Beginner - Need some of your advices

drumaddict

I just started out three months back. I am having problems with my right foot. I am a single pedal user. I have been working hard on it but cant find any results. I have problems with fast doubles and triple strokes. And its really frustrating!!!
Other thing I find problem in is with my snare drum fast strokes. is mastering 40 rudiments very important to be a good drummer?
Thanks,
Harsh

Could be wrong but it sounds like you're self taught, is always a good idea to get a teacher to start out with if you can.
You say you're having problems with fast doubles / triples after 3 months of playing, I still have a problem with then after many, many years of playing and I wonder you're expecting miracles over night.
Learning the rudiments is definitely good to do and will help with your hand technique a lot so do spend some time on them.
Personally I'd look at getting Tommy Igoe's - Great Hands For A Lifetime DVD, Benny Greb - The Language of Drumming DVD and a copy of the book Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone - They're all invaluable especially in your early days of playing and accept that it'll take time to learn things.
Have fun on your journey !!!

You need to learn from somewhere, be it a teacher, books, videos, whatever it may be. The most important thing is your technique and form. Developing that early and at slow speeds will pay huge dividends later. Speed isn't everything. Learn to be smooth and the speed will come. Rudiments are important to an extent. They basically give you a toolbox of ways to get around the kit. Starting out, don't concern yourself with learn ALL of them. Focus on the basics, single stroke roll, double stroke roll, paradiddle, flam tap, etc. Best of advice, DO NOT RUSH ANYTHING. It is frustrating to hear, trust me I know, but drumming takes time. Just keep at it and have fun with it.

To me, the rudiments exist as practical applications of broader, more important sets of skills/fundamentals:

- Being able to move easily and smoothly between singles and doubles

- Controlled Flams

- Accent control/introducing yourself to dynamics as applied to drumming

- Using rebound to play smoothly, efficiently, and pain-free.

There's a not a rudiment to practice that last point, but it is paramount. Check out Tommy Igoe's "Great Hands For A Lifetime" alongside either of his "Groove Essentials" releases. They are both excellent DVD's, Tommy's an awesome player and an entertaining teacher.

Have fun!

Every beginner has these problems. Buy a metronome or download a metronome app and just practice your rudiments. Get faster as you go

Every beginner has these problems. Buy a metronome or download a metronome app and just practice your rudiments. Get faster as you go

Pretty much what I was going to suggest as well. Use that metronome..start slowly and SLOWLY build up speed. And don't expect overnight results. I've been taking lessons for 14 months and still struggle with double 16th notes on the bass, lets not even talk about triples!

I'm very impatient so I can understand your frustration. Just remember, speed isn't everything. Proper technique and good timing are more important. Speed will come with experience and time.

Keep it up and good luck!

Happy Drumming!

Mary O

40+ years in on the drums...and the best thing I've learned is to release frustration.

We lose more musicians that way...even more than from vomit aspiration.

Its the long haul...and all the fun and accomplishments to keep in perception.

We would be swamped with brilliance if we taught more self motivation

because they would stick with it during the seemingly endless plataues and occasional regressions

..of skill and function.

I'll call that "The Abstract Noun Suffix Poem"

...need to turn it into a haiku

Last edited:
Sounds like you want to run before you can walk. Speed with the foot takes time. Practicing slow is key at this point. Playing things solo really takes control and will help you play things faster and cleaner in the long run.

I don't feel you should have to master all rudiments but at least 3. I think the double stoke roll is very important. That is normally what you hear when drummers are burning out a solo.

Learn the basic's of music even if you don't plan on reading music. Just understand quater notes, 8th notes, 16th notes, triplets, and 32nd notes. It quite easy to understand but learn how they all fit together. These are pieces of the puzzle of how it all fits together when you play.

Last edited:
I argee.You have to learn the basics.Everything you play has to be controled,and even,at all tempos and volume levels.Speed will come with control,and muscle memory.

Speed takes time.Try not to be frustrated because you can't play the drum parts you hear on records.Going for speed instead of control,will lead to problems in your technique,and you will develop bad habits,that will have to be unlearned,before you can progress.

Get a teacher.If you can't afford one,then there are plenty of online instructional videos to help you get started.Play everything ....SLOW and EVEN at first.Whatever you play with the right hand/foot,play with the left.Use practice pads,as much as possible.

Just remember,you're not going to play double bass as fast as Derick Roddy,in a few months or even a few years possibly.The basics are easy at first.....but to be really good,and fast,takes time young Jedi.You really do have to crawl before you can walk.Focus on the basics.:)

Steve B

I just started out three months back. I am having problems with my right foot. I am a single pedal user. I have been working hard on it but cant find any results. I have problems with fast doubles and triple strokes. And its really frustrating!!!

Hi, first off, yes I agree drums is a nice and contagious addiction :)

Welcome to the forum.

One of our member, Mike Packer, has a few videos which might help you with your right foot.

Chech them out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPQqqf_-BSg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHbiwmttIAY&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht2fEpEvkxw&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YiB1l0gVaQ&feature=relmfu

Three things I recommend for every drummer:
1. Get an instructor (in person lessons). You can gain instruction from many sources: DVDs, YouTube, etc. but you also need feedback on how you're doing with the acquired instruction.

2. Practice rudiments daily. Take time, every time you get on your drumkit to practice triplets, paradiddles, singles, doubles, etc. Don't worry about all of them at once, just do some. These are keys to improving your stick control and speed.

3. Get a metronome. A metronome will allow you to focus on the actual aspect of your rudiments and not be distracted by your rhythm/timing. Besides, repeated metronome use will greatly improve your rhythm/timing.

Three things I recommend for every drummer:
1. Get an instructor (in person lessons). You can gain instruction from many sources: DVDs, YouTube, etc. but you also need feedback on how you're doing with the acquired instruction.

2. Practice rudiments daily. Take time, every time you get on your drumkit to practice triplets, paradiddles, singles, doubles, etc. Don't worry about all of them at once, just do some. These are keys to improving your stick control and speed.

3. Get a metronome. A metronome will allow you to focus on the actual aspect of your rudiments and not be distracted by your rhythm/timing. Besides, repeated metronome use will greatly improve your rhythm/timing.

+1 - Get Tommy Igoe's - Great Hands For A Lifetime DVD

Congratulations on finding drums! At the very first, things can be frustrating. A lot of good advice has already been given. Here's kind of a broad view of what's going on in your drumming future: It begins with learning some basic things. Once you have learned them, then you can begin the Lifelong Process of getting better and better at playing...and that
is the really fun and exciting work/play part. If you were learning to sail a boat for example,
you must first learn some things before you ever actually sail. There is similar stuff to learn
before you can play drums effectively. In the boat example, once you are actually sailing there is a lifetime of stuff to learn but it is now fun.....same with the drums. Been a long day
here...hope I'm not rambling too much. Get past the basic stuff and you will have a blast!
Get a teacher and just do it.

Have Fun!

Back