Most Under-rated Drummers

I wouldn't say he is the most under-rated drummer but, definitely under-rated. Matt Johnson who was the drummer with late Jeff Buckley. His playing on the album GRACE is soooo tasteful, He locks in to some great grooves but also has some great chops. If any of you have never listened to Jeff Buckley, I highly suggest picking up the album GRACE. As far a alternative rock goes it is a work of art. Jeff Buckley was probably one of the best male singer/song writers to exist in his time if not of all time. If you are into alternative rock, this album will be a influence on you as musician and a drummer.

Most under-rated drummer: Jeff Sipe of Hellberg, Sipe and Lane. This guy is incredible!

Jamie

Sum 41 may not be a great band i don't even like punk but some of the stuff that this guy does is incredible. Also through his playing comes his attitude.
He is incredibly fast, he manages to sing while drumming at tempos higher than 200 beats per minute, atleast. Yeah so......mmmmm!!!!

Dominic howard, Muse nobody really seems to give him the credit he deserves...

Listen to songs like Butterflies and Hurricanes and Hyper music to see what i mean...

I so agree!
I've been listening too Muse much lately and I've been thinking alot about how under-rated he is! And also i'd like to say that Matt Bellamy's singing is really great, and not just some whining, like some people say.

Mark O'Connell from Taking Back Sunday is a pretty solid drummer. I don't know if people give him credit, but I don't see many people talking about him.

Yeah.
Dave Grohl I reckon, in Nirvana, simple beats and perfect fills.
No 200bpm blasting, or flashy fills, just worked the song and made it right
without being too technical and over the top.
Bands like Dream Theater and Tool are great, but sometimes I think it's nice to have a little break from thinking.
Also, Taylor Hawkin's a pretty wicked drummer, much like Castillo from QOTSA.

The drummer that currently plays with Earth, Wind & Fire. I believe his name is John Paris but I haven't been able to find anything about him. Tried a Google search, but not much help.

joey castillo is pretty under rated evrybody thinks quuens of the stone age oh dave grohl(I LOVE HIM) no one even knows him at all and he is amazing saw the queens last weekend and his stage presance is amazing just as good as josh's and he plays a mean drums.Also kenny arnoff is amazing and no one even fully sees what he has done for modern music.most over rated drummer joey jordinson i know it aint the topic but his only fans are 13 year old who want to go fast and that aint what drumming is about

Don Brewer from Grand Funk is totally under-rated also Steve Miller's drummer forgot his name see how under-rated he is LOL Sully from Godsmack believe it or not is a good drummer also.

Keep Swatting,
Bonzolead

Dave McClain of Machine head is also really under-rated... He's really good. Really consistent and talented. I really don't know why so few people know about him.

Sully Erna also... He doesn't play drums in any band I know of though... But that drum-off impressed me.

I think Wuv of P.O.D. and Chad Butler of Switchfoot are horribly underrated. They're really good drummers just that they don't get recognition because they're drummers in Christian bands. Wuv especially. He's one of my favourite drummers.

Let's see someone nail that minute and half solo i put up here... I think it's safe to say 85% of drummers won't be able to do that solo...

I think Japanese jazz drummer Takeo Moriyama is one of the most under-rated veterans.
I'm not sure if he matches this thread's theme because he has awesome hands & foot techniques, but his play is not like so-called technical drummer. His play is really emotional and strong with extremely high intensity.
He has never played in the United States, but he played in Europe (Moers, Berlin, Heidelberg, Ljubljana, etc) as the drummer of a bassless free-jazz band Yosuke Yamashita Trio in the 70's. Moriyama's play during this period is very unique and just outstanding & overwhelming - you can hear it in some of Yosuke Yamashita Trio's albums such as CLAY (Enja, recorded live at Moers in 1974) or CHIASMA (MPS, recorded live at Heidelberg in 1975). Maybe you will feel like it's more like "progressive rock with blast beat" than jazz. I guess Yamashita Trio w/ Moriyama in this period is one of the best free-jazz band in the world.
Moriyama changed his style to more traditional one after he quit Yamashita's band, but still his style is very unique. Recently he recorded two leader albums w/ George Garzone as a guest. Also he sometimes makes "reunion" with Yamashita and Akira Sakata (alto sax & clarinet, who was playing with Moriyama and Yamashita in CLAY and CHIASMA), and even now - all of them are over 60 y/o - they can play as they did in the 70's. I hope Moriyama with Yamashita and Sakata will have an opportunity to play in a big stage like Modern Drummer Festival before they become too old.

Hello. Curious: What do you think of Otomo Yoshihide's ONJQ? I think that's one of the best bands working today. The album "LIVE" is amazing - well..."Flutter" and "Eureka" are and that's enough to make me talk about it. Those pieces are so amazing...

Anyway - it seems that people just like throwing out names that don't get recommended that much. You want an underrated drummer? Jesus, how about Joe Chambers. I won't even break into my obscure list of drummers I think are absolutely more important than 99% of the dregs most people worship. But man, Joe Chambers was a direct extension of Elvin and Tony and a bunch of other great drummers, and he absolutely KILLED it on some of those late 60's Wayne Shorter Blue Note records....Great drummer. No one seemes to know him...Jump off a cliff.

imo the most underated drum is Ryan Vikedal, Nickelback's old drummer.

Terry Chambers of XTC. I started a thread on him in the Drummers forum a coupla weeks ago and no one has posted a reply yet! In a website by, for, and about drummers, no one knows/cares who Terry Chambers is? I think that definitely classifies him as under-rated.

I've always thought he was very original and had a great, huge ambient sound. I used to be the biggest Police/Stuart Copeland fan, but when I saw both bands share a bill at UC Santa Barbara many years ago, I was more impressed with Chambers than Copeland. (Probably gonna catch a flame or two for saying that!!)

C'mon people, check out some of XTC's tracks on iTunes or elsewhere and see if he deserves a little better.

Back