What brand of kit do you play?

Tama was my first set, then I had a Premier, then a Pearl GLX(still have).
After a 20 year break from acoustic drums, I bought 2 Gretsch sets last year.
Why? I like that they are on of the oldest drum companies and the whole vibe around the brand and I like the sound.
I if was going to buy another set, the new Gretsch Brooklyn or a Tama Starclassic would be high on my list.

Ludwig - 6 ply - 26, 13, 16, 18 ... an if you gotta ask why ... then you just don't understand​
Ludwig red Vistalite - 22, 12, 16 - my new drum studio is red, so a red Vistalite kit fits right in, as a house kit. It will also be the foundation of my hybrid (mothership) ... add 2 Korg Wave drums, 2 Mandala V1's, an SPD-S and loop station, some of a Tama Techstar305 ...​
Yamaha Recording Customs - 22, 12, 14, 16 - my gig kit. It's my "honey badger" set. My "work horse" drums. Will never see cases. If you gotta have a beater kit .... why not Recording Customs?​
RMV - 20, 8, 10, 12, 14 - my "most modern" kit. Great drums. Bought at a great price.​
Premier - Baron's - 24, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18 - Never owned a Premier kit, before, wanted a 24" kick ... and they take a "special" drum key ... that alone is worth the price of admission.​
Ludwig - Club Dates - 20, 12, 14 (project in the works) when done ... all the shells will be blonde (what else?) and have nickel hardware. They will look older than they are ... that's the plan. But hey, the vintage Ludwig 3 ply shells ... 'nuf said!​
Gretsch - Round Badge - 20, 13, 16 ... in my opinion, the "it" kit of vintage drums. Certainly others hold other drums up, as their "Rolls Royce" of kits, but for me, the Round Badge is the ace.​

Poor mans Gretsch......Cat maples.

Why? Bought 'em second hand off a mate when he was financially strapped. Glad I did too. That little kit is what got me back drumming again after a few years lay off and as I'd never heard of them at the time, investigating what it was is what brought me here to Drummerworld. Doesn't get better than that.

Sadly not the USA Ludwigs that I've been coveting for so many years.....that dream is still to be realised, but not a bad kit all the same. There's certainly no situation I'm ever likely to encounter where I couldn't get 'em to work in my favour.

Ludwig red Vistalite - 22, 12, 16 - my new drum studio is red, so a red Vistalite kit fits right in, as a house kit. It will also be the foundation of my hybrid (mothership) ... add 2 Korg Wave drums, 2 Mandala V1's, an SPD-S and loop station, some of a Tama Techstar305 ...​

Pair 'em up with those red coloursounds and Versace couldn't have accesorized any better, H. Gotta admit, I don't recall having seen the red Vistalites. Have I missed a thread or are you dragging your heels? :)

Sonor Force 3007 kit with Tama Starclassic snare. I have a huge chub for Tama Starclassics right now. I think Tama is bangin on all cylinders. Im not really givin a shizzle whether its a birch, b/b, maple or all bubinga kit, and I dont really care whether its Japan or Chinese made. All the SC's are being built to the max IMO.
My SC b/b snare is the best sounding and looking snare ive ever had without a doubt, and thats going against my all maple Black Panther snare, which is also a little BA unit.
My only complaint is that the SC snare is harder (alot harder) to tune than my BP.
Hopefully, it will get easier.

Tama and Sonor.

Why? because the Tama's look beautiful and sound even better and the sonor's are a great little gigging kit that I can expand! (although not anymore, because Sonor went and discontinued the line).

-Jonathan

Tama and Sonor.

Why? because the Tama's look beautiful and sound even better and the sonor's are a great little gigging kit that I can expand! (although not anymore, because Sonor went and discontinued the line).

-Jonathan

Which Sonor?.

My Sonor Force 3007 snare was aaite but i finally sold it to someone on CL for $100 in new condition. The hundie was cool but im glad to get such a nice piece (especially in new cond) to someone that will get some quality use out of it. Oh, i sold it mainly because i play 13" snares.

It used to be Rogers - because it was a choice between Ludwig and Rogers back then and everyone I knew was playing Ludwigs.

Now it's Pearl - a Rhythm Traveler (with a vintage Drouyn snare). There's only one reason for having a RT :)

Hi Polly. Good to see youre still here. Ive been gone for a while. So what?, everything still par for the course around these parts?.

Hi Homie. Watcha been up to?

Some have stayed, some have left, as you'll see. It's been a while since we've had a long D&M thread ... we're pretty lightweight these days :)

I've got only 1 kit so far...it's Mapex M-Series in Transparent Cherry Red Lacquer finish.

Gwet... er, Gretsch.

Considering a DW Collectors for later in the year though.
Might have to change my username here though.

Last edited:
Tama Rockstar kit - Tama Artwood Snare - Stardom Custom 10" tom

I got the rockstar about 10 years ago - Metallica were everything to me at the time and Lars played a Tama kit. I also then went to my local drum store (which is now closed, no more easy to see drums for me!) and they had a few Rockstars in store at a pretty reasonable price. I picked it up then and there (thanks to the help of my Parents who split the bill with me) and have played them to this day.

I then went to Music Live! at the Birmingham NEC a year or 2 later and was hanging around the Tama stand near the end of the day and the rep was selling off some of the demo gear. I picked up the Artwood for £160ish (it was un-used, sitting under the display stand in reserve) and fell in love with it! Lovely snare!

The 10" tom I got last year when I tired of the 12, 13, 16 tom set up. I wanted a 10, 12, 16 and couldn't find any rockstar 10"s at the time. I had some cash and ordered this from a UK based custom complany. Paid too much for what it was but I was impatient and had the money to spend. Mistake made, lesson learned. It's an ok drum, though - it's just a shame I didn't save that cash to spend on a new kit. I wouldn't buy from Stardom again, though, or recommend them to anyone else.

Gretsch (New Classics & USA Customs on the way) & Yamaha (Recording Customs).

Why? They are able produce the sounds I hear in my head for drum sounds that I particularly like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recall having seen the red Vistalites. Have I missed a thread or are you dragging your heels? :)
Not so much "dragging my heels ... but "circumstances" ... I'm 112 day post opp now, of my total right hip replacement, and Friday (March 2nd) I go in for total left hip replacement. And I find moving drums from a wheelchair, or a walker, no can do so much.​
The Vista's will be for my studio, which is my 2 car garage, converted. The hold up there ... I'm putting in a driveway ... which was gonna be a 3 week job ... until the city got "heavily" involved .... so now 8 months has gone by (not to mention 2 hip replacements) .... and I have a $13K dirt road .... and I still have to use my garage, for my wife to park in. Me, I four-wheel it, with my Tracker, and the Iltis. As they say, Rome was not built in a day.....​

Live kit = Spaun maple with Guru snares. Why?, because the Spaun is a superb gigging kit & we haven't built it's replacement kit yet. That arrives sometime in the middle of the year, just in time for the festival season :)

Recording kit = Guru prototype mahogany. Why?, it's a bit different :)

Back