I WANT to break my cymbal!!!! How?????

Donv said:
Back in the early 70's, I used a cracked 22", 2002 as a sled on the local country club hills. Nothing, and I mean nothing worked better. Everyone wanted to use it. 4 small holes and some string was all it took. My dad still has the cymbal under his work bench.

I had an awful cymbal in my first kit. Adding a few sizzles improved it 100%. It didn't turn the pig's ear into a silk purse, but it became a much-improved pig's ear.

Breaking cymbals to improve sound is risky business unless you have mucho $$. Still, Bill Bruford used a broken cymbal to great effect ... from the FAQs on Bill's website (http://www.billbruford.com/bill/faq.html):

19) What was that great cymbal on the Red album by King Crimson?

The cymbal was featured on One More Red Nightmare from King Crimson's Red album, and has quietly become a legend. I found it in the rehearsal room trash can, deposited there by the group in the room before us. It was turned up on one side in an effort to get it to fit in the bin, like an Australian bush hat; it had definitely seen better days. It was a "foreign made" Zilco Standard cymbal imported into the UK by Arbiter Co. Ltd., and, before you ask, I have no idea what happened to Zilco.

Anyway, its maltreatment had bequeathed it this fabulous trashy sound with a very short, fast decay. It looked so sad; I took pity on it and we fell in love. I used it for about a year or so before it split, and the end came swiftly after that.

I sent the CD to Paiste Cymbals in Switzerland, with a view to them creating something similar, but heard no more.​

I wish that I was young, restless, and full of that kind of anger again!
Now-A-Days I simply donate my unwanted cymbals to a school that has many low income students that struggle to afford them. I find it far more rewarding than breaking them.
I recently gave a pair of Paiste 2002 15 inch hats to a poor young drummer. The look of thanks on the young mans face was better than any amount of cash that I would have received for them.

i think we all chased him away. just remember OP that fraud eventually costs us all. like shoplifting. i hate people who brag about their 5 finger discounts because the rest of us are paying the overhead. sell the cymbal and do the right thing.

Originally Posted by Ferret
Is it damaging to have the felts too loose?

it may be. a very loose cymbal moves a lot when struck and so, if you are intending to hit it again soon after the first strike, it may be swung up to a bad angle and you hit it hard on the edge.

in my experience the key hole thing actually has another insidious down side... it ensures that one part of the cymbal is always taking the hits. a cybal that can turn freely on its stand and is hit with glancing blows gradually 'walks' its way around during a performance ensuring that the edge shares the load. key holing prevents this and so you are more likely to get a crack.

j

I reckon a ton of people do that on purpose when bringing a cymbal back to my work...Sometimes you can tell that they bang away at it with a hammer or something, but we have no proof. Just get some Scott Johnson sticks, put it on a table and smashaway at it!

I reckon a ton of people do that on purpose when bringing a cymbal back to my work...Sometimes you can tell that they bang away at it with a hammer or something, but we have no proof. Just get some Scott Johnson sticks, put it on a table and smashaway at it!

I'm confused... are you a drum shop employee telling this guy to actually go ahead with his plan to defraud the drum shop? what if this guy bought the cymbal from you? aren't you going to feel kind of silly when a day after this post someone comes in and gets scott johnson sticks then returns later that day with a trashed cymbal? :)

Now-A-Days I simply donate my unwanted cymbals to a school that has many low income students that struggle to afford them. I find it far more rewarding than breaking them.
I recently gave a pair of Paiste 2002 15 inch hats to a poor young drummer. The look of thanks on the young mans face was better than any amount of cash that I would have received for them.

Man that is damn decent of you, i aint surprised either when your handing over a quality set of hats like that! I have so many unused cymbals, maybe i can do the same.

That's awesome.....very cool of you.

Hey crew,

Well, I agree with the FRAUD post, and the idea of trading it on C.L. or something instead, maybe even try taking it back to the music store and tell them it sounds crappy.

However, if you're absolutely set on braking it--put it in your freezer for a few hours, quickly take it out before it has a chance to warm back up, lay it on a hard (like concrete) surface (bell up) and hit it with the corner edge of a 5# sledgehammer about 1-1/2" up from the rim.

Note; I DO NOT advocate destruction of drums and cymbals, so this is just my "input", dig?

Cheers,
C. P.

However, if you're absolutely set on braking it--put it in your freezer for a few hours, quickly take it out before it has a chance to warm back up, lay it on a hard (like concrete) surface (bell up) and hit it with the corner edge of a 5# sledgehammer about 1-1/2" up from the rim.

Note; I DO NOT advocate destruction of drums and cymbals, so this is just my "input", dig?

LOL - that'd fool 'em, Pete! There's NO WAY the drum shop staff would be able to see through that clever ruse :)

Hi guys,
I bought a Sabian AA Rock Ride a few months ago...and seem to dislike it more and more. I want to break it so I can bring it back to the drumshop (warranty) and pick up something else! Any suggestions on how to crack it??? Thanks.

The only way is to go to the shop and say: "hi Guys, i dislike this cymbal, i made a mistake, what can we do, can you help me?"

All other measures are childish behaviour in my opinion.

Bernhard

Back