DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-13-2014, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin is great, I don't think much needs to be added from what has already been said. He is technically talented, creative, and his drums always sound so damn nice.

I love Porcupine Tree SO MUCH and wonder if that will ever get going again, but he's now doing stuff with King Crimson and I am stoked to see how that turns out.

On KC's facebook page it states "farewell tour" in the tour dates link. I surely hope that's not the case, but they start the tour in September.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:40 AM

Hey Gavin!

I was not surprised to know you're not a fan of poor rhythm, I noticed on one of the podcast interviews you recently did they presented you with their rendition of your Kitchen song, and I could just hear you holding back the cringes :) I too have a strong conviction towards proper rhythm, and understood your discomfort all too well.

I was recently at Guitar Center reading through your latest book, which was very well written and kept me giggling just enough to make the guy walking by me uneasy. I loved what you had to say about "What Happens Now" when you referred to the interlude as 3D. It reminded me of a video I had seen a few months back, made by a man named Wolfram Winkel. In it, he plays a different rhythm with each limb up to 8 beats, at one point effectively playing a 8:7:6:5 polyrhythm, otherwise known as a woodpecker's worst nightmare (Here it is: http://youtu.be/A6KAVvLlcqQ). Beyond "What Happens Now" (7:5:3 with the Anesthetize guitar part), have you delved into polyrhythms with more than 2 pulses? I would love to learn how to do this but I have no clue what way I should go about it.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:57 PM

Hi Gavin,

I recently bought your book Rhythmic Composition hoping to play some PT songs as playalongs. It turned out that I should have read the description of the book a bit more seriously. I know that you've been asked many times about playalongs and that it's not possible for you to offer some. But I wanted to know if theres any chance to get some especially now where the book is on sale.

Beyond that I would like to thank you. I really appreciate that you're answering all our questions. Your playing really inspires me and always keeps me motivated to try out some new ideas.

Regards, Nils
Old 08-18-2014, 03:22 PM

Hi Gavin, I have purchased your previous albums as digital FLAC downloads from your website, but have noticed that your latest album "The Man Who Sold Himself" is not available in this format (well, at least not legally). Would this album be released as a FLAC download in the future or would I need to purchase a physical CD or iTunes quality downloads?

If any other forumer has found out where I can purchase the album online legally I would be very grateful if you could let me know where it can be found.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:21 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi BrianBjur

I was recently at Guitar Center reading through your latest book, which was very well written and kept me giggling just enough to make the guy walking by me uneasy. I loved what you had to say about "What Happens Now" when you referred to the interlude as 3D. Beyond "What Happens Now" (7:5:3 with the Anesthetize guitar part), have you delved into polyrhythms with more than 2 pulses? I would love to learn how to do this but I have no clue what way I should go about it.

I have tried many polyrhythmic possibilities in my time - but writing them into something 'musical' is quite another story - and it's difficult to make them sound NOT like a drum exercise. I made a lot of polyrhythmic stuff on the albums I recorded with O5Ric and I think we found good ways to write on top of of those rhythms. More than 2 pulses at the same time can be very confusing to the listener.

Hi Nils

I recently bought your book Rhythmic Composition hoping to play some PT songs as playalongs. It turned out that I should have read the description of the book a bit more seriously. I know that you've been asked many times about playalongs and that it's not possible for you to offer some. But I wanted to know if theres any chance to get some especially now where the book is on sale.

There won't be any playalongs. Getting the correct publishing permissions to remake those songs along with the cost, effort and time of rerecording them would be prohibitive. I don't own the original recordings either.

Hi miah_yap

I have purchased your previous albums as digital FLAC downloads from your website, but have noticed that your latest album "The Man Who Sold Himself" is not available in this format (well, at least not legally). Would this album be released as a FLAC download in the future or would I need to purchase a physical CD or iTunes quality downloads?

I spoke with Burningshed.com and there's no immediate plan to release those records as FLAC -so your best option would be to get the CD.

cheers
Gavin
Old 08-26-2014, 05:22 PM

Dear Gavin!

DAMN you took your time with this! :) I'll write one or two questions about it at the end of this message, but first:

Guys, it's finally here! :)

CymbalShox

Quote from a drumshop's site:

Cymbalshox® by Trick are finally here! We have been anxiously awaiting their release for several years.

Designed and developed in conjunction with drummer Gavin Harrison, Cymbalshox® are manufactured from a space age material designed specifically for attenuating shock. No synthetic rubber or felt can dissipate energy as effectively as Cymbalshox®. Cymbalshox® are a visco-elastic polymer that moves like liquid under load, providing your cymbals with the ultimate in shock absorption while also extending the life of your cymbals.

"Like so many drummers, I have had problems with breaking cymbals in the past (mostly crashes and China type cymbals). While I was playing with Porcupine Tree, I had the CymbalShox installed on my American set and played solidly for five weeks without breaking any cymbals. We then went to Europe and played another five weeks (with the exact same set of cymbals) but I forgot to bring the CymbalShox, so I had to do the tour without them. I broke seven cymbals in two weeks! That convinced me that we were on to something great here. I tested the CymbalShox for two and a half years and feel we finally hit upon the right formula. I really believe CymbalShox will extend the life of your cymbals."
Gavin Harrison -
Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Gavin Harrison & O5ric (GHO5)

QUESTIONS:

1. If this has viscoelastic properties, it is like a jelly-type stuff, but a bit stronger I presume. How does this product behave under certain weights? Meaning a heavy cymbal or a tiny splash. How does it react if you use them on (under) an angled cymbal? Do you use it on both sides, or just the underside? Also do you(we) need to adjust the tightness? Or is it the same as if it would be cymbal felt? And does the material affect the vibration of the cymbal in any way (Shortens the sustain? Cuts off certain overtones, etc.)

2. Why only one size? I have extremely good results with the Cympad, I use bigger ones on the underside during practice to quiet my big cymbals a bit and also to make their sustain shorter, so in our smaller rehersal room my big cymbals (19"-18" crashes, 20" heavy ride, 20" cina, etc) don't "blanket" the whole space when I hit them. Meaning I can use their sounds and effects on the music, but they don't overshadow the other instruments. Admittedly, on chinas Cympad does not help me to protect them against shock (hits, etc), but the effects mentioned using bigger ones under my larger cymbals is a must have during practice. At least to me. So why only one size? I'd love to have these in different sizes. :/

3. This is mostly an aesthetic thing. Why grey? Black is more uniform, but maybe a bit too visible too. But if I remember correctly, you used a blue stuff before (were those the prototypes of Cymbalshox?)

Sorry for these questions, I'm a bit of a gear-junkie! :)

Cheers,
Matyas

Last edited by szokematyi; 09-02-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:35 AM

Hi Gavin
Just been listening to the late and great Mick Karn's "the tooth mother" on CD, and noticed you were playing on it , fabulous stuff , very interesting that you had your own sound even back then in 95 :)
Can you remember anything about the process of recording that Cd ?
Old 08-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
I have tried many polyrhythmic possibilities in my time - but writing them into something 'musical' is quite another story - and it's difficult to make them sound NOT like a drum exercise. I made a lot of polyrhythmic stuff on the albums I recorded with O5Ric and I think we found good ways to write on top of of those rhythms. More than 2 pulses at the same time can be very confusing to the listener.
Hi Gavin

There's a Swiss piano player named Nik Bärtsch who writes very interesting polyrhythmic
and polyrhythmic based pieces music, I thought maybe you enjoy this! Excellent drummer,
too (Kaspar Rast):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX3v...dU0Wyj7oiAzyLQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gXQ6eWEAKk
https://itunes.apple.com/ch/album/ni...ve/id557597298
Old 09-03-2014, 03:11 PM

Hello Gavin,

I have a quick question. Have you ever considered making your own VST extension for Superior or any only VST? With your vast knowledge of drums, producing what sounds you want out of them, and that incredible collection you have of drums and cymbals you would make a powereful sound library.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venimal View Post
I have a quick question. Have you ever considered making your own VST extension for Superior or any only VST? With your vast knowledge of drums, producing what sounds you want out of them, and that incredible collection you have of drums and cymbals you would make a powereful sound library.
How much would you be willing to pay for that?
Old 09-05-2014, 03:55 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi szokematyi

1. If this has viscoelastic properties, it is like a jelly-type stuff, but a bit stronger I presume. How does this product behave under certain weights? Meaning a heavy cymbal or a tiny splash. How does it react if you use them on (under) an angled cymbal? Do you use it on both sides, or just the underside? Also do you(we) need to adjust the tightness? Or is it the same as if it would be cymbal felt? And does the material affect the vibration of the cymbal in any way (Shortens the sustain? Cuts off certain overtones, etc.)

It's stiffer than jelly of course - under heavy cymbals like rides - you don't really need it. How many rides do you break? The ones most likely to break - splashes - crashes - thin chinas etc. benefit the most. They should always be used on top and bottom to get the affect of the visco-elastic shock absorbing. It doesn't affect the sustain or tone compared to normal felts.

2. Why only one size? I have extremely good results with the Cympad, I use bigger ones on the underside during practice to quiet my big cymbals a bit and also to make their sustain shorter, so in our smaller rehersal room my big cymbals (19"-18" crashes, 20" heavy ride, 20" cina, etc) don't "blanket" the whole space when I hit them. Meaning I can use their sounds and effects on the music, but they don't overshadow the other instruments. Admittedly, on chinas Cympad does not help me to protect them against shock (hits, etc), but the effects mentioned using bigger ones under my larger cymbals is a must have during practice. At least to me. So why only one size? I'd love to have these in different sizes. :/

They're not designed to change the sound of the cymbal.

3. This is mostly an aesthetic thing. Why grey? Black is more uniform, but maybe a bit too visible too. But if I remember correctly, you used a blue stuff before (were those the prototypes of Cymbalshox?)

We wanted to use a light colour - so when you drop them on a dark stage or black carpet you can still find them.

Hi michaelg

Just been listening to the late and great Mick Karn's "the tooth mother" on CD, and noticed you were playing on it , fabulous stuff , very interesting that you had your own sound even back then in 95 :) Can you remember anything about the process of recording that Cd ?

I remember it well. We recorded the drums in a local studio - where I had recorded with Mick before - when he played on my first album Sanity & Gravity. It was recorded onto tape - so all the drums takes were continuous performances with no 'drop ins'. We had a great time - Mick had a brilliant sense of humour - so there were a lot of laughs. So sad that he died so early.

Hi Swiss Matthias

There's a Swiss piano player named Nik Bärtsch who writes very interesting polyrhythmic
and polyrhythmic based pieces music, I thought maybe you enjoy this! Excellent drummer,
too (Kaspar Rast):

nice stuff - thanks.

Hi Venimal

I've been asked many times - but I have absolutely no interest in making a sample library.

Cheers
Gavin
Old 09-06-2014, 09:52 AM

Hi Gavin,

found a very interesting albeit much too short drum solo of yours on the "DGM live" youtube channel. It gives me hope that one day in distant future I'll kind of catch up with your playing ;).

Back to seriousness: It seems your having lots and lots of fun during the rehearsal sessions. It would be great if KC would tour europe or even better germany. All the best for the tour!

--
Tom
Old 09-06-2014, 06:28 PM

Hello Gavin! I know your're busy so let's get to the point. I was looking for some information related to "Preparing Backing Tracks For Live Use" and found an article published in the Soundonsound.Com November 2003 issue in which you shared the gear you were using at that time to accomplish this. Simple Two-track Playback and Using Multitracks On Stage was the main topics. I got a gig with a local singer here in the Dominican Republic and I need to use backing tracks for the live shows. I would like to know your current gear/setup to. Do you still use the Simple Two-track Playback? What about the use of Multitracks instead? Thanks for your consideration and advice :)
Old 09-15-2014, 03:49 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Ivan Jaquez

I was looking for some information related to "Preparing Backing Tracks For Live Use" and found an article published in the Soundonsound.Com November 2003 issue in which you shared the gear you were using at that time to accomplish this. Simple Two-track Playback and Using Multitracks On Stage was the main topics. I got a gig with a local singer here in the Dominican Republic and I need to use backing tracks for the live shows. I would like to know your current gear/setup to. Do you still use the Simple Two-track Playback? What about the use of Multitracks instead? Thanks for your consideration and advice :)

Currently I use a Macbook Air (running Logic Pro software) and a MOTU Microbook 2. That gives me 4 outputs so I can send a stereo mix (with no click) to the 'front of house' engineer and have various options for mixes with clicks on stage. I have a personal mix of the backing track (plus a click and cues) into a headphone mixer that's right next to me. I can set all the relative levels inside Logic. It's best to use a computer that has an SSD drive (like the Macbook Air) so you don't have problems with the vibration of the drums.

Hope that helps you.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 PM

Hi Gavin!

It's great to see you're replying to everyone's questions on this thread, I've had a great time reading through it.

I was wondering if you could tell me about your home-studio floor? I've got a 'home-studio' setup and I use thin carpet tiles on the floor with various sound-proofing underneath. But as of late I have been experimenting with placing MDF boards underneath the kit to help 'improve' the sound of the drums on recordings.

Ultimately my questions is, is this necessary and how much would you say the acoustics of the floor matter in a home-studio recording environment? (My room isn't dead sounding).

Cheers Gavin!

Max.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:14 AM

Gavin, I too have a larger kit (3 up, 2 down). When you record your overheads, about how high are they? Also approximately how far from the snare are they to each mic? Do you find yourself changing the height when you switch to different thicknesses of cymbals, to rebalance the drum/cymbal mix in the overheads?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:56 PM

Hey Gavin,

Before my question, I would just like to say how appreciate both I am and this forum are for you taking the time to check out and answer all of our question. Thank you.

Now for my question: What would kind of exercises do you recommend to one who is trying to get better with polyrythms and beat displacement? I've been trying to improve that aspect of my playing, and I need some help from the master. Stuff like the intro to Futile and the verses of Bonnie the Cat come to mind when I think of my favorite kind of this stuff in your playing.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 10-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Hey Gavin. I am GUTTED that I have lost the CD for rhythmic illusions. I have contacted burning shed and they won't provide me with a replacement. I was wondering if you had the mp3s of the accompanying audio CD? I really want to study with the book again but I just can't seem to get a replacement. I would be willing to buy the standalone CD again... Here's me with my copy of the book should anyone think I didn't go out and buy it! I hope you can help!

Cheers

Luke

Last edited by Torkerz; 10-17-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:30 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Max1805

I was wondering if you could tell me about your home-studio floor? I've got a 'home-studio' setup and I use thin carpet tiles on the floor with various sound-proofing underneath. But as of late I have been experimenting with placing MDF boards underneath the kit to help 'improve' the sound of the drums on recordings. Ultimately my questions is, is this necessary and how much would you say the acoustics of the floor matter in a home-studio recording environment? (My room isn't dead sounding).

I would say that the floor is the least of your worries. If you feel the drums sound a bit better on MDF then great - but it's probably the reflections in the rest of the room that would affect the overall drum sound the most. It also depends how you mic the kit and how much of the overhead mics you listen to. My drums are currently on a riser so I can move the kit around the room - and nearer to my live room. That can make a noticeable difference.

Hi formula428

I too have a larger kit (3 up, 2 down). When you record your overheads, about how high are they? Also approximately how far from the snare are they to each mic? Do you find yourself changing the height when you switch to different thicknesses of cymbals, to rebalance the drum/cymbal mix in the overheads?

My overhead mics are slightly above and slightly behind me (like an extension of my ears) the kit sounds more balanced to me that way - not over emphasizing the cymbals as they do when their in a more 'tradition' overhead mic position. At the moment they are 140cms from the centre of the snare drum.

Hi DsDrummer

What would kind of exercises do you recommend to one who is trying to get better with polyrythms and beat displacement? I've been trying to improve that aspect of my playing, and I need some help from the master. Stuff like the intro to Futile and the verses of Bonnie the Cat come to mind when I think of my favorite kind of this stuff in your playing.

I think really you just have to get good at hearing syncopation - notes that are 'on the beat' and notes that are 'off the beat' and relate them to a quarter note pulse. You just need to think about it - give yourself a point of reference (like a recording of pop song) and tap out groups of 3, 5 and 7 in 16ths and triplets - and try to hang on to where the downbeats are in 4/4. If that sounds too hard - then write them out and 'see' where all the beats land. It's important to know EXACTLY where every note should be. The more you do it the easier it will become.

Hi Torkerz

I am GUTTED that I have lost the CD for rhythmic illusions. I have contacted burning shed and they won't provide me with a replacement. I was wondering if you had the mp3s of the accompanying audio CD?

OK PM me your email address and I'll try to upload the audio files for you.

cheers
Gavin

here are some up coming clinic dates (and a special masterclass in a recording studio) If you know drummers in these areas of Germany - let them know!

27.10.2014 Musik Meisinger, Burghausen www.musik-meisinger.de
28.10.2014 Drum Department, Stuttgart www.drumdepartment.de
29.10.2014 Six & Four, Sulzbach www.sixandfour.de
30.10.2014 Musik Schönau, Gießen www.musik-schoenau.de
31.10.2014 Just Music, Berlin www.justmusic.de
01.11.2014 Recording Masterclass*, KMR Audio Berlin (in association with Prism Sound) http://www.prismsound.com/music_reco...re_offers3.php
http://www.prismsound.com/music_reco...rs3.php?lng=de
Old 10-24-2014, 09:04 PM

Hey Gavin! (and everyone else)

Just thought I'd share a little something I did up a while back while I sit here listening to "Time Flies" on my laptop because it is "The Incident" related. I actually transcribed all of "Your Unpleasant Family" into a score on this website by the name of Noteflight, which I like to use for writing music. And about a year ago I didn't have any projects going on that I was writing myself, so I decided to take on the 1 minute 48 second song that has brought me great joy over the years. The lyrics are just plain fun. Transcribing it also taught me a bit about Colin Edwin's bass playing, and the bass line he laid out was pretty groovy.

So here you'll find the link. When you get to the page, the play button is down in the lower left hand corner. I'd like to think I did a decent job on it. Enjoy.
http://www.noteflight.com/scores/vie...7f8332b18080e5

Th-th th-th th-That's all folks.
Cheers-- Peter