Different grip on each hand

nirvanadrummer

I have been playing set for over 4 years, and I like to think I'm pretty decent. However, I recently started marching band (last year and a half), and I've had someone criticize my technique. She pointed out that when I play fast, my right hand goes to French grip while my left stays pretty well in German. I can control it when I think about it, but I find it hard not to do when I play unrestricted on my set. I use French while playing on the ride, which I know is common. My question is, is it harmful (playing or injury wise) to use different grips simultaneously? A previous instructor explained that it makes it harder to be consistent, but I haven't received any complaints regarding that since my playing has been around the level it's at. Thanks

I stopped giving a toss about mirror image uniformity between my hands when I started playing more traditional grip. When playing matched, my right and left hands don't look identical and I'm totally fine with that. They're completely different when held traditionally anyway, so why should I beat myself senseless if the uniformity is slightly out while matched? As long as the individual hands are able to replicate the sound I want to hear, I can live with the aesthetic disparity.

Far too many great players had hands that perhaps weren't text book images of perfection, yet they still managed to play with more musicality, creativity than most of us, not to mention with technique that was good enough so as not to lead to pain or injury. On a drum kit, I've found far more important things to concentrate on than mirror image hands.

That said, you say that you're also marching. For that purpose, the drum line is often judged on its uniformity, so I would refer back to whatever the teacher/leader requires of you.

I can only assume that marching and orchestral percussion would require a different macro level of precision that kit drumming does not.

I came to drums from guitar. I have a great wrist on my right and great fingers on my left as a result. When I play a roll, irregardless of the number of strokes, the difference in uniformity is apparent. So I practice with a uniform grip, but play with whatever is most comfortable. Hopefully, in time, the compromise will run its course.

in marching band you are going to be judged on these type things because they are looking for uniformity

for drum set playing do not think about it for one second and anyone who tells you differently can go toss it

as long as you can execute what you want to execute and are not feeling pain ....play the way you are comfortable

check out Gavin Harrisons un uniform grip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utRIR-_-U18&t=0m55s

he is just one of many who have grips like this ....

no big deal.... play ... make music and have fun

Playing in a Marching Band - besides fun, it is a job where you must abide and comply with the team-leader requirements...

... on your drumkit, You are the power and the king on the throne! :)

This stuff really doesn't matter. Choice of grip is a means to an end.

My grip changes all the time: as my hands move around the kit, when the feel of the music changes, as the speed of playing changes, etc etc.

The only constant is that my grip is always loose, not tight.

Like Tommy Igoe says: it's all about options. There's no absolute 'correct' grip in kit drumming.

Go play! Have fun :)

Having two different versions of matched grips won't be harmful or cause injury, but you will hit limitations for sure. Ultimately you'll want both hands to be be able to play all different positions so that you'll have a more complete tool box. Different grips are different means to different ends.

You said your right is apt to easily go all the way to French (so you're probably often American there) and your left is very German. I see this quite commonly actually. Your right hand is much better than your left I bet and it's a matter of the finger control. German grip is the worst place to be for finger control, and French grip is the best for finger control. So, you could say that your left hand is weaker because it's in a much less effective grip for finger control, and because of the less effective grip your left hand is weaker. (You can't get a job without a car, and can't get a car without a job.)

American grip is the best of both worlds and getting your left hand at least into that position will help tremendously as you can then tap into some of the attributes of French grip within that middle ground (never mind the thumb placement/fulcrum advantages). Ultimately you should also work on your French grip in your left hand--even if you think you'll never use it it'll make your left hand way better in the other matched grip positions.

Also, any drumline instructor (who I'd respect) changes your hand position so that you can play better, not for looks. They end up looking pretty much the same though because everyone learns what the instructor believes to be the most efficient and effective way to play (and these opinions certainly vary).

Back