Premier Snare!

Just swapped an old set of Hats for this:
253290_10201212429615630_321276626_n.jpg

I've given it a clean and now it looks like this!
945393_452468761511200_727113962_n.jpg

Over the moon with this! Just one question though:
Does anyone know where I can get hold of a 90s Premier Internal 'Tone Control' in the UK? That's the only thing missing and would like to add it on.
Thanks,
John

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a 90s Premier Internal 'Tone Control' in the UK? That's the only thing missing and would like to add it on.
Thanks,
John
Nice clean up job right there :)

You could try Nick for that tone control http://www.nickhopkindrums.com/ If he doesn't have it, he'll probably know where to get one from. Failing that, the National Drum Fair in September has stalls with just about every spare vintage part under the sun available. Fair is just south of Birmingham. I know it's a bit of a wait, but it's a great fair to visit anyhow :)

Good luck.

I see paper towels but what other tools did you use to clean the hoops. They look really pitted

Premier 2000 series. The British Supraphonic. Big fan, lovely drums.

This isn't a 2000- its a plain old steel snare (2000's were either COB or Chrome over alloy, with steel shells only being introduced toewards the end of their production run) with a standard premier throw off and Royale style double ended speedboat lugs. The 2000 is a parallel action drum with the flowbeam snare and elite style lugs which are fairly different, and diecast hoops with old style slotted head tension screws. This looks to be the standard issue snare that came with the very early APK- a 1005 I think- see here http://bjornsdrums.webs.com/snaredrums.htm.

That said, it's a good drum, but it's not a 2000. Tone controls are generally available on ebay uk for not much money.

This is a 2000

Prem2000_zpsb7080a35.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. To clean it up The hoops & tension bolts I:
1) soaked in 17p Tesco cola over night
2) rubbed town with a sponge
3) rinsed in water
4) left to dry.

For the shell I simply washed in warm soapy water.
I'll check out that website and I'll probably end up at the show anyway.
Thanks
John

As an alternative to the cola, a dishwasher tablet dissolved in hot water does the trick too.

This isn't a 2000- its a plain old steel snare (2000's were either COB or Chrome over alloy, with steel shells only being introduced toewards the end of their production run) with a standard premier throw off and Royale style double ended speedboat lugs. The 2000 is a parallel action drum with the flowbeam snare and elite style lugs which are fairly different, and diecast hoops with old style slotted head tension screws. This looks to be the standard issue snare that came with the very early APK- a 1005 I think- see here http://bjornsdrums.webs.com/snaredrums.htm.

That said, it's a good drum, but it's not a 2000. Tone controls are generally available on ebay uk for not much money.

This is a 2000

Prem2000_zpsb7080a35.jpg

I stand very much corrected!

The tone control you seek is listed on eBay Uk currently, item no 300907192893

Oh, and Mr Yoke, it's an easy mistake to make, the snares do look very similar.

Back