My DW Kit nears completion!

DW-Doug

5 piece Performance DW drums in Black Diamond, 22" bass, 10/12/16 toms, and a 6.5" wood Performance series snare. DW mounted tom Clamp on brackets for any stands used (cymbal most likely suspect) One 9500 DW Ride cymbal stand, 2 DW 5700 3 piece boom stands, and 2 DW 3700 2 piece boom stands, accompanied by dual DW 9000 hi-hats (remote mounted on stand alone 2 leg hi-hat) Budget Gibralter Intruder bass drum pedal for now, and older Pearl or Rogers snare stand. DW tractor style seat screw style throne. Cymbals, mostly 40 year old Zildian Zilco, except for 1 set of 2014 K hi-hats, and a 2014 "A" 12" Ziljian splash, and a 10" Ziljian China splash.

I will get more photos, this was NDD yesterday and it was hectic after work, the hardware was already in play! I even had to make 2 trips to GC because they left out my floor tom mounts, GRRRR. Exausting day after work pressures to boot.

Optional Snares, Mapex Tomohawk, and Rogers Dynasonic both 5.4 steel snares.

Any uuuuhs and ahhhhs? TIA. (Thanks in Advance. ) The Bass drum is a CANNON!

Toms have glorious tone and ring. Just wish I had a 14" Tom too, mounted or floor. Can't have everything!

Mounting the 10/12" toms to cymbal stands and getting the toms where I wanted them, and keeping the cymbals where I wanted them proved a little challenging. But I worked out most of the kinks I think.

I will get better photos up maybe this weekend...

p262556556-6.jpg

-DW

Nice kit. I'm building a performance series (6pc as of now) as well. Would have done the black diamond as well if I didn't already have a kit in that finish.

Grunter's Dad, I could shoot a photo inside the bass drum if I wanted too, haha. Photography is a "thang" of mine, though I have sold my gear down some, ok a lot, and may sell a bit more to cover some of my music gear.

Borrow from Peter to pay Paul, George, Ringo, and John... ROFL.

Thanks guys,. I am loving this set!!!

Nice, looking real nice. AHHH, that new drum set feeling and not sleeping well at night because you're thinking about your new set and what you wanna do with it. Can you dig it???? YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Nice!
It takes me a while setting up toms the way I want. The nice thing with the DW hardware is, once you have everything in place, it stays there!
Enjoy your new tubs.

Sure thing rdb. I am trying to get my room a little better organized so my set will photograph better. Well, trying, lol. I still have a lot of stuff to contend with yet...

I played a bit last night and did test recording, they sounded great but not ready for primetime yet... I was not on my game very well really... But hey, a bad night drumming on new DW is better than most any other night, haha.

JBonzo, yeah, I am still tinkering a little, adjusting here and there. That's part of the fun I guess. Got to get it JUST RIGHT!

DW

New photos...

p1121672405-6.jpg

The 18" hi-hats...

p1121672785-6.jpg

p1121673024-6.jpg

I thought about all my tags were off, drum throne slipped by...

p1121673707-6.jpg

p1121674495-6.jpg

18" hats. What started as a trial, actually wound up a lot of fun so far. I have not recorded anything with them yet. That will determine if they stay or not. They are not my primary hats and could be subbed out with a pair of 14" Ziljian Zilcos, my normal 2nd pair of hats.

Edit...

I just did some refinements to my setup. A few of you here, and some other videos influenced me to get my cymbals down lower. I started doing some creative stuff to do that. Does anyone wish to see new photos and see if it's improved, or does anyone really care? LOL.

OMG, I even changed the order of 2 K cymbals, and moved a 3rd 9" one. The injustice!

Last edited:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm considering picking up a few of the DW 3700 boom/straight cymbal stands. Thoughts and opinions? One question I have is do they actually come with the black handle for the tilter, or is it a wing nut?

The 3700's have a geared tilter with wing nuts.
I like the redesigned 5700 stand, toothless tilter (black handle) and built as tough as a 9700, just less weight.

That's what I was afraid of, their webpage says the 3700 has the toothless tilter (and shows the handle) yet every other photo on GC, MF, even Interstate all show a wing nut, smh. Thanks. Stellar kit by the way, love the finish. I'd be interested in seeing the photos you mentioned above of the adjustments you made.

Last edited:
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm considering picking up a few of the DW 3700 boom/straight cymbal stands. Thoughts and opinions? One question I have is do they actually come with the black handle for the tilter, or is it a wing nut?

Just bought four of them and I'm a little underwhelmed. They are just okay. They don't handle a lot of weight i.e. my 21" RBDR felt unstable on them. I ended up getting a 9000 series for that one, it's heavy, but it holds two cymbals, ride and crash, very solidly. The 3700 is good for crashes and china cymbals, probably light ride cymbals. They have good adjustability and pretty decent reach.

Just bought four of them and I'm a little underwhelmed. They are just okay. They don't handle a lot of weight i.e. my 21" RBDR felt unstable on them. I ended up getting a 9000 series for that one, it's heavy, but it holds two cymbals, ride and crash, very solidly. The 3700 is good for crashes and china cymbals, probably light ride cymbals. They have good adjustability and pretty decent reach.

Thanks! I was hoping to get something a little lighter in weight (currently have 4 Pearl 900 series booms) for local gigs. But I don't want to sacrifice stability for weight reduction. Think I could mount smaller toms (10 and 12) on separate stands with crashes?

Thanks! I was hoping to get something a little lighter in weight (currently have 4 Pearl 900 series booms) for local gigs. But I don't want to sacrifice stability for weight reduction. Think I could mount smaller toms (10 and 12) on separate stands with crashes?

Might be okay for that. I didn't even try though, I just put my one up 12" tom on a snare stand and went with a 5000 for that. I don't think the lighter weight is worth what you lose in stability. Maybe I'm not being fair, I mean they don't suck, but the 9000 seriously blows them away. A mix of 9000/5000 for the heavy work with 3000 for the lighter stuff is probably best. That's what I ended up doing.

Back