Gretsch Catalina Maple or Pearl Export?

Cybernetic

which of this drums have the best sound and durability? and why?
I'm planning to buy one of those but I'm undecided. Please help.

My very humble and uneducated opinion would be go Catalina Maple. If for no other reason than you're getting a 100% maple kit, as opposed to poplar, at an intermediate/entry level price.

massmusic.net has the Catalina maple for $699 (no hardware) plus you get a free 16x16 floor tom and some other free stuff (sticks, throne or gift card). Hardware packs are an add-on, but still pretty reasonable.

Over the Export, I would take the Catalina Maple. For the $400 difference in price between the Catalina Maple ($699) and the new maple Export ECX (I've seen it around $1100-$1200), I would go with the Catalina always!

I would personally go definitly for a Gretsch Catalina Maple.
The Export drums sound also pretty good I noticed but I find them a bit overpriced. Doesn`t matter how legendary the series is on the market.

I think that the wood is the biggest difference when buying some Catalina Maples:

- MAPLE shells, in my opinion much better than some poplar shells
Love the finishes and the hardware. Also the shell quality is great. Yeah, you would get this great great Gretsch sound, I find them much more unique.

So overall the Gretsch would be my first choice...but I don`t say that the Exports are bad. Just overpriced I think, and I don`t like all the features and adjustments of em THOUGH the foot pedals are cool.

http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/GRETSCH+CATALINA+MAPLE+FUSION+22+AMBER.JPG

Karl

I had a pearl export for way too long and I hated them. The only reason I even had them is because I got such a good deal on them that I couldn't say no. I got the Catalina maple a month or so ago and they are WAY better. I will use these babies till I can afford to buy a pro level kit.

I've never dissapointed with Gretsch so I put my money on Gretsch Drums.

i haven't had much experience with either but i must say... man, do i despise my export EXR snare. the bearing edges on the bottom are....... truly awful. totally out of whack. i can't tune the resonator properly.

Gretch a hundred times over!

i have a gretsch catalina maple in amber and i play (when i dont bring my set) an older export at school. I would go with the catalina maple the two sets dont even compare(to me)

the gretsch rims like mounting simple easy ball tilters are way easier to use than pearls iss mounts with the big bulky hardware.

i have only played one pearl export and that is the one the school has i dont see how pearl sells them with such a high price so because i have never had a good experance with pearl i have come to hate most pearl things so i have a very one sided view but i would go with the gretsch here is some pics of mine

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24338

Gretsch Catalinas Are nice drums. Although i am a Pearl Man myself, i have lately been getting really into Gretschs. I consider them to be close to the session level myself.

Catalina is the better option in my opinion.

MC2B

The export does not even compare to the gretsch tbph. I'd opt for the Gretsch or even the Yamaha Stage Custom or Tour Custom.

Pearl is dropping the Export line for the Vision (birch and basswood shells), with the exception of the Export Custom (upgrade to 100% maple shells). So probably expect the old line to get the blow-out price treatment. I haven't seen either of the new kits. As far as the older Export kits go, the Gretsch would be my choice. Durability? Thrash your equipment and it's gonna break. Treat it well and you'll get years worth of use out of it. Best sound? That's for your own ears to decide. Most entry/intermediate level kits have to sacrifice something to keep them "affordable". That something is usually sound and/or flexibility.

Last edited:
I would much rather have a Mapex ProM over the new ECX's, they are comparable price, and I think the ProM's blow the ECX out of the water

Gretsch Catalina Maple or Pearl Export?

Gretsch.

You guys have me worried now, I just purchased a Pearl Export Custom ECX-925FPS. I havent received them yet but I got them at a great deal. I was originally going to go with the Catalina Maple but found the Export Customs for about the same price range and thought for sure it was the way to go. Ive had Pearls before but thought about changing until this opportunity came up. So what do you say about comparing the Catalina Maple to the Export Customs??

The Gretsch Catalina Maple kits would be my vote. Every Pearl thing I have ever seen has been terrible quality. I've seen many Pearl drum sets, snares, marching drums, and hardware and all have not been worth the price they cost. Now with Pearl coming out there and announcing their Reference series with the sophisticated science between their shell construction when just old style 3-ply mahogany drums sounded the best, proves they don't know what they are talking about over there. Pearl's durability is also something to be desired. If you want to blow money on expensive kits, go with a TAMA, at least they are well constructed, even though they have features you will never use or need. Gretsch is really coming back and making a name for themselves lately. The Catalina Maples sound amazing and are certainly a bargain. They are about half the price for what I paid for a Pro M two years ago in the same configuration. They just don't come in a variety of colors though. I don't have much experience with Gretsch, so I can't comment on their construction. At least, I know they sound better than the Pearls

Back