Yamaha Drums

Re: Yamaha Drums Wanted

Hi all, I'm looking for a set of Yamaha Maple Custom drums. 20 or 22x16 kick, 8x10, 8x12 rack toms, 14x14 and 16 x 16 floor toms with legs and 5.5 x 14 snare preferred, but would consider other sizes. I have a mint condition Gretsch USA custom in the same sizes in Espresso Burst finish minus the 16 floor tom, that I'd be willing to trade for the right kit. I'm in central NJ/Phiadelphia/NY area. Pictures available upon request.

Guys, what are birch custom absolutes like?

I have BCAN 2009 model I think. I've not owned any RC's, but I can tell you that I like the BCAN's. They have good attack, short sustain, and nice tone. I'm running Super 2's over ambassadors on the small toms, the 14" Fl. tom has a super 2 for a reso, to cut down on the sustain. (The 14 just sings too long, when I tune it how I like it to sound.So I tried a 2 ply reso) The 16 Fl. tom has an ambassador reso, and they both have performance 2's on top. I have a 20 and 22 kick Sk1's and stock reso. ported 4" I like them a lot.

Guys, what are birch custom absolutes like?

...imho, the bca's are more resonant versions of the rc (yamaha's literature states that this was a specific design philosophy) through the use of thinner shells/lower mass hardware/die cast aluminum hoops...also, the bca's and rc's both use premium hokkaido birch wood plys, which have a rich blend of warm mid-lower tones similar to maple (in addition to the traditional birch higher tones), as well as the characteristic sensitivity/attack of birch...

My UPS guy just dropped off a new 20 x 16 Live Custom Bass Drum, just in time for tomorrow night's gig! I'm thinking I might make it a 20 x 13 at some point but for now, I'll get her set up and ready to go as is.

Photos to come.

My UPS guy just dropped off a new 20 x 16 Live Custom Bass Drum, just in time for tomorrow night's gig! I'm thinking I might make it a 20 x 13 at some point but for now, I'll get her set up and ready to go as is.

Photos to come.

Awesome, NBDD!
Yes : New Bass Drum Day

But you might want to think twice about cutting that down that much…I dunno, maybe. 14" is the shortest I would go on a 20" that's built for a 'normal' depth.
The 22"x13" bass drum I have sounds OK, but I've been trying to find ways to make it louder recently.
I have a 20x16 BCA and I was going to get it cut down to a 14" depth but you know, it's fine right where it is. PLay the 20x16 Oak for a while, you might just like it. :)

Neal

Don't cut it down.. You'll lose a whole lot of body.

Thanks guys.. Where does the N come from on BCAN?

Thanks guys.. Where does the N come from on BCAN?

Yamaha Nouveau Lugs prob.

I guess this should go here as well.

My recent purchase...
1978 Yamaha YD-9000 13x9, 14x10 (not pictured), 18x16, 24x14 G2s over G1s on Toms, EQ3 Batter and Reso on Bass.
Snare is a Pork Pie Cherry/Bubinga 14x7 currently has a Remo Powerstroke 3 over the stock reso.
Cymbals are Zildjian 15" K Light Hats, 17" & 19" K Dark Thin Crashes, 22" K Light Ride.

IMG_1842_zps14mqwqio.jpg

IMG_1849_zpsnfvhvxjg.jpg

IMG_1851_zpsjsklgvg3.jpg

Awesome, NBDD!
Yes : New Bass Drum Day

But you might want to think twice about cutting that down that much…I dunno, maybe. 14" is the shortest I would go on a 20" that's built for a 'normal' depth.
The 22"x13" bass drum I have sounds OK, but I've been trying to find ways to make it louder recently.
I have a 20x16 BCA and I was going to get it cut down to a 14" depth but you know, it's fine right where it is. PLay the 20x16 Oak for a while, you might just like it. :)

Neal

Thanks for the words of caution guys. I practiced with it this morning and was digging it as is from the driver's seat. I put an unported Fiberskyn on the front and I'm going to take it to the gig tonight like that. We'll see what the recording says about how it sounds out front.

It's a small room with a blues/classic rock outfit. I'll be micing the kick but given it's such a small space, I'll have the luxury of experimenting with microphone placement. I was going to play it safe and put it inside with a Kelly shu, but where's the fun and adventure with that? ;-)

Jason

Hello to the Yamaha drums club.

Here is a picture of my 3 different Maple Custom "generations", the first to the left is a MTT-1110J 10x8 made in 1997. The second is a MTT-1310 10x9 made in 2001 and the last is a 1st generation Pre-YESS MTT-1010 made in 1991. They are all Black Maple but have a different color hue. For example finding toms to match the last tom has been somewhat hard. As you guys can see the tone looks more green than black but cannot be defined as the turquoise green. Have you guys run into this before? I have seen cherrywood RC's from different eras that match pretty close to each other. Not the case with these Maple Customs. These sound phenomenal regardless of color.

Attachments

• IMAG4781 copyyyy.jpeg
    IMAG4781 copyyyy.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 1,301
Here's the new 20 x 16 Live Custom BD at this weekend's gig:

I ended up porting the front head and used an Aquarian Super Kick 1 on the batter. Too muffled for my tastes so I'll be looking to try a single-plied white or coated head and treating it a bit with a rolled up towel or bubble wrap. And after playing it for a while, I'm still considering having it cut down for a little less "boom" and a little more fundamental.

Jason

Hey guys,

So I have the fortune of borrowing a new Yamaha Absolute Maple Hybrid 14 X 6 snare from my local music store for my gig's this weekend. If anyone is at all interested in this snare, I can snap some pic's and put together a short review.

This is the snare I've been wanting to pick up for a while now but have been hesitant of dropping the cash without even playing it - so I'm pretty excited to put it through its paces this weekend.

If there is any interest, Ill report back with my thoughts.

I have one of those, it's an excellent allround snare. Mine, I tune white low, and it work very well as a fatback snare.

..So I have the fortune of borrowing a new Yamaha Absolute Maple Hybrid 14 X 6 snare from my local music store for my gig's this weekend. If anyone is at all interested in this snare, I can snap some pic's and put together a short review...

Yes - do that.

Here's the new 20 x 16 Live Custom BD at this weekend's gig:

I ended up porting the front head and used an Aquarian Super Kick 1 on the batter. Too muffled for my tastes so I'll be looking to try a single-plied white or coated head and treating it a bit with a rolled up towel or bubble wrap. And after playing it for a while, I'm still considering having it cut down for a little less "boom" and a little more fundamental.

Jason

Lookin' good Jason!
Would you consider selling me that 20" instead of cutting it down? Or I'll trade ya an 18x14 ? That's Dark Wood finish, right?

Neal

Lookin' good Jason!
Would you consider selling me that 20" instead of cutting it down? Or I'll trade ya an 18x14 ? That's Dark Wood finish, right?

Neal

Thanks Neal. It's actually Black Wood. And I'm keeping her--finding the right head made a big difference...though I still may have her cut down at some point.

Hey Yammers!
Long time no speak.
So a friend had this kit on layaway for a while...decided now that he didn't want them so I have now put them on layaway. They will be mine by the end of September I think.

This is one of the last sets from the infamous Yamaha Canada 'clearance list' that so far has found me 5 kits (yes, I have a problem). Price was too good to pass up. Will be clearing out a lot of other things to make room for these!

This is a "Gadd Hybrid Kit" - Birch Custom Absolute toms with Maple Custom Absolute kick and snare. Sizes 10x7, 12x8, 14x13, 16x15, 22x16 and matching 14x 6.5 snare all in Piano Black. YESSII Mounts, Die Cast Alu hoops all around.

I don't actually have BCA's or MCA's with these normal Absolute lugs, nor do I have a 22x16. So there you go, justified. Ha!
No, wait darn it - I do have regular absolute lugs on my gold badge Cherry Wood BCA's. But hey, a black kit is like having a great black suit, it goes with anything! And there's still that 22x16 :)

Neal

[edit] I may be mistaken, it might actually be a Birch Custom Absolute snare, not maple - makes no difference to me really.

Attachments

• Black BCA 6 PCE>.jpg
    Black BCA 6 PCE>.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 826
Very nice Neal! Doesn't get more classic than that piano black finish!

Speaking of Absolutes, here's a "reverse Gadd hybrid" (MCA toms, BCA kick) using some of my Cherrywood bank at a recent gig:

Wow, another nice setup, Jason. We have similar setup varieties it would seem. I like that foot tambourine thing...is that home made or a store bought clamp/holder for the pedal?

Neal

Back