Maple or Ash

there are a couple of ddrum dominion pocket kits available at a local drum shop and i am wondering weather to go maple or ash? these kits look so damn beautiful.

the ash has a lime sparkle finish, which when i saw in pictures looked too outlandish, but in person is stunning. the maple is in white sparkle.

but the finish is secondary. the wood is what i am confused abt.

help.

there are a couple of ddrum dominion pocket kits available at a local drum shop and i am wondering weather to go maple or ash? these kits look so damn beautiful.

the ash has a lime sparkle finish, which when i saw in pictures looked too outlandish, but in person is stunning. the maple is in white sparkle.

but the finish is secondary. the wood is what i am confused abt.

help.

the louder the colour of the kit = better imo
green!!

im not too sure about woods but i think maple gives the lower pitchs - correct me if im wrong ofc, im trying to learn a little bit about them myself

Play them and see which one sounds more to your liking.

+1

Make sure to try out some other kits side-by-side with the ddrum kits. I, personally, have not been impressed by any of their kits I've played on (and I've played on quite a few). Shop around some.

Buy a nicer kit. You can get a used pro kit for what ddrums cost new...

ASH tonal character is a blend of birch & maple. It has a more Eq'ed sound than maple (though à la Birch) but has little bit of warm & presence à la maple. Ash is a really good alternative to maple because it's a fast growing hard wood tree and the grain in looking nice.

Never tried those shell though but Gretsch, Ddrum, keller shell and stave drums builder offer Ash as wood option so...

Like the others said, try them out.

I had a ddrum ash pocket for about a week and sold it...........changed the heads, tried everything just could not get a nice sound from this kit.........

cheap rubbish in my opinion, you get what you pay for.......so I got a Pearl Masterworks instead ; - )

Buy a nicer kit. You can get a used pro kit for what ddrums cost new...

+1

Great advice - I couldn't agree more!! It's a buyers market so you should be able to score a sweet deal...especially with a bit of patience. The sound of a professional kit, with good heads and proper tuning, is amazing and will blow both of those kits away (imo).

All the best,

Mike

thanks ya all for the suggestions.

well, i played them and i am thinking of going maple. more accepted sound i think. ash is a new kinda sound. maybe will take time getting used too. the grain on ash is awesome though. but for now maple.

i have heard great reviews of ddrum kits. with diecast hoops and extra floor tom, and shallow sizes, i think it is a good deal. the snare is good too. and the hardware is neat too.

i compared it with pearl masters series and well.........for the money i am ready to settle for a ddrum. also in india, used is not much of an option unfortunately.

Back