My Family's Studio

drummershawn312

Here's my Studio. I own a Gretsch bebop kit with fiberskin heads, the thinner ones cept on the low tom. Ludwig Superphonic 6 & 1/2 Black Beauty like Bill Stewart's, btw those sticks are Bill Stewart Zildjian Sticks, by far the best sticks today! I bought hhx evolution hihats and used top hat on bottom and used a random old paiste hihat top i found on ebay for cheap, sounds like jeff hamilton's hats. Hhx splash, yes i know very random. Old Paiste Ride plus Special K 21 inch ride, like peter erskine's and random cheap hardware. I have roland v-drums for electro stuff and a virus kc (need to upgrade to ti), Yamaha motif rack, digi 002 rack for ableton live and protools.

IMG_0011.jpg

Drums_002.jpg

Drums_001.jpg

No i actually bought them off my teacher for very cheap but yeah they're very expensive new. These are vintage 50 yo vibes, same kind burton used so they are VERY warped but they sound great so there's an example of used equipment > than new. Your best bet is ebay or someone who has vibes and doesn't play them, there's no need to get new vibes cause vintage bars sound great and you can get a new frame for cheaper when it warps like mine also don't get the gel dampeners cause they spray EVERYWHERE after a while. Good luck with your search.

Awesome set, very jazzy. LOVE the vibes, too, and I also play drumset and vibes, marimba, etc. so I can appreciate the setup you've got there. :)

Niiice!! I'd love to have a go on that set, or even just that snare drum. Nice vibes too. I love buying used gear as well. Welcome to the forum!!

Very beautiful!! Is that a vintage Gretsch kit? What line?
Very creative set-up...I`ve never tried mixing two different hi-hats. Do you have any sound clips? Have you recorded something with your Gretsch or Roland?

Looks very good!

Karl

No it was a short time series called literally "Gretsch Bebop Kit" so me and my called every 5 star drum shop to see if they had a set, we literally called the last shop on the list and they had one set left, we bargained and got it for a little over 1k, what a score...

I don't have anything recorded at this moment but once i start recording for college auditions ill put some up for feed back.

Yeah i need to get a marimba cause everyone else that goes to interlochen has one and i am stuck at home only practicing set and snare and a little sight reading on vibes but they just don't have enough octaves =p.

Yeah i need to get a marimba cause everyone else that goes to interlochen has one and i am stuck at home only practicing set and snare and a little sight reading on vibes but they just don't have enough octaves =p.

Yeah, but how practical are they once you get out of school? I played marimba all of the time in college and almost never needed to play vibes or xylophone (I played a lot of bells and chimes, though). Now that I'm out of school, I find that most gigs call for xylo/bells/vibes. The only marimba gigs that I get are the ones that I self-promote as a solo act. Just something to consider before dropping some big cash on a big instrument...

No it was a short time series called literally "Gretsch Bebop Kit" so me and my called every 5 star drum shop to see if they had a set, we literally called the last shop on the list and they had one set left, we bargained and got it for a little over 1k, what a score...

Wow, I didn`t know about those. Great price since I think that this kit looks really well-made and rather like a high-end kit. Have you got some more information about this line? What wood? When did they produce them?

Karl

Hey dshawn312,
Very nice kit you got there, looks nice and comfy. Can you do me a favor and see what letter is stamped on your Ludwig Supra? It should be a "B" or a "BZ", that is stamped above the muffler knob.

Last edited:
Paiste is unkown due to the fact that i chanced it on ebay, sounds ok but i love my special k.

At school we play a lot of modern band arrangements and the orchestra does too so they do use a lot of marimba plus percussion ensemble is very big there as well and we play pretty intense stuff that makes marimba less of a solo instrument.

Gretsch Bebop Kit was in a modern drummer mag around 2006, didn't know when the line started, but ended right around 2006 and they're maple, jazz drummer's dream kit (mine at least) and i can't remember the ply but hey all i gotta say is if you can find this kit on ebay take the auction.

I just shipped my kit to school, sorry, ill tell when i get there,

The Paiste's probably an old 620 or whatever they were. Fiberskyn heads are cool, I liked them on my kit, but I just kept getting getting too many defective ones and finding a place that I could order them from was tough...expensive too. Needs a cowbell though... :) you'll use it more than you think

Nice kit. Love the black beauty. Got a Yamaha brass the same size.
Fiberskyn heads give insane low end! Gotta love that.

Yeah i have a cowbell (decent LP), i don't play funk much or corny jazz (just kidding). Look at a 5 star drum shop, i haven't had any problems with any of my fiberskin heads, they sound quite nice after a couple weeks with brushes and no bubbles that some people have problems with.

Yep, and they ;don't rot like the old skins did ;)

Thats awesome, i wish i had a studio. That supraphonic must be amazing. I want vibes lol.

Good stuff.

You go to INTERLOCHEN!!! No way! That's awesome my percussion teacher, Scott Cross, went to school there and speaks highly of everyone who attends, citing its difficulty to get into! VERY cool. Didn't Peter Erskine go to school there... Do you go to the school or just to the camp?

Back