Can someone give me advice on a drum kit

jp13v1

hey drummers, ive been saving up money for years and years and i finally have some moeny to invest in a good drum kit. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what kit would be good for beginners?

How much money can you spend, I assume you will need cymbals also?

Check out Unix Drums (Unix is a member here) if you can afford them.

This shoudl really be in the drum gear --> drums forum but anyway there are 3 things that are important for a better result here 1. what sort of cash you got 2. what currency and 3. What sort of music? This is very important as you would want much smaller sized shells for jazz and pop than say metal or rock music which is louder.

generally though, good kits in the beginner/intermediate sort of range are the mapex M series, TAMA imperialstar (superstar if you can afford it), Sonor FORCE series and the gretsch Catalina kits (or "cats" for short). All very good drums and won't break the bank either.

As for cymbals, you should go for the best ones possible you can afford really, they're a very important part of a sound and much harder to get in the right ballpark than the drums themselves, which you can mostly get to sound very good with the right heads and tuning. This is why i'd like to know some sort of budget.

i appreciate your responses. I will use American dollars and am willing to spend as much as needed to get a good kit with cymbals. I dont want cheap "unreliable" stuff, knowing that i would continue to play this for years. im interested in playing rock, punk rock etc

The best advice I can give is to simply sit and read through a few drummerworld threads. Post when you feel you need to, but when getting new drum gear reading and absording a few decent threads is far better than an extremely specific thread like this one. Check the 'drum gear' section and the 'your place' section to get ideas on kits, finishes, setups etc.

Tom

Back