berklee audition

moe.ron

Silver Member
so i got contacted by berklee telling me i am invited to audition. its in 3 weeks and just so happens to be on my birthday. luckily my teacher went there and we've been in overhaul lately and he says i'm pretty much covered.has anyone done the audition lately? how nerve wracking is?

I auditioned at Berklee in August for the Spring 08 semester. I didn't get in. However, I did do a great job on my audition. I talked to a few students before I went in, for advice, so, I learned a couple of things. But, I approached the whole thing like I was doing a session in LA, seriously, and I was trying to get hired. I walked in with a smile, introduced myself with a positive attitude, acted friendly towards the auditioners, and most importantly, I feel, I acted like myself. I joked, and recieved a really good response from my auditioners. For my audition (my actual playing) I did a latin jazz tune (song for my father) because I heard from a student a few weeks earlier that Berklee was big into latin jazz drumming (for whatever reason). I did the tune, spiced it up with a little swing section, that was quick (I should note that I brought a bass player up there with me). I then did some sight reading (that they let you review for fifteen minutes before you go into the audition room). There were about six pages of music that got progressively harder deeper into the packet. I, however, only played the first three examples on the first and second page , Amen. (Don't hold me to this, you should still practice 13 stroke rolls in 6/8, right?) The first example I swung, feathering the bass drum and hit (what they call) "kicks" on the snare drum. They'll be quarter notes on "the and of 2" and so on, there was one part with a tied half note on the second example. Nothing brutal, but you would need to be good at reading in order to play it. The first example on the second page was mainly 16th and 8th notes in 3/4 with dynamics, crescendo and decrescendo symbols, I don't remeber if there were any other symbols, but it was pretty easy. I think I remember it being about twelve bars, the music. I then did call and response "ear training", matching some piano progressions with the drumkit. Pitch and rhythm using the different drums to match the piano pitches. I then got up, thanked the auditioners and left. Overall it was a great experience. I'm going to reapply at the end of the Spring this year. God bless.

Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la rise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.

What!?! and you didn't get in?

thats really surprising!

I'm sorry to hear that rhythmjunkie, it sounds like you had it in the bag.

-Jonathan

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday. Sadly I don't think I'll go because I was depending on a scholarship. This is how the audition went basically:

I started with a jazz playalong by Jim Hall (Stella by Starlight), then I traded fours and eights with the teacher. After that he asked me to play some brushes and different grooves (funk, rock, swing, mambo, bossa). Then I did some sightreading in 6/8. Then he played some chords on the piano and I had to tell him major or minor. Finally he clapped some rhythms and I had to clap them back.

Good luck!

Sorry it took so long to get back to all of you. I'm in my second semester at Berklee...so yeah, I got in! It's work but it's great.

Back