Show your drumming "battle scars"?

Glad to see there's not a lot of scars. I would hope most people here understand that blisters and callouses are a mark of holding on to the sticks too tightly, which also means that shockwaves are being absorbed by your hands and wrists.

I'm happy to say my hands have not one callous from drumming.

Now hitting stuff by accident that draw blood is totally different and understandable.

Don't have any pics, but here's a list of my various mishaps (at least the ones I can remember)

Reasonably common injuries, happen every now and then:

- Whack myself in the eye with a stick. Luckily never at full force; it's always been right at the apex of the stroke.

- Catch my knuckles between the stick and the rim when playing rimshots. Cue blood spraying everywhere.

- Develop and subsequently pop blood blisters during a show. Again, cue blood spraying everywhere.

- Crush the knuckles of my hihat hand with the stick from a snare drum upstroke

One-off (thankfully) accidents:

- Tear the skin off my big toe when playing barefoot. Not exactly sure what cause it, but the likely offender is one of the hex bolts on my footplate

- Getting my index finger caught perfectly in the telescope action of a crappy old stand, causing a huge bruise right about where I hold the stick. This was while setting up, so I still had a show to play. Painful.

Back