Can you identify this Acrolite?

TheDrumster

Does anyone know the vintage on this Acrolite?

And what would be a reasonable price for this 5x14 in average shape?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 346
If the badge has rounded corners, and it looks like it does, it is from app. 1977 or later. Just how much later I can't say, but a look up of the serial number may help.

Late 70's, early 80's.

Rounded corners on badge.
Rubber grommet on P85
Looks like a Black Face P85.

My guess is 79-81 area. Would need the serial number to confirm.

Acolites are generally $100/$150 used, and often come with a UFO or Tombstone case which has the stand and practice pad. You can find a used Acrolite for $50 if you are patient and know where/how to shop.

Last edited:
Later 70's I presume. Price? I just picked one up on Ebay in very good shape for $100. Unless it is extremely rare, most of us on this forum won't go higher than $150.00, depending on age and condition. $100.00 to $125.00 is more normal. I did pick up a nice one for $69.00 once, so those bargains do happen. They made a bazillion of these, and are still in big time production. That keeps prices down on used ones. They are killer drums, and parts are readily available, so pick up one if you can!

The serial number is 2092296. It was not clear to me on some of the sites I checked out what the year was....anyone?

I live in a pretty small area. Craigslist usually doesn't pan out unless I want to travel 2 hours+. Are there any great online places to pick up an Acrolite for a great price?

I live in a pretty small area. Craigslist usually doesn't pan out unless I want to travel 2 hours+. Are there any great online places to pick up an Acrolite for a great price?

Here's the deal with that....

If you search the typical places for "Acrolite", they're going to be >$100, because the seller knows what they have and what it's worth.

If you search for "Ludwig Snare" and "Remo Snare", you will often find them for $50-$70 with the case and stand.

The other place you will often find them for cheap is goodwill. Here's is my winning auction. Notice they call it a "Rockers Ludwig" because that's what the batter head is labeled. Search for "Snare" or "Drum" and you will often find a good price. Goodwill is notorious for overcharging on shipping. TBH, they're absolute shitlords in the shipping/handling regard, so watch you don't get ripped off for $50 shipping. They put up about 3 Acrolites per week, so don't bid them up too high and snipe it at the end.

The other place you will often find them for cheap is goodwill. Here's is my winning auction. Notice they call it a "Rockers Ludwig" because that's what the batter head is labeled. Search for "Snare" or "Drum" and you will often find a good price. Goodwill is notorious for overcharging on shipping. TBH, they're absolute shitlords in the shipping/handling regard, so watch you don't get ripped off for $50 shipping. They put up about 3 Acrolites per week, so don't bid them up too high and snipe it at the end.

I've heard they are bad about that. In your experience, was their shipping calculator at least partially accurate?

I've heard they are bad about that. In your experience, was their shipping calculator at least partially accurate?

Yes, the calculator is accurate, but you will sometimes see the weight of an Acrolite listed at "51 pounds" when I can state with some authority that it is 18 pounds in the case with the stand. Other times they will use the "Dimensional Weight"... Whatever the fuck that means....

So yeah, just be careful, use the calculator, watch out for the extra "handling" tacked on to the top.

The biggest thing I can stress is that you need to say "I will spend $80 on an Acrolite with case and stand". Hit the site once a day, bookmark the potential targets, set your alarm clock, and snipe them. If they are bid above your budget, just let it go and wait for the next three to be listed on Monday.

There's an '81 Acro in a local music store and it's available for $130. Similar shape, it needs a little love.

I would keep shopping...they're so readily available that you should be able to find a private sale, in better shape, perhaps for less.

Yes, the calculator is accurate, but you will sometimes see the weight of an Acrolite listed at "51 pounds" when I can state with some authority that it is 18 pounds in the case with the stand. Other times they will use the "Dimensional Weight"... Whatever the ... that means....
Dimensional weight is the weight that the shipper charges, if a package is exceeding a certain H/W/L.

Example: to ship one of these drums, the dimensions are say 24x24x14, an extra $5-10 may be added for exceeding 60". Despite the package weighing 24 pounds (Acro,case, with packing materials etc.), an extra charge of 25 pounds may be added.

"Brown" for example, has revenue recov. clerks and their responsibility is to find and scan packages who's dimensional weight was not figured in. This cost is billed to, guess who, the shipper. Typical recovery for our group is well into the tens of millions per year, in one facility!

Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread...possibly good information for buyers and sellers though.

Last edited:
Back