Fidock Handcrafted Drums

Dave from Perth

I thought it was time to share some photos of my Fidock snare drums. These beautiful drums are handcrafted by Stephan Fidock and his team here, in Australia. The drums photographed have shells that are made using the stave construction method. The shells are made with integrated reinforcement hoops. The care to detail is obvious and translates to versatile, articulate drums that maintain focused tone and clarity across an enormous range of tunings.

Last I heard, Fidock drums were getting big wraps the world over. As a regular player and collector, I can say with confidence they rank among the best. Check them out if you can: you won't be disappointed. I hope you enjoy the photos.

13x9 "Fatboy" Tasmanian Blackwood
DSC_0064.jpg

Two Fatboys: a Tasmanian Myrtle (top) and Tasmanian Blackwood (bottom)

DSC_0104.jpg

Bubinga

DSC_0111.jpg

Redgum (top); Tassie Myrtle (left) and Tassie Blackwood (right)
DSC_0141.jpg

Bubinga (top); Tassie Myrtle (l); Tassie Blackwood (r); Redgum (front)
DSC_0156.jpg

Redgum

DSC_0298.jpg

Dave, can you tell us about the sonic differences between Myrtle and Blackwood? Rather interested to know how those two drums sound in relation to each other being the same dimensions.

Lovely collection though mate, there's nothing more beautiful than natural timber and quality craftsmanship.

Great video clips guys, & the sound from these drums is no surprise to me. That fat earthy timbre is typical of larger size stave shells in those woods, & a sonic performance that no ply shell can come close to. Stephan's clearly doing a great job, lovely!

Dave, can you tell us about the sonic differences between Myrtle and Blackwood? Rather interested to know how those two drums sound in relation to each other being the same dimensions.

Lovely collection though mate, there's nothing more beautiful than natural timber and quality craftsmanship.

Hello. I'll have a go at trying to explain the difference and yes, it is noticeable...the myrtle has a more dense grain pattern than the blackwood. This means the myrtle has more volume. (It sounds like a warmer version of jarrah, if that helps.) The blackwood is a little darker and warmer sounding than the myrtle, although mine is still breaking in (it's very bright at the moment - amazing given the drum's dimensions). There's a higher overtone on the myrtle, too.

The aspect of the 13x9 snare drum that impresses me the most is the depth and fatness of the sound. Both drums are very versatile. The videos and soundbytes will demonstrate this. I am playing the blackwood with low tension at the moment and it sounds great! The more the shell ages the warmer and darker it will sound (I am told), so I'm going to enjoy the drum's transformation over time.

The other drums are also great. The bubinga and redgum are both 14x6. I have used the redgum at more rock oriented gigs. It has a loud, brutal rimshot with a distinct overtone (almost jarrah like, in fact quite reminiscent of my workhorse 14x5 Brady jarrah ply). The bubinga I tend to use at smaller, quieter gigs where the volume is down. Very nice. You can play softly or rock out. The wood hoops add a nice tone to the drum's voice.

It's hard not to sound like an advertisement or as though I'm plugging the brand. Those of you who have seen my collection will know that I have some beautiful sounding snares made by well regarded manufacturers. I rate the Fidocks with the very best of them. They are unique in both sound and appearance. I genuinely love the drums - they are made with great care and attention to detail - and I simply want to share them with people on the forum. If you haven't already done so, check out the website. Thanks for the feedback and interest.

The more the shell ages the warmer and darker it will sound (I am told), so I'm going to enjoy the drum's transformation over time.
This is true. If the timber was felled & seasoned in recent years, it will continue to mature. The resin in the sap channels hardens & aids resonance. This process sometimes takes decades, & is a different process to seasoning. Even if the drum is made from old timber, the stave construction will settle and work more effectively as a sonic conduit over time. Enjoy the journey!

Back