What kit does Fred Young (Kentucky Head Hunters) use?

ShaysRebellion

I've been wondering what the make of Fred young's drum set is. I love the kit, and i love the sizes. Its vintage obviously, but it looks like a custom kit. I dont know. Does anybody know what make and model this kit it?

Attachments

• 340x.jpg
    340x.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 14,921
  • 090424-F-7498H-251paint.JPG
    090424-F-7498H-251paint.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 8,409
  • 090424-F-7498H-113paint.JPG
    090424-F-7498H-113paint.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 10,265
I've been wondering what the make of Fred young's drum set is. I love the kit, and i love the sizes. Its vintage obviously, but it looks like a custom kit. I dont know. Does anybody know what make and model this kit it?
I'm not positive but i'm pretty sure the bass drums are old Ludwig's around the 40's or 50's maybe even earlier the toms i'm not sure about.

Bonzolead

They are assorted Vintage drums that he's collected over the years. Primarily ludwigs with some Rogers, Gretsch and Slings thrown in as well depending on what he feels like using.

yea I'm pretty sure they're vintage drums too because in an interview his nephew John Fred Young (Black Stone Cherry) said that they have rooms full of old vintage drum stuff. Mainly Ludwig I think though.

They are 28" Modern Drummer did a front page interview on him 15 years or so ago. He went in depth on his vintage setup and how he prefers playing in the studio kit wise because they recorded with newer drums, not so vintage.

I worked on a gig in Oregon as a lighting tech back in 1998, I am pretty sure that Fred Young said that one of the kick drums was an old marching band bass drum from the high school he attended when he was young. When he was setting up his kit that day he didn't like the sound of his floor tom, after he changed the head in it, he gave me the old drum head. My dad got him to sign it for me at the end of the show and I still have it today.

Last edited:

The right bass drum is a Ludwig marching bass drum...the tom is a Ludwig and Ludwig...Left bass drum is a single tension, probably a Ludwig. Can't tell on the floor tom (though it looks like a Gretsch).

I love old drums, but what do people think of his sound?
The you tubes I tried it just didn't sound that great to my ears on stage? Maybe the mix, maybe you tube.

Back