Rebuilt (still not completely original) Dynasonic!

doomtron

So, maybe some of you saw my other thread here: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91927. Anyway, I finally got all of the parts for the drum to at least get it in working order and, wow! I'm impressed. Even without the snare tray it sounds awesome. Has that articulate 70s Big Band "Buddy Rich" type sound, but is also very resonant and "brassy", and also, LOUD, especially the rimshots. It has an awesome cross-stick sound too. I haven't even really begun to dial in the tuning on it either, and I'm excited to just hearing how great is sounds as is.

Anyway, it's still sort of a work in progress as I still have to order a new snare-side hoop for it (the one I have is slightly bent, but still gets the job done and tunes up fine), and I may get one of those Rhythm Tech snare tray things (Sorry, Ploughman :/ I read some positive reviews from people who used it as a replacement snare tray on their Dynasonic and I'm curious now, lol) until I can afford/find a good deal on an actual Dyna tray (although that may not even be necessary, considering it sounds just fine with some plain-ol' Gibraltar wires on it, it's a little buzzy probably due to the obvious lack of snare beds, but it's not really all that bad).

Pics are attached below (sorry for the grainy cell-phone quality of them)!

Attachments

• Copy of IMG034.jpg
    Copy of IMG034.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 461
  • Copy of IMG035.jpg
    Copy of IMG035.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 405
Finger tight +2 turns on top.
Finger tight +2.5 turns on bottom.

I owned and played a Dynasonic exclusively for 20 years. It was my only snare drum. I considered the Rhythm tech thing a waste of money.

Finger tight +2 turns on top.
Finger tight +2.5 turns on bottom.

I owned and played a Dynasonic exclusively for 20 years. It was my only snare drum. I considered the Rhythm tech thing a waste of money.

I just figured it would hold me over until I can get my hands on the real tray, and maybe cut down on some of the excess snare buzz (you can't hear it at all in context with the full kit, but by itself it's a tiny bit irritating, and I don't want to over-tighten the wires and damage the shell, however I'm still not sure it's really bothering me to the point of wanting to try the Rhythm Tech thing).

Anyway, I've got it about finger tight +2 turns on bottom and finger tight plus maybe 2.5ish (maybe a little higher) turns on top right now and it sounds really good but I'll try out your tuning for sure!

Wonderful! I gave my last Dynasonic to a student. It was in as new condition. Great drums. Rogers, Slingerland, Leedy... I miss them. :-(

Back