UK Drum Tutor

thomasmusic

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to get some advice/tips/recommendations on Drum tutors across the UK,
I'm been studying on my own for quite some time, using various books/videos/music etc.

I feel like a need a guide, a structure, someone to tell me what I need to work on in order to improve my playing,

I'd like to get into Jazz, but just an overall improvement to be honest haha.

Some friends have told me about Bob Armstrong & Dave Hassell,

Those who has studied with them personally, can you please share, what the lesson was like? How it improved your playing? Just the overall experience?

Any info would be very much appreciated
Thank you

Bob is very famous across the drumming world. I would recommend Chuck sabo if you want to work on the pocket. He doesnt teach technique, purely studio work and pocket playing. He's a master in that.
For technique I would recommend and styles I would recommend Darren Ashford. He really studied all the Gary Chester books thoroughly.

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to get some advice/tips/recommendations on Drum tutors across the UK,
I'm been studying on my own for quite some time, using various books/videos/music etc.

I feel like a need a guide, a structure, someone to tell me what I need to work on in order to improve my playing,

I'd like to get into Jazz, but just an overall improvement to be honest haha.

Some friends have told me about Bob Armstrong & Dave Hassell,

Those who has studied with them personally, can you please share, what the lesson was like? How it improved your playing? Just the overall experience?

Any info would be very much appreciated
Thank you

You can't go wrong with either of the guys you mentioned or the guys mentioned in the post above. Also, Paul Clarvis, , Alan Cox, Paul Elliot, etc. There's a host of really top-notch teachers out there. Where are you located? What are you looking to learn?

Having studied with Paul Elliot and taken a few lessons with Dave Hassell I can recommend them both.

A few more that I know teach in the music colleges like BIMM and the ACM, and write lessons for magazines:

Erik Stams

Pete Riley

James Hester

Colin Woolway

I have met Colin and he is a really nice guy. He has huge teaching experience and has designed his own grade system called Drumsense. I studied from this system for 5 grades and it was a good foundation for me.

I've seen him in clinic and he is a great player too.

Dave Walsh - Hands down one of the BEST drum tutors and Jazz musicians in the UK. He is head of drums at Leeds College of Music and is a past student of Dave Hassell - I really would go and study with Dave if you ever get the chance. A really nice bloke and a monster on the drums.

I've studied with a lot of drum tutors in the UK and Dave probably is one of the best

http://www.davewalsh.net/

Back