Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz Owners

Thanks! I listened to an exhaustive list of cymbals from Bosphorus, Istanbul and Zildjian (no decent drum shops around me any more unfortunately). I was really hoping to settle on some Bosphorus or Istanbul cymbals due to the price difference, but every time I kept coming back to the K's. They were the closest to what I hear in my head and I am really really loving them.

Just wanted to say I am an owner of three gretsch catalina club jazz in copper sparkle, and never loved a kit this much..I always hated two things about the kit, the snare which most agree with, and the rim mount....thanks to the fella who posted the picture of his kit with the mount connected directly to the shell...I had to do it instantly.....made a HUGE difference...now my kit is Completely modified....I have the shell mount installed on the rack Tom.....I have installed DW collectors series maximum resonance floor tom legs,huge addition......and on the kick,I installed triple chrome plated gretsch T RODS Which look beautiful.....I had one question about the shell mount.....when you installed it, did you use a metal backing plate on the inside of the shell before adding the two screws and washers or just the screws and washers like I did....if you did it like I did, have you had any problems with it damaging or digging in the wood...just curious....I feel the drum is light enough for there to be no problem.....thanks in advance and I'll post a few pics soon......Aly

I just used the washers, and it works well. I am starting a new band with some guys I recently met, and we had our first practice last weekend. Both of the toms sounded great, and the bassist and guitarist seemed to like the 18" bass drum. Practice two is this afternoon. Peace and goodwill.

I am not a Gretsch guy, I am a Ludwig guy. However, I saw this statement and absolutely had to chime in with my $0.02. Suspension mounts and virgin kicks do not sound better nor resonate better than hard mounts and kicks with tom mounts. I know the physics and I have run dynamic computer models of many structures, including musical structures like chimes. This myth has been perpetuated by drum snobs for years and there is no truth to it. Good for you, Bob, for pointing it out!

I agree about the resonance thing and it seems you have the evidence to back up what you're saying and I believe it is a myth that has been perpetuated...However, it doesn't do NOTHING per se, what it will do is lower the pitch that it DOES resonate at. Being backed up scientifically by more mass = higher pitch and vice versa... Thanks!

Hey Alydude - don't forget to post those pics. I'd like to see the kit after hearing your description of it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

I am truly mad (a case of GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome!!!)

Yes, as per my earlier posts, I bought the fab Gretsch CCJ in the Rustic red pearl - it was primarily for the small jazz combo I was in at the time.
Well that band fell apart and the GCCJ kit sat lonely and unused - so I sold it!!!!
REGRET!!!
Yesterday I eased my pain and bought another GCCJ kit BUT this was the original 2007 model - I think I prefer it - deeper bass drum and nicer tom mount - kit sounds great and was well loved by its previous owner. Now off to get the drum riser (think I'll go Dixon).

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_2124.jpg
    IMG_2124.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 2,520
Nice kit. I've had three CCJs. Sold two and gave one to my son's school. Every time I've let one go, I've regretted it later. They are nice kits for a jazz combo. I'm giving thought to getting one of the new CCClassics, which is the same as CCJ but with the 20" bass drum.

Thanks Taiko
Have you (or anyone reading this) any idea of the true date of manufacture of my kit (single lug version) - I was told 2007???? Would like to know out of interest - can't find much on the internet regarding the single/centre lug verson - I think it was only available in 3 finishes.

EDITED:- think it is pre 2005 (actually discontinued in 2005)

Cheers

Pete :)

Last edited:
Regarding my kit pictured a couple of messages back, does anyone know where I can get those long bass drum tension rods?

Thanks

These kits are now discontinued and can be bought at a cheaper price. Peace and goodwill.

Agree Mark - got mine for a ridiculous price (used of course).

The thing is that having owned the later model a few months ago, I find this kit so much nicer - for a start the bass drum is awesome - those extra 2" in depth really bring out its versatility plus the rack tom suspension mount does not have the rubber "stop" against the shell.

I have spent some time trying different heads etc and have actually settled for Remo clear pins on the toms, regular coated Ambassador on snare and PS3 on bass drum - no muffling.

Anyhow, this is all personal I guess and we all want different sounds etc.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2259.jpg
    IMG_2259.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,321
  • IMG_2262.jpg
    IMG_2262.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,185
I have had my kit about three years now. I bought it from the original owner who bought it from Resurrection Drums in Miami. Gave him $350 for it. I absolutely love them. They were in mint condition and I have performed on them in many different musical situations and venues. They are perfect for the smaller venue and of course Jazz. Great for Pop, Rock, R&B, Soul, Latin. I have Camco's, vintage Ludwigs, Slingerland's, Premiers, Rogers, Sonor,.
This little kit stands up well. I have never seen another wrap exactly like mine. It is a beautiful blue pearl with dark tiger like stripes. I have had no problems with the ISO mount. I finally got the snare sounding good by tightening up the reso head and put a used smooth in the middle fibre skin head on the batter. The pic doesn't do them justice. They really are gorgeous in person. I put a cymbal holder clamp to hold my splash.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,025
It is possible to remove the wrap and lacquer the shells....but, you might not like what you find underneath. Not saying Gretsch uses inferior plys for their wrapped drums but if the outer ply is not absolutely suitable for a lacquered shell it may still make for a beautiful wrapped drum - I don't see why not.
I collect/play and do some restorations on mostly Gretsch drums and I've found this to be true with Vintage drums....I don't know about modern drums...haven't stripped wrap off any to-date.

It would be very sad indeed to remove your beautiful wrap and find you wished you hadn't.

just saying....

gary

Is it possible to take of the wrap and put a finish on it?

I have one! First run, single lugs. Wmp, pinstripes on the toms, vintage diplomat on the snare, powerstroke on the bass with some light muffling.

Just got one of these in natural satin. Overall, it's a very Impressive kit, but I instantly felt the absence of a 10" Tom. Ordered one and it arrived with a 10mm mount, which was incompatible with the 12.5mm hardware, but I have managed to get this swapped over.
My kit was second-hand, but pristine, including stock heads. Inspired by posts here, I have ordered some Fibreskyns which should arrive this week.

Last edited:
Just bought my first kit about a month ago. Matte black Catalina Jazz. I love the hell out of it.
picture.php

Back