Did Ringo Scream About Blisters On His Fingers???

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
[SKF NOTE: I've emailed reporter John Jurgensen about attributing the "blister" remark to Ringo Starr. I've always heard it is John Lennon's voice. Unless someone here can set the record straight (no pun intended), I will update this thread when I hear back from Mr. Jurgensen.]

5:00 pm ET
Sep 17, 2014
Music
How Many People Bought the $375 Beatles Vinyl Box Set?
By John Jurgensen

“These are the albums that changed the world, and mono LP is the way they sounded when they did that. It seems that one should follow the original intentions of the artists, the producers, and the engineers by recreating what they did,” says mastering supervisor Steve Berkowitz, who helped oversee the process.

At least 2,300 people would seem to agree with him—that’s how many copies of “The Beatles In Mono” have sold since the release of the vinyl box set last week. The set, including 14 LPs and a 108-page hardcover book, weighs 18 pounds and retails for about $400.

Audiophiles aren’t the only ones who will hear differences between the mono and stereo versions. The mono “Helter Skelter,” for example, is almost a minute shorter than the stereo mix and omits Ringo Starr’s yelp about the blisters on his fingers.

Full Story

Scott K Fish: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Interesting. I was always under the impression that it was John that said that as well.

I do believe that this gentleman is incorrect. Ringo wouldn't have blurted out that statement, but John most certainly would have - even though he wouldn't have had blisters on his fingers.

Ringo wouldn't have blurted out that statement, but John most certainly would have - even though he wouldn't have had blisters on his fingers.

John played guitar. It wasn't till the rooftop performance till I realized that John could actually play guitar. I had always thought of him as a 5-chord-strummer till then.

John played guitar. It wasn't till the rooftop performance till I realized that John could actually play guitar. I had always thought of him as a 5-chord-strummer till then.

Yeah, I know John was a guitar player - he actually played lead on a few Beatles tune, too. And as a guitar player, he would have had calluses on his fingers and most certainly wouldn't have complained about blisters.

Just another case of his unique sense of humor.

Just another case of his unique sense of humor.

Indeed. In addition, the rundown in HS doesn't have a bend or slide in it. Even the lead parts are more challenging in a sonic sense than a mechanical sense. The only bend in the rhythm part sounds like he's pressing the low E below the fretboard near the tuning peg.

Nothing to cause blisters in the first place.

Ringo has stated in a few interviews,that in fact it was him who shouted " I got blisters on my fingers".After reading that.I put the white album on,and using head phones,listened carefully to the tune,and it's no doubt ,Ringos voice,and not Johns.,after the 18th take of the song,after flinging his sticks across the studio

Steve B

“These are the albums that changed the world, and mono LP is the way they sounded when they did that. It seems that one should follow the original intentions of the artists, the producers, and the engineers by recreating what they did,” says mastering supervisor Steve Berkowitz, who helped oversee the process.

At least 2,300 people would seem to agree with him—that’s how many copies of “The Beatles In Mono” have sold since the release of the vinyl box set last week. The set, including 14 LPs and a 108-page hardcover book, weighs 18 pounds and retails for about $400

Beatles in mono (again)? No thanks.

Another 5.1 release, now that'd be attractive.

Who wants to listen to music in mono? Its not 1964 anymore.

Cynics, of course, will see “The Beatles In Mono” as just another ploy to get fans to re-purchase music that they already own.

To that, Berkowitz says, “No one says you have to buy it.”

I always like listening to Hi-Fi over stereophonic and then suddenly you were hard pressed to find a Hi-Fi or Mono record on the shelves.

That said when the hounds went from left ear through your brain and out the right ear on "Good Morning" that was cool.

I don't think anyone actually had blisters, I think it was more of a typically cheeky Beatles quip about playing a noisy song. And it was "I got blisters on ME fingers".

As far as mono is concerned, the early albums were mixed to mono. The blending of the mix was set that way. Having separate tracks from the 3 and 4 track tapes routed into different channels gave rise to the term "Beatles stereo". Where there's no image or actual presentation. It wasn't until much later, around the White Album where they had actual stereo mixdowns.

In contrast, Brian Wilson understood stereo presentation. He would bounce all the instruments onto one track in the center, then record the vocals in stereo with himself standing off to one side. And then add another double or harmony part with just himself routed to the other side. Made for a big stereo presentation of the most important part, the vocals. With only a 4 track machine. When he got hold of 8 it really opened up stereo possibilities as it did for Ken Scott and folks in the UK. Ken posts periodically about those days on another recording forum.

You guys have it all wrong, it was Bernard Purdie who did all the screaming.

You guys have it all wrong, it was Bernard Purdie who did all the screaming.

Larry, it's a little known fact that it was not in fact Bernard who played with the Beatles, but his twin brother Arnold (Ugly) Purdie.

Many tracks attributed to BP were in fact Arnold's doing, not only most the Beatles catalogue but a sizable party of Steely Dan's, including what was originally "The Arnie Shuffle".

While being a very funky guy, he was unfortunately offputtingly unattractive, so they made an agreement for the pretty one - Bernard - to be the front guy while his ugly twin did the hard work and they'd split the proceedings.

Larry, it's a little known fact that it was not in fact Bernard who played with the Beatles, but his twin brother Arnold (Ugly) Purdie.

Many tracks attributed to BP were in fact Arnold's doing, not only most the Beatles catalogue but a sizable party of Steely Dan's, including what was originally "The Arnie Shuffle".

While being a very funky guy, he was unfortunately offputtingly unattractive, so they made an agreement for the pretty one - Bernard - to be the front guy while his ugly twin did the hard work and they'd split the proceedings.

I understand that McCartney's doppelgänger and Arnie Purdie used to take tea down in Piccadilly quite often.

Beatles in mono (again)? No thanks.

Another 5.1 release, now that'd be attractive.

Who wants to listen to music in mono? Its not 1964 anymore.
I'm not nostalgic for mono or anything, but some of those tracks that featured exaggerated stereo separation with drums in one channel and vocals in another sound terrible. At least keep the rhythm section in both channels so the music has some balanced depth.

As for 5.1, I don't know anyone who likes it for music, but it's great for movies.

I'm not nostalgic for mono or anything, but some of those tracks that featured exaggerated stereo separation with drums in one channel and vocals in another sound terrible. At least keep the rhythm section in both channels so the music has some balanced depth.

As for 5.1, I don't know anyone who likes it for music, but it's great for movies.

We think of stereo in terms of right / left. While Albums of that era are often mixed as a two channel, think of it as a mono track, and not as a "Right and Left" track. Headphones were not as prevalent in that day/age, and stereos came in a variety of configurations (top/bottom) when built into heavy wood consoles.

I hear what you're saying about 5.1, but sometimes movie soundtracks use 5.1 on the credits, and when I hear it, I'm like... Damn, I wish I had 5.1 everything.

While Albums of that era are often mixed as a two channel, think of it as a mono track, and not as a "Right and Left" track.

Of the 4 in the box set only 'Please Please Me' and 'With The Beatles' were recorded on two track. 'Hard Days Nite' and 'Beatles For Sale' were originally recorded on 4 track.

'Help' was released in 5.1

'SGT Pepper' was mixed in quad in the 70's, but never released. I can remember listening to the first radio broadcasts in quad (yes on a 4 channel receiver/system).

It seems that one should follow the original intentions of the artists, the producers, and the engineers by recreating what they did,” says mastering supervisor Steve Berkowitz

Which is bullshit IMO, the Beatles didn't 'intend' to record the early stuff in mono for any sonic reasons, they did it 'only' b/c of the technological limitations of the time. People weren't listening to FM radio (stereo) in the early/mid 60's the AM band (broadcast in mono) is all they had. Everyone went to stereo as soon as they could.

Headphones were not as prevalent in that day/age, and stereos came in a variety of configurations (top/bottom) when built into heavy wood consoles.

Headphones have been around over 100 years, stereo headphones debuted in the early 1940's

AM band car radios sold Beatle records in the 60's, especially the early/mid 60's

I remember some years ago Stereo Magazine did some research on true stereo. They put a mannequin in the center of an auditorium with a microphone where the ears would be and recorded an orchestra. The sound would be as you and I would hear it. No one liked it. They hated the sound. So now of course we have a mic for every little bit and all of it gets mixed by someone who is supposed to know what we like.

Of the 4 in the box set only 'Please Please Me' and 'With The Beatles' were recorded on two track. 'Hard Days Nite' and 'Beatles For Sale' were originally recorded on 4 track.

'Help' was released in 5.1

'SGT Pepper' was mixed in quad in the 70's, but never released. I can remember listening to the first radio broadcasts in quad (yes on a 4 channel receiver/system).

Which is bullshit IMO, the Beatles didn't 'intend' to record the early stuff in mono for any sonic reasons, they did it 'only' b/c of the technological limitations of the time. People weren't listening to FM radio (stereo) in the early/mid 60's the AM band (broadcast in mono) is all they had. Everyone went to stereo as soon as they could.

Headphones have been around over 100 years, stereo headphones debuted in the early 1940's

AM band car radios sold Beatle records in the 60's, especially the early/mid 60's

All of which dosen't mean mono isn't relevant.Give it a try sometime.It's not quite the evil demon as you suggest.The public often has things shoved down their throats,like VHS over Beta.Beta,was the better system,but,we wound up with VHS.Sony had it right the first time.

Steve B

Back