Guru Drumworks prototype kit, THE VIDEO!

I think I may have just found the company to order custom drums from in the future.

Yea me too. I forgot all about Vaughncraft and remaking a round badge set, I want a set of those Gurus. 4 drums that's it, kick, 2 racks, and a floor.

Andy w/ a 22 inch kick, will that put the racks too high? What are the depth of the racks?

Yea me too. I forgot all about Vaughncraft and remaking a round badge set, I want a set of those Gurus. 4 drums that's it, kick, 2 racks, and a floor.

Andy w/ a 22 inch kick, will that put the racks too high? What are the depth of the racks?
No problem with depths of your choice Larry, but as a friend, I've got to talk you out of jumping into this. You really need to see & hear the production kits first. I think you can trust me to ensure the production kits will have all the tone advantages of the prototype & more besides, but they won't have the look. Anyhow, I need to prove to myself & everyone else that we can make this happen in real life, & repeat it consistently. The production kits will be a ton cheaper, a lot lighter, & I can pretty much confirm there'll be a solid steambent option too. Watch out Craviotto! Even better, they'll come with full wood hoop, die cast, triple flange, & S hoop options.

The production kits will almost certainly feature a more standard bass drum. Still lovely stave or solid steambent, & stunningly made with love, but the sonic difference between the construction styles just isn't worth double the money, especially as I'm convinced we can get a more simple construction to equal or exceed the prototype sound.

Keep making great music as you are Larry, then when the time comes, we'll find a way to make your dream kit a reality.

OK Andy, but in my mind you (and Dean) have the best drum construction ideas on earth and I will wait patiently for your fruits to be ripe for the picking. I'll just suffer through with my DW's lol.

I think it's a bit scary how I'm anticipating any news on these new production drums though they're still in the design stage the same way I anticipate a new album from a band I love etc. etc.... Sort of odd, because I'd normally never equate anticipating drum gear with the same anxiety and excitement that I would with new music haha. And on top of it all, it's going to be years and years until i can even afford such drums! What's wrong with me? ahahaha

OK Andy, but in my mind you (and Dean) have the best drum construction ideas on earth and I will wait patiently for your fruits to be ripe for the picking. I'll just suffer through with my DW's lol.
No suffering involved Larry. Your drums sound just great to me, but that has a lot to do with the drummer.

I think it's a bit scary how I'm anticipating any news on these new production drums though they're still in the design stage the same way I anticipate a new album from a band I love etc. etc.... Sort of odd, because I'd normally never equate anticipating drum gear with the same anxiety and excitement that I would with new music haha. And on top of it all, it's going to be years and years until i can even afford such drums! What's wrong with me? ahahaha
Nothing wrong with you Chaos, you've fallen in love!

Creamy!! That is an astounding sounding kit my friend. The wav. file is good but I can't imagine how much better they sound in person. There's a certain richness to the kit that's like a fine wine (that's the only way I can really put it). Man, if I could have an hour alone with that baby.... heh. The toms have such defined notes, I love it! Back to the richness I was talking about, this is where (to me) that really shines through. The musicality of the toms (and the kit in general) has such a clarity to them, that it's really quite astonishing. I'm willing to bet that when you hit a rimshot on that snare, it's the kind that your bandmates feel in their chest. That beast has such a delicious thud to it, while still retaining the clarity of a highly tuned snare. This is such a nicely designed drum. How are the overtones on it? The kick. Well, this falls a bit flat for me. It’s probably just the micing but to me it’s just lacking a certain oomph the rest of the kit has, but I’m sure it’s different in person. :) Also it might be my bias against 20” deep kicks. Hahaha.

So again, killer kit Andy, I hope you Get many years of great use out of it! Oh, and those cymbals are some of the best sounding pies I’ve heard in a long while!!

-Jonathan

Creamy!! That is an astounding sounding kit my friend. The wav. file is good but I can't imagine how much better they sound in person. There's a certain richness to the kit that's like a fine wine (that's the only way I can really put it). Man, if I could have an hour alone with that baby.... heh. The toms have such defined notes, I love it! Back to the richness I was talking about, this is where (to me) that really shines through. The musicality of the toms (and the kit in general) has such a clarity to them, that it's really quite astonishing. I'm willing to bet that when you hit a rimshot on that snare, it's the kind that your bandmates feel in their chest. That beast has such a delicious thud to it, while still retaining the clarity of a highly tuned snare. This is such a nicely designed drum. How are the overtones on it? The kick. Well, this falls a bit flat for me. It’s probably just the micing but to me it’s just lacking a certain oomph the rest of the kit has, but I’m sure it’s different in person. :) Also it might be my bias against 20” deep kicks. Hahaha.

So again, killer kit Andy, I hope you Get many years of great use out of it! Oh, and those cymbals are some of the best sounding pies I’ve heard in a long while!!

-Jonathan
Thank you so much Jonathan! I'm glad you like the tom & snare sounds. The snare is a standard stave Guru drum. No innovation there, but that's because it doesn't need messing with, lol!

As for the bass drum, please bear in mind that there's no close mic's here, just three overheads. We used overheads to capture the natural sound as much as possible. That's great for toms & snare, but crap for capturing the power in a bass drum. In real life, that bass drum is wonderful, & suffers from non of the overtone issues normally associated with deeper drums.

Glad you liked the cymbals too. I chose that series to complement the earthy nature of the kit. They're unlathed & quite dry, but musical at the same time.

Thanks for taking time to listen & reply Jonathan. Much appreciated. I'll update this thread with progress on the production kit.

Andy.

Thank you so much Jonathan! I'm glad you like the tom & snare sounds. The snare is a standard stave Guru drum. No innovation there, but that's because it doesn't need messing with, lol!

As for the bass drum, please bear in mind that there's no close mic's here, just three overheads. We used overheads to capture the natural sound as much as possible. That's great for toms & snare, but crap for capturing the power in a bass drum. In real life, that bass drum is wonderful, & suffers from non of the overtone issues normally associated with deeper drums.

Glad you liked the cymbals too. I chose that series to complement the earthy nature of the kit. They're unlathed & quite dry, but musical at the same time.

Thanks for taking time to listen & reply Jonathan. Much appreciated. I'll update this thread with progress on the production kit.

Andy.
That's what I thought concerning the bass, too bad I can't hear it in person! Do you use any muffling in it?

You're welcome Andy, I look forward to seeing/hearing about it!

-Jonathan

That's what I thought concerning the bass, too bad I can't hear it in person! Do you use any muffling in it?

You're welcome Andy, I look forward to seeing/hearing about it!

-Jonathan
Sorry, missed your reply Jonathan. No muffling, but there is a small section of Evans drum pillow in the bottom of the shell. Not touching either head, just sitting there on a strip of velcro. I found that without anything in there, there was a slight upper overtone ring, almost a metallic sort of sound. That small amount of absorbent material just seems to soak those little high overtone traces up.

I will echo all that has been said about the sound. I also love the look that you've achieved. Very distinctive and beautiful like fine furniture. Truly outstanding work. I would kill to try them. Well maybe not kill...maim perhaps.

I will echo all that has been said about the sound. I also love the look that you've achieved. Very distinctive and beautiful like fine furniture. Truly outstanding work. I would kill to try them. Well maybe not kill...maim perhaps.
Why thank you DD, although I don't want to be responsible for serious injuries (well, except maybe Bob, but be careful, he has a mean tractor (currently suffering extreme tractor envy)) : ) : )

I love the sound of these toms Andy!

Kit sounds great, cool ostinato in the begining aswell as the little shuffle beat you got going in the middle:)
Thumbs up!
/W

I love the sound of these toms Andy!

Kit sounds great, cool ostinato in the begining aswell as the little shuffle beat you got going in the middle:)
Thumbs up!
/W
Thanks Mickael! I really appreciate your kind words, & I'm glad you liked the sound. We're working on the production kit right now. It follows the same principals as this kit, but very different in it's design. Unfortunately, as you've just taken up an endorsement, I can't tempt you to play these wonderful drums, lol!

My dear friend, what can i say?, that set is really wonderfull!, i like too much the natural sound of the toms and the look reminds me of those priceless instruments from the Middle Ages, my deepest congratulations on the new Acquisition!.
All the best for you and yours.Rod.
Thanks Rod! I'm glad you liked the drums, & also picked up on the slightly "Tudor" look to the instrument. More than a acquisition though, lots of design work & partnering with Dean on the build. Anyhow, good to hear from you my friend. Fondest regards, Andy.

Awesome, this is the first drum set that has the deep warm resonant tone that caused me to purchase my radial pros back in 1999, since then I have found every thing else just a bit lacking until now and being a radial owner I also find the non use of conventional hardware attached to the shell very pleasing to the eye as its somewhat similar to a set of radials with wood hoops. That being said if something were to happen to my existing set and find myself in need of another acoustic kit these will surely be #1 on my list.

Awesome, this is the first drum set that has the deep warm resonant tone that caused me to purchase my radial pros back in 1999, since then I have found every thing else just a bit lacking until now and being a radial owner I also find the non use of conventional hardware attached to the shell very pleasing to the eye as its somewhat similar to a set of radials with wood hoops. That being said if something were to happen to my existing set and find myself in need of another acoustic kit these will surely be #1 on my list.
Thanks tard. You'll be pleased to know that we're releasing a production version of this kit next year. It will look very different to this prototype (no chassis/cage, & available with regular hoops & suspension mounts), but will have the same sonic properties, only better. It'll also be available as a solid stembent shell as well as solid stave!

I have been thinking of buying a set of Roland V for practice due to their silent qualities when needed. I have also been toying with the idea that I should buy a new kit to gig with and retire the radials and only use them for home studio due to them still being in very good shape and the lack of support offered by Peavey causing the inability to repair or replace them in the event they were to get damaged. The problem now was what to buy that I would enjoy playing as much as my radials. I believe you may have provided the answer to my problem and would appreciate any info on the production version as it becomes available and the options available, ie: rims,mounts, heads etc. FYI I am not a stickler for brand name parts and I dont get disappointed if they are not used nor do I get blindly excited if they are. I find it illogical to purchase a higher priced brand name item when a lower priced one can be purchased that is just as strong and does the same job for a lower price. Over the years I have found that certain lower priced Dixon (which is built in the same plant as the higher priced Gibraltar) Worldmax and Canon hardware and mounts as well as Aquarian heads are every bit as good if not better than some of the higher priced brand name parts and accessories available. I am also a member of the radial pro owners group on facebook and would be happy to pass on the info as there are many others as well that have retired their radials and are forced to play other kits that are lacking the warm resonant tone that they have become use to.

Well keepitsimple, I've only made a few posts on the forum but I've been reading for quite some time and I must say I am so pleased to see this of yours!! I've greatly enjoyed your advice, discussions, and now, Guru drums!

Look forward to seeing/hearing more! Best of luck!

Back