Single Hand Drumming

I was watching coop3rdrumm3r playing popdanthology a few days ago, and he was playing with 1 hand for a little bit of the song. I tried that a few times and I got it pretty well.

So, I decided to step it up, and play the whole song single handed. It was really cool and fun. I played some other songs too. It worked less on the faster songs (Obviously). What is your thoughts on this? I think it's a really cool concept and it makes drumming more challenging.

As in playing the hats and dropping the same hand down to play the back beat?

Have done it on numerous occasions when I've dropped a stick, or needed to turn a page, or adjust the hi hat/snare strainer/pull a cymbal or tom closer/make an adjustment, or simply had to scratch my nose or wipe sweat out of my eyes etc. Most drummers will encounter various different occasions where it's necessary to keep a one handed beat going when they're playing with others.

But if you're asking if you should do it all the time, I just don't see the point. It's exceptionally limiting. You've got two arms and two legs, may as well use 'em and explore all possibilities they offer, I say.

Won't hurt you to practice it for the times it may be needed. But I wouldn't spend too much time on it......especially at the expense of far more important things.

Last edited:
A few years ago I broke my wrist rollerblading. (Don't laugh, I was riding the vert ramp at a skate park. I'm usually pretty good at it, but just had a screwy fall.) I was in a fairly popular blues band that gigged every weekend, and sometimes two or three nights a week. The fellas got a replacement in for the early gigs (six weeks in a cast almost up to my shoulder) but were unhappy about it, so we rehearsed tons to get me up to speed for three hours worth of music played with only my left, (non-dominant), hand.
You wanna talk about simplification! But boy did my left hand get strong and agile. I played about 5 gigs like that. Sucked at the time, but now I'm reaping the benefits.

Keep yer eyes open for a beater 94 Winny in 30/30 or a milsup in anything. Probably wont cost much to change over for the 94 and youll probably end up with money in hand after buying an old mil sup rifle. Personally I think the 7.62x39 is pretty good and the single shot should make a good cast boolit gun.

Meanwhile, thanks to a glitch in the Matrix, over on rifleworld.com somebody is trying to make sense of a post recommending that he get himself an Acrolite.

Just this past Friday night, I watched a drummer playing with one hand while he was filming the crowd dancing on his cellphone with the other hand (ummm ... the crowd wasn't actually dancing ON his phone .... you know.)

Back