How to make my neighbours happy?

Sorry if this is supposed to be in the skins section but i wasn't sure.

I live in a mobile home park and even though I try to play quietly my neighbours are not very happy. I was wondering what are good cheap things for on the drums to make them quiet. Like the Evans things but i was wondering if there is something cheaper. I don't want complete mesh heads because sometimes I would want to play normally and would not have to retune it but the rubber covers or whatever they are and could you tell me how much it would be for a hi-hat, crash, ride, and drum kit pack of them. thanks.

Buy them a beer, have a brief talk and let them know about the languague of drumming.

Don't leave these on the cymbals for any legnth of time. On my practice kit you can see outlines of where the mutes were. other than that they work great!

I'm personally not a fan of drum mutes, as they alter the rebound response from the head. If you want to do it on the cheap, drape old tee shirts and tea towels etc over the drums and cymbals. It has pretty much the same effect as mutes. Just be aware you'll need a few over each drum as the bit that upsets the neighbours is usually the initial attack from the drum. I'd you can mute that down, you're laughing.

I hated drum mutes when I first got them, because of the lack of response/bounce from the stick. My neighbors and family love them, because they totally bring the volume down.

You need to keep things cool with your neighbors because all they need to do is call the police and file a noise complaint (they do that out here in California where it's crowded). Especially in a mobile home park, where sound travels through the mobile homes much easier. Then there goes your drumming...

Here is the great thing about drum mutes (Yes - I did say great). Not only do they keep the peace, but when you do take them off - you will notice the bounce off your drum heads are now more responsive. They really make you practice your bounce, like a workout when you have them on.

If you're serious about drumming and want to practice often, go to the local lumber store and pick up very thin sheets of lauan plywood. You can use any type of thin plywood, but make sure it is very thin. Then cut out circles for each drum mute. Place velcro at the 9 and 3 oclock position and attach your drum mutes to them. You will now have the similar response as hitting a drum head, without the volume. You can just remove the wood if you want a workout. Oh...cymbal mutes too. I was on the kit last last night till 10 pm...

Vic Firth has a great set of drum mutes, thicker than most. I've heard the Sound-off Bass drum pads break down easy. Good luck!

Back