, different sizes and brands.
Regal Tip make a series of sticks that use a specially designed nylon tip that almost simulates the sound of wood.

http://www.regaltip.com/products/drum-sticks/e-series

These are good option sound wise. I have used them and they are fine sticks.
Presently I am using Vic Firth 5bN and they are working out just fine.
Anyway it is not a bad idea to have your cymbals cutting through if you are playing some spirited music live.

I use to love nylon tips, especially the ping I would get from my ride. Now I use wood and prefer a more mellow sound coming from my sticks, but don't hate on the nylons one bit! My ears just changed what sounded "right" to them.

The one thing I don't see which I do "hate" is how they mark up the ride cymbal.

I've never noticed nylon tips marking a ride cymbal. I use nylon tips 90% of the time. I've always hated the way wooden tips left marks on the white drum heads... Now I'm going to take a closer look to see which is true.

By the way, I find the Regal Tip nylon tips have more bounce and a 'lighter' tone than the Vic Firth nylon tips. I find the VF's sound harsh and heavy on my ride cymbals. But I like how the VF's feel stiffer and heavier, and lay into the drums a bit more. In a perfect world I'd have the VF wood with an RT tip. I guess I could try one in each hand - one for ride cymbal, one for snare.

Bah. It depends who you're playing with, how hard you're hitting, how much "ping" you want from the cymbals... Saying you hate nylon sticks is like saying you hate mallets or brushes or any stick other than the one you're used to.

When I was 5 a gang of nylon tips killed my parents

I just don't care for the sound. If I were playing some very light jazz I would probably consider them.

I just don't care for the sound. If I were playing some very light jazz I would probably consider them.

Wouldn't nylon tips be way too loud for light jazz? That's one of the main issues people have with nylon, is that it's loud and has an inorganic tone, so it wouldn't be good for jazz at all...

Well not really experienced at gigs in jazz but I was thinking about the ride articulation. But that is just speculation on my part.

I personally don't care for the nylon sound off of the cymbals. But hey, if you like that go for it.

Everyone is different and all have their own likes and dislikes regarding sound and feel.

I don't like the action of 5B tips either so I went to a 3A which suits me.

It doesn't come down to any "hate" or any other such nonsense...

For me, over time, it has come down to: Round tips, Wood.

Last edited:
Never heard of a 'hate on' for nylon tips. In any case that why they make drum bags - I keep a mixed bag of everything.. but I generally use Vic Firth 5AN nylon tips. Why? I like the feel, balance and the pingier sound on cymbals. I also like the Dave Weckl wood tips.. but I can chew through those tips in a few gigs.. really nice stick, but they don't last (for me).

I like Pro-Mark 7A's with the plastic tip (since I don't have a set, I can play air drums and not get anything damaged). Even if I had a drum set, which I hopefully will in the very near future, I would still use Pro-Mark 7A's because they don't feel too heavy for my hands. :)

I like the sound and feel of nylon tips.
I've been playing since 1971, and a tip has never come off a stick.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe I read somewhere that Ronnie Tutt used nylon tips on his sticks (Regal 5B's endorser) and during a rehearsal with Elvis one time, one of the tips came off, barely missing Elvis! Elvis's words were, if I remember them correctly, "****, Ronnie!" Are you shooting bullets at me back there?"

I'd have to ask about it again in a RT page/group on FB to get it accurate.

I have been using Nylon tip sticks for years and years with no problems. Better response on cymbals and a slightly brighter sound on them as well. I play technically on both my cymbals and heads. I don’t have issues with denting or breaking heads and my sticks wear our but don’t break. The technique of how you strike your drums and cymbals will do a lot to how the sticks preform for you. Play to the head/cymbal not through it.

Play to the head/cymbal not through it.

If more drummers understood this, there would be less drum volume deafening people, less dislike for drummers who bang, not play, and the world would be a better place.

If more drummers understood this, there would be less drum volume deafening people, less dislike for drummers who bang, not play, and the world would be a better place.

Play to the head and not through it?

I've heard the exact opposite advice given in regards to getting a fuller tone with less physical force and allowing the energy of the strike to leave your arms/wrists/joints.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding that phrase. Pitchers don't stop moving after their release point, golfers don't after the driver strikes ball......why would a drummer stop their sticks on a dime after contact?

Because we're not trying to drive a golf ball 300 yards. :)

Back