Loudest snare drum ever?

hateplow

Silver Member
What's the loudest snare you've ever heard?
Me? Either my Ayotte Keplinger I 3mm steel snare
or my friend's Eames Master series birch piccolo snare , 25 ply, I think. He rigged it with Die cast hoops and a Kevlar head!

I remember being at a gig and I think the guy had a free-floating brass and it was loud as hell.

Also, a guy had one of them run of the mill pacific maple 13" snares and its was tearing. Not a great sound, but you couldnt miss it.

I remember someone saying that there was this shell-less snare that was basically just an aluminium frame or something that was apparently like 2.5 times louder than your standard sort of yamaha steel.

this is the loudest I have every heard. and a rim shot will take your head off!.

It is a cast and lathed 4 x 14 brass shell. Made by a guy starting up a company call Diamond Drums. this was a prototype. I changed out the 2.3 mm hoops for die cast abut other then that it is how I got it,

This is an amazing drum.

cast_snare.jpg

I remember being at a gig and I think the guy had a free-floating brass and it was loud as hell.

Also, a guy had one of them run of the mill pacific maple 13" snares and its was tearing. Not a great sound, but you couldnt miss it.

I was going to say my 14x6.5 Pearl free floating snare. Very very loud. Deep w/a major crack to it. Most sound guys at clubs would make me put a little tape on it. It didn't cut through on outdoor gigs though.

My Sonor HLD 590...

Band wouldn't let me play it in most clubs because it was too loud...

2004-10-08_212026_BronzeSignature640.jpg

Last edited:
This one guy who taught me some stuff had this old Tama snare. One of the nicest snares ive ever played, but by far the loudest ive ever heard.

hows about a tama starclassic bell brass snare they seem pretty loud.

Hello,

the loudest one is always the one hitted by myself in fff with a really big stick. (choose a smiley)

In comparison played by the same player in the same dynamic level the bell brass ones give a little bit more volume. But you can also play them very soft and so they can produce ppp also.

Greets,
Juergen

The loudest I've heard (though I haven't heard too many) was a 13 x 7 (maybe 6?) pork pie little squealer. It helped that the player was a pretty loud hitter, though, and I think that makes a difference sometimes as far as how loud a snare can be.

How about this one?
Does have an incredible amount of volume combined with warmth and a touch of splendour...
Yep, it's a Tama Artstar Cordia in 8x14 and it creates volume if not noise when needed.

Attachments

• cordia 005 (2).jpg
    cordia 005 (2).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 16,603
The loudest I've heard (and one of the heaviest!) is the Tama Lars Ulrich Signature Bell Brass ( 6.5 X 14)... A new one goes for about $1500 or so.

Attachments

• bellbrass.jpg
    bellbrass.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 13,638
The loudest I've heard (and one of the heaviest!) is the Tama Lars Ulrich Signature Bell Brass ( 6.5 X 14)... A new one goes for about $1500 or so.

Are these still in production?

Are these still in production?

I don't know about the production run, but new ones are available at several online stores, including 2112.com and Cascio Interstate. That's a lot of cash, though...I saw and tried used one at Dale's Drums in Harrisburg, PA, and it was still almost $1,000.

my former LUBB (sold it a year ago) is without a doubt the loudest snare i ever played or heard. Its also the most sensitive.My pearl ultracast is also a very loud and sensitive snare, and much more affortable than the tama.

ulrich2006_07_25DSCN0739.JPG

cimg1616te7.jpg

Last edited:
Back