Ludwig Pearl

T

The Walrus

Would you trade this kit? Ludwig 1971 black oyster pearl, 8x12, 9x13, 16x16,14x22, 5x14
dsc01859edited.jpg

For this kit ? Pearl Masters Custom from 2001 in a natural finish, 10x10,10x12, 15x15, 16x22
PearlMasters.jpg

I think it would depend on whether or not I was playing alot of shows. If I was in a touring band, I'd prefer to keep the ludwig because I'd be afraid I'd scratch and ding up the natural finish on the Pearl kit. I'd think the wrap would protect it a bit more on the road.

Just my 2 cents.

Personally I wouldn't. The Lugwig is vintage, and is only going to increase in value. While the Pearl is certainly more gig-able (even if those are some odd dimensions), I don't think it's value is going anywhere.

I would trade. The hardware alone would be it for me. That old single braced ludwig stuff would fall over and cry if I played on that kit. Also, don't be fooled by something that is vintage. Older is not always better, it's mostly just out dated. People love to believe that something like that set will be worth a huge fortune someday and you can sell it and retire.
It's just not going to happen. No one on this forum can sell their kit and become rich off of the proceeds and there are a ton of amazing kits here. That pearl kit is better in all ways than that ludwig. Are there better kits than the Pearl? Yes, but that's not the trade here. ( I'm trying to avoid Pearl bashing from everyone). That kit was a dime a dozen when it was new and there is nothing special about it that screams "collectors item". It's not like it was one of Ringo's kits. Trust your ear more than anything else and get the kit that sounds best to you out of the two. As far as value...they are probably equal at best so go for it.

If you are happier with the pearl (I would be), why not?

The hardware alone would be it for me. That old single braced ludwig stuff would fall over and cry if I played on that kit.
Looks like single braced DW hardware to me......nice stuff......as far as trading. If you're looking for a kit to hold onto for the "rest of your life", go with whichever kit sounds best to you. Re-sale value means little, if you're never gonna sell. If you're looking for a kit that is gonna hold it's value, the Ludwig already has, and will continue too. The Pearl, I'd say, is already worth less than the Luddy, if you were to eBay both kits. Three Pearl kits on eBay right now, auctions ending within three days, from $399-1350, and no one (so far) bidding on any of them. Vintage Luddies (and other makes) continue to sell.

Last edited:
I would trade. The hardware alone would be it for me. That old single braced ludwig stuff would fall over and cry if I played on that kit. Also, don't be fooled by something that is vintage. Older is not always better, it's mostly just out dated. People love to believe that something like that set will be worth a huge fortune someday and you can sell it and retire.
It's just not going to happen. No one on this forum can sell their kit and become rich off of the proceeds and there are a ton of amazing kits here. That pearl kit is better in all ways than that ludwig. Are there better kits than the Pearl? Yes, but that's not the trade here. ( I'm trying to avoid Pearl bashing from everyone). That kit was a dime a dozen when it was new and there is nothing special about it that screams "collectors item". It's not like it was one of Ringo's kits. Trust your ear more than anything else and get the kit that sounds best to you out of the two. As far as value...they are probably equal at best so go for it.

Well we're talking drums for drums, no hardware other than tom mounts and arms. I actually do think vintage kits sound better in a way than modern kits, I mean they are warmer, the tone is more subtle. Vintage kits are genrally lighter because of the hardware and shell construction. I do however like the volume and tuning of modern kits more than vintage. Harry I know you're right about resale, I mean the Ludwigs sold for $600 back in 1971, now they sell for at least twice that much and I'm sure that Pearl kit cost over $2,000 back in 2001, which means they would bring maybe $1,000 now. With all that said, I'm not sure what to do, I love the natural finish on the Pearl kit. Decisions, decisions.

Here's another wrinkle to add, a guy wants to trade this Rogers silver glass glitter kit with a Powertone snare, plus a possible cymbal for my Ludwigs.
0915081518aedited.jpg

Here's another wrinkle to add, a guy wants to trade this Rogers silver glass glitter kit with a Powertone snare, plus a possible cymbal for my Ludwigs.
0915081518aedited.jpg

I used to own a Rogers kit, and I would trade for it if I had the Ludwigs. The Rogers hardware was bomb proof compared to the Ludwig stuff of that era (IMO). Does he have the single tom mount? There appears to be a collet for it, and one on the rack tom, but the swivo unit is missing. Otherwise, that is a great looking kit.

Is it a 12/16/20?

The only problem is that you end up with one less shell!

Yes it has the swivelmatic arm and it is a 12,16,20,14, plus I would probably ask for a nice cymbal. I'm not sure about the 20, I'm use to a 22, I like a bigger sound, but if the price is right, I may trade.

Yes it has the swivelmatic arm and it is a 12,16,20,14, plus I would probably ask for a nice cymbal. I'm not sure about the 20, I'm use to a 22, I like a bigger sound, but if the price is right, I may trade.

I upgraded to a 22" kick Ludwig Classic Maple from a Rogers 20"....the Rogers was comparable. With the right heads a 20" Rogers can sound like a cannon. Play 'em and see what you think.

Back