is anyone ever satisfied with their playing?

ok

you said

"Satisfaction is different to contentment"

so I put up the definition of Satisfied which is

sat·is·fied
ˈsatisˌfīd/
adjective
contented; pleased.

the word content is in the definition

you guys are somehow confusing being happy playing and enjoying what you do with being satisfied with what you have accomplished and being content not to push very hard or get much further

which is what the OP was referring to and are completely different things

he was not referring to being satisfied with specific efforts ....like...hey tonight was great...Im satisfied with it

he was talking about in the grand scheme of your overall playing and being ultimately satisfied which equals being content....which is artistic suicide

absolute suicide

No, we are not. Also I am not getting into semantics or dictionary definitions. I am content with how I play. I will find something new, work on it, get it right and be content with that etc etc.

So what you are saying is that If someone booked you for a gig or a session, say, last year, and loved it enough to book you again this year. You turn up and play, and you expect them to say.... "Hey you are only as good as you were last year, we expected you to be a completely different and better drummer this year". If they didn't like, or were not "content", with the way you played last year surely they would not re book you.

Just playing satisfies me, be it by myself or with others. Do I feel satisfied with my level of playing? Never. There is always room for improvement. This is why I keep playing. If I felt like I could learn no more, I would probably put the sticks down.

"Satisfied" is the word prompting the debate. As above, I'm usually "satisfied" if my band mates give me praise (genuine praise) after a gig. That does NOT mean I don't evaluate what I did ... think about my mistakes, shortcomings, what I could have done differently.

I think an artist needs to hang it up once the self evaluation process stops. It is likely varies from person to person, but if being "satisfied" leads to not evaluating, learning, etc. ... then stick a fork in it, you're done.

BTW, even a certain self proclaimed World's Greatest Drummer was known to tell others that he was still trying to "get it right" after a gig. So if Buddy thought that way ... we are in good company.

Going to practice now. Reading this thread was somehow motivational..... ;-)

radman

uhh...yes many in this thread have confused the two .... reading comprehension is a learned skill

way to COMPLETELY miss the point of the whole discussion

nothing you said has anything to do with one thing I have discussed in this thread

being content with where you are within your craft is artistic suicide .... period

if you don't feel that way....great ... more gigs for me

I thank you for that and my family thanks you for that

have a great holiday

It is obvious you did not read my post then. What part of "I am content with my playing" Dont you understand.

I love the way you come up with this: "This is fact, I know what I am talking about, anyone who has a different opinion is just wrong" . No. What may be a certainty for you may have no bearing on others. There are drummers on here who span the full range of the genre from only play at home for fun, to top pro guys.

You may feel that in your situation, be it session drummer, hired gun, I don't know, that is the way it is, or that is what you feel you have to do. Fine. But as I say everyone's situation is different so don't tell me I have to do or feel what you do.

And you can leave out the attempt at sarcasm, It's not big and its not clever.

Playing any instrument or engaging seriously in almost any practical or intellectual task involves constant improvement. Studies of successful individuals in many fields seem to indicate a need to push oneself ever further or risk slipping backwards. We all know if we only ever play the same old thing we get bored, we lose motivation, we get worse.

And being a professional in any of these fields heaps more pressure to continually improve, not least in an ever changing market where new entrants continually raise the bar.

So, the need to never rest on ones laurels is there for all drummers, but I suspect the mindset -- and the words one uses to convey it -- varies somewhat between drummers.

thank you for your support

...and yes it is the absolute truth

You see, you are a different person when everyone agrees with you. So that's what makes you content.

Well, I don't have time to wait for more words of wisdom to be passed down, I am just a drummer off to enjoy a gig. Have fun.

zero sarcasm intended

and we are discussing the OP point .... and he has already confirmed earlier in the thread that many are misunderstanding what his point was.... hence the reading comprehension comment

see it here;

{ The Prof
Re: is anyone ever satisfied with their playing?
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoIsTony?
I didn't take the original question as being satisfied with individual sporadic efforts

to me it meant overall satisfaction which to me equals being content

and that for any artist is suicide in it's purest form

in my world patting yourself on the back is a big no no.

The Prof
"Yep you nailed what I was getting at. I can feel satisfied if I achieve something I am trying to do, but if I was asked if I was satisfied with my overall playing I would answer 'No'. I don't beat myself up over it in the sense that it's not something I am constantly stressing over, I was just trying to fathom whether I would ever reach a point where I could say 'Yes' to that question. Judging by the majority of posts here, looks like maybe not!" }

so read into it however you want and respond as you like of course .
but whenever you feel like discussing the original point of this thread we will be here to assist you

thanks again for having this discussion with me .

again no sarcasm intended and no ill will or malicious intent is meant in any way shape or form
Well done. You won. I'm sure everyone looks up to you for that.

Meanwhile, have you got any thoughts on the other things the OP said like him never being happy with parts he writes or that his never being satisfied sometimes gets him down?

maybe the answer is that everyone approaches their craft differently with different end goals and different output goals. I do feel that if you want to attain a high level of technical capability, then you will find small islands of satisfaction and joy along the way, but will not be completely satisfied and will push for more.

Some folks approach music from a more emotional and creative, less technical point of view. This is the furthest thing from my mind and inverse of how I approach an instrument. I approach it as a competition with myself to aim for the highest example and try to get there. My recorded output is very low because I'm constantly working on the next thing that "i should" be able to do.

It is what it is.

Great *musical* output can come from those that are satisfied and those that are never satisfied.

Being "depressed" over one's ability is natural I think....but a waste of time. If you want to get better at something, there is only one solution....bust your ass, take no prisoners and sweat it out.

However, that does not mean that you cannot make great songs even if you are not where you want to be...or if you are where you want to be.

If you are where you want to be....then that is valid

I contend that most of the "popular" well known and those revered for their craft be it on any instrument, are likely in the group of "not fully satisfied" and always striving

Well done. You won. I'm sure everyone looks up to you for that.

Meanwhile, have you got any thoughts on the other things the OP said like him never being happy with parts he writes or that his never being satisfied sometimes gets him down?

Has this argument got caught up in semantics? ...seems like it..

As for me, I like who I am as a drummer, but enjoying what I do in the moment and critiquing my own playing within myself are two separate things. For that internal critique not to exist is not really possible, IMO if you are an artist. You are constantly seeking new information, new sensibilities, ways to express ideas that are already swimming in your head which you can't yet express all the time, at every stage of musical development... that has to happening on the inside, right?

I occasionally play golf with a guy who really couldn't care less what kind of shot he hits, because it gets him out of his house and away from his wife.The golf is just an excuse. For almost everyone else on a golf course- at any level of expertise- a bad shot is usually following by a profanity, slamming the club on the bag, throwing it in the pond etc etc..

I think the reason for that is that they know what they could have done, but didn't or couldnt do. So near and yet so far..

To me, its chasing something that you never really get a hold of, but the chase helps you find the musician ( or golfer ) thats inside you.

PS- Writing is a completely different skill, I guess, and beating yourself up with a wet noodle because you can't play like Mangini is plain stupid.

Last edited:
I am OK with how well I can play. At this point I am not trying to improve. Peace and goodwill.

where I totally respect this and understand that everyone is unique in the way they approach their craft .... I am truly glad that you are happy in your place..... I admire that

.....but in my brain this thought process just not make sense .... again ....just me

those circuit connections aren't even close to touching and I am sort of glad about that

there is something about reaching a level of contentment and comfort with my journey that I equate with part of me dying

Just to support that there are others thinking like this, I'm with Anthony and that is my personal approach. I respect and certainly accept others that are satisfied, but I do not admire it though...I'm just shooting straight; not busting balls

I was always taught that being satisfied in career and personal/individual endeavors is "taboo" and a sure bringer of mediocrity...but as an engineer, one would expect this kind of thinking

Of course, art is not about technical ability in many instances so for those that strive to create music and not so much create technical capability, there is no rule against it nor is it wrong (or right)...it just is

I do wonder why some of you guys play the drums. "Suck", "Disgust" "Mediocrity" If I had a teacher that told me that I would have found another teacher. Getting the best out of a student, in almost any skill, is about advising and encouraging them. Make them feel good about what they are doing, and about themselves, a happy and motivated student makes a good hard working student.

Me? I love playing the drums, I play because it gives me pleasure, not because I think I am brilliant, but because I can express myself and get out what I feel.That is why, by and large, I am content with my playing.

This outlook makes me a happy drummer, I can hardly wait for the next practice or gig.

No ones is saying they don't enjoy playing drums. I love drumming. And just like you, I can hardly wait for my next gig.

I'm also not suggesting that teachers tell their students that they suck. I agree, if a teacher told me that all the time, I'd look for another teacher. The take away from this saying is: if you, the student, can't admit that your playing needs improvement, then I, the teacher, have no time for you. This is an excellent policy to have, especially if you want to mold great players instead of being "a baby sitter" - to reference another thread.

Encouragement only goes so far. Music is a cut throat industry, where overconfidence is shattered easily, especially if you can't back it up with phenomenal ability. The sooner a serious student can get used to that, the better... If I had a teacher who was overly positive, I would find another teacher, much sooner than if the teacher was a hard ass who told me I sucked.

Without the unbridled ambition to be the best drummer you can, your playing will stagnate and inevitably decline; drumming is a very perishable skill. The greatest players that we idolize had this. Its was their inherent disposition to improve and their ambitious curiosity of the musical unknown that made them the players that they are.

If you are satisfied with being satisfactory, go ahead and be that, to each his own. But while you're sitting around being content, I'll be studying my craft, getting better, faster, and smarter, like many other hungry individuals.

I find when Im most satisfied with my playing, I practice the least. It's like I can't imagine the direction my playing needs to go or Im not aware of where I need to improve.

Very occasionally, I'm satisfied with my playing. A certain performance, or an aspect of my playing on a given night. I think a useful distinction here is totally satisfied. Of course, the answer to that is a huge NO.

This thread went south fast. Definitely mired in semantics now.

You can be happy playing drums and love the experience while still never being satisfied with your progress. Anthony nailed it 100% when he said that being content with your progress is creative death. Once you're satisfied, you stop growing.

If that works for you, okay. But the one cat who said he's happy to take the gigs away from those who are relentlessly seeking to improve is in denial.

When it comes to woodshedding, I have to reach a certain level of satisfaction before I move onto something else. I tend to concentrate mostly on one thing at a time rather than multi-tasking. But I'm never completely satisfied.

Been working on the train beat this year. It's coming along to the point where I feel content that I can use it in songs, but I'm far from being satisfied with my train beat, That goes for my shuffle too. Been working on that for 12 years now.

This thread went south fast. Definitely mired in semantics now.

You can be happy playing drums and love the experience while still never being satisfied with your progress. Anthony nailed it 100% when he said that being content with your progress is creative death. Once you're satisfied, you stop growing.

If that works for you, okay. But the one cat who said he's happy to take the gigs away from those who are relentlessly seeking to improve is in denial.

What I meant to say is just what you said. You need to be happy and love the playing experience. If you stress out about not being satisfied, you will end up unhappy and unable to make good music.

Back