My 6 Year Old And Drums? / Drum Kit under $140?

TripleB

My son is 6 years old (very bright and mature for a 6 year old I must say) and has asked for a drum set for Christmas. He has some sticks and I've been working with him about keeping a steady rhythm, different tempo, hitting one stick on every beat and the other on every other beat (not sure what that is teaching him...maybe stick control or being aware of what both hands are doing?)…a lot of this he has actually learned from his music teacher at school and I'm very surprised at how well he keeps a steady tempo.

Can someone give me some advice on how I should proceed with him in order to foster his love for music and the drums?

Do I worry about how he holds the sticks? Should I actually get him a small drum set (around $100)? Should I line him up with a professional for lessons? Should I make him sit down and watch Neil Peart and make him repeat everything he does? :)

Also he is asking for a drum kit for Christmas. He seems extremely excited about learning to play the drums but I don't want to drop much money until I actually see he is going to stick with it. Then again, I don't want to buy him a drum kit that's going to break after an hour of playing.

I'm wanting to put a $140 limit on the set (the cheaper the price the better) and am wondering if there are any decent sets (for a 6 year old) out there?

Some brand I've seen for this price are: Mendini ($92), Pulse ($130), Gammon ($102), de Rosa ($130), Barcelona ($100), TKO ($130), GP ($125)

Can anyone give me some thoughts on the above brands or recommend a set for my 6 year old for under $140?

Any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

TripleB

Last edited:
Re: My 6 Year Old and Drums?

Whatever u do, make it fun, and don't worry bout the end product.

Most kids are good at asking questions, so u can gauge their needs. Also, it makes them feel more as if it is their thing.

Stick holding isn't that important yet, it can be made better later.

A couple of lessons with a pro could be a good idea, depending how proficient you are.

You could buy a couple of Begginners' books, they have a really good structure to use, and hey you can hone ur. Basics at the same time.

Good luck, mate, hope he loves it like we all do.

My youngest son just turned 6, and we just got him started on lessons. He's got a kit, and an instructor who is great with kids. Not worrying about grip, not using a metronome. Doing basic grooves, simple rhythms. He's loving it!

Drum Kit under $140 for 6 Year Old?

I combined this with original post.

TripleB

Last edited:
Re: Drum Kit under $140 for 6 Year Old?

The brands that you listed aren't really any better than each other, in that they're all pretty much the same low-cost, cheaply made stuff. There isn't anything that stands out as being "better" until you get to, say, a Sonor Safari or Ludwig Breakbeats around the $3-400 mark. That said, one of them (perhaps the Pulse) may have actually alright hardware or something, but I wouldn't know, so I'll defer judgement on those.

Making him just watch Neil Peart will just make him play everything like Peart would,and thats a big mistake.He'll get the idea that there's only one way to do everything.Peart may be YOUR favorite drummer,that dosen't mean it has to be his.

There are hundreds of excellent drummers out there,and exposing him to just Peart will make him a one trick pony,in a musical world that's more like a rodeo.

Get him lessons NOW,so he dosen't develop any bad habits,because if he does at this stage of the game,the'll be harder to correct later.

A small drum kit now seems like a good idea,but talk it over with his teacher first,and remember,there's usually more than one way to do everything.

Steve B

Re: Drum Kit under $140 for 6 Year Old?

At that price point,the're really not musical instruments,but more of a toy than anything else.That dosen't mean that he won't benefit from their use,just don't expect too much.

These aren't ment to be scaled drum sets,there meant for kids to have something to bang on,that looks like a drum set.

You can find Ludwig Junior drum seta used for around 120-160 US,or 250-299 new.With drums as with most things,you get what you pay for.

Steve B

Keep your eyes on Craigslist for a kit. Around my area people always want too much but occasionally their is a deal to be had.

There are hundreds of excellent drummers out there,and exposing him to just Peart will make him a one trick pony, in a musical world that's more like a rodeo.

Haha, but what a pony…

I found a Ludwig Jr. kit for my son on Craigslist for $80. They actually sound pretty good and the hardware is decent. The tom holders have memory locks.

Making him just watch Neil Peart will just make him play everything like Peart would,and thats a big mistake.He'll get the idea that there's only one way to do everything.Peart may be YOUR favorite drummer,that dosen't mean it has to be his.

Steve B

I was kidding about having him watch Neil Peart...I definitely feel he has to learn the basics and then he can decide for himself what style of music he wants to play.

Although....if he turned out to play like Neil Peart I wouldn't mind :)

Thanks for all the help so far.

TripleB

My daughter was 7 when she expressed an interest so I built her a kit with some orphan drums and some hardware I had lying about. I could have bought a small cheap kiddie kit, but they are universally garbage (we did have a look) at a low price point unless you start going to the mini kits mentioned in other posts. Here's what we came up with- 10/12/16 bd with 10" snare, all on 2 stands with my spare cymbals- ps she's still playing it and doing well. I haven't gone down the lessons route yet for her, I just want her to enjoy playing and we'll do that later if that's what she wants.

DSCF0462.jpg

My daughter was 7 when she expressed an interest so I built her a kit with some orphan drums and some hardware I had lying about. I could have bought a small cheap kiddie kit, but they are universally garbage (we did have a look) at a low price point unless you start going to the mini kits mentioned in other posts. Here's what we came up with- 10/12/16 bd with 10" snare, all on 2 stands with my spare cymbals- ps she's still playing it and doing well. I haven't gone down the lessons route yet for her, I just want her to enjoy playing and we'll do that later if that's what she wants.

DSCF0462.jpg

In hindsight,that's probably the best way to go.You can purchase kits that convert a 16" floor tom,into a bass drum,or just buy the retro fit ,fold out Ludwig 60's style spurs from Danmar, and use the leg brackets that are already on the drum.
Then yo can just purchase an L arm,and use that to mount a tom over the bass drum.Another clamp and L arm on a cymbal stand,for the "floor" tom.

Add a popcorn snare and call it done.Nice job,and she's playing and unconventional,but real musical instrument,instead of some scaled down toy.

Steve B

If you want to foster your sons love of drums, don't buy drums that fall apart. I would get him an 18" kick, a hi hat and a snare for starters, and add on as he requires, a ride, a tom etc. Also, and this is just my opinion, let him take the lead. Don't tell him what to do, just let him enjoy it in his own way. Provide what he needs to enjoy himsrlf. A kid has to develop their own relationship with the drums. Just let that happen, don't dictate how his relationship should be. Not at 6 years old. It's all about fun in the beginning. Don't squash that. JMO.

If you want to foster your sons love of drums, don't buy drums that fall apart. I would get him an 18" kick, a hi hat and a snare for starters, and add on as he requires, a ride, a tom etc. Also, and this is just my opinion, let him take the lead. Don't tell him what to do, just let him enjoy it in his own way. Provide what he needs to enjoy himsrlf. A kid has to develop their own relationship with the drums. Just let that happen, don't dictate how his relationship should be. Not at 6 years old. It's all about fun in the beginning. Don't squash that. JMO.

I totally agree Larry. That was why we've stayed away from formal lessons. I was 19 before I took a lesson and I loved playing drums before and after. I decided for myself at that point that I needed some help to get past my plateau. The other reason for going for ral drums instead of toys is that they can grow with her. Add a more conventional bass drum and you have a full 5 piece kit. And while on this subject, as for cymbals, better to buy once and well than have to throw away the budget ones when you need intermediates and then getting rid of those for pro line cymbals. Cheap cymbals sound like cheap cymbals. They grate on my psyche!

And if she loses interest, I have 2 kits! Result (I love playing this incidentally, it sounds great!)

I totally agree Larry. That was why we've stayed away from formal lessons. I was 19 before I took a lesson and I loved playing drums before and after. I decided for myself at that point that I needed some help to get past my plateau. The other reason for going for ral drums instead of toys is that they can grow with her. Add a more conventional bass drum and you have a full 5 piece kit. And while on this subject, as for cymbals, better to buy once and well than have to throw away the budget ones when you need intermediates and then getting rid of those for pro line cymbals. Cheap cymbals sound like cheap cymbals. They grate on my psyche!

And if she loses interest, I have 2 kits! Result (I love playing this incidentally, it sounds great!)

Agree Ian. of course there's many differing opinions on the matter, but put me in the "just let kids that age have fun" camp. If it is really in them, they will keep coming back. I wanted to play so bad, because it was very much in me. I know many people who want to play instruments, but don't. My wife is one. She wants to play flute. She has a flute. She never picks it up. So it really isn't a burning desire, because if it was that important, she would already be doing it. That's OK.

It really nice when the parent is into the same thing the kid is. The OP, Triple B...I don't get the impression he plays. So he's trying to get away cheap, and foster a love at the same time. So that conflicts IMO, because poor sounding instruments that fall apart can do more harm than good in the crucial beginning stages.

To Triple B, IMO, you will have to spend at least 3 probably 400 to get everything he needs.This will buy a kit that won't give you any problems, if the purchaser knows what to get. At the very least, you will need a bass drum, (recommend an 18) a bass drum pedal, a snare drum, a snare stand, a hi hat stand, 2 hi hat cymbals, a drum throne, and 2 pair of drumsticks. Later on, a ride cymbal, a crash cymbal, and 2 or 3 toms, and their associated stands. You really need a person who knows what they are doing to get a smart buy on a good solid used kit for your son. There's a lot to steer clear of out there. All the brands you mentioned? Crap.

$140.00? If you are lucky you might be able to get a good used workable semi pro bass drum and a snare with that. But no pedal, throne, hi hat cymbals, hi hat stand, or sticks. 2 pair of new sticks is 1/7th of your budget, think of it like that. Get everything used for sure, except sticks. A pair of Vic Firth 7A sticks will suit him fine. The pedal is important. The drums can be cheaper, but the cymbals, hardware and the pedal shouldn't be.

It really nice when the parent is into the same thing the kid is. The OP, Triple B...I don't get the impression he plays. So he's trying to get away cheap, and foster a love at the same time. So that conflicts IMO, because poor sounding instruments that fall apart can do more harm than good in the crucial beginning stages.

All the brands you mentioned? Crap.

$140.00? If you are lucky you might be able to get a good used workable semi pro bass drum and a snare with that. But no pedal, throne, hi hat cymbals, hi hat stand, or sticks. 2 pair of new sticks is 1/7th of your budget, think of it like that. Get everything used for sure, except sticks. A pair of Vic Firth 7A sticks will suit him fine. The pedal is important. The drums can be cheaper, but the cymbals, hardware and the pedal shouldn't be.

Growing up I played the Tenor Sax...loved the drums but it seemed like I could never keep a steady rhythm for an extended period of time so I never stuck with it. Not to mention my band director was extremely hard on our drum section (now that I look back at it, probably rightly so) which made me want to stay away from there. If possible I would love to play the drums along with my son. The more bonding time the better.

I'm not trying to be cheap, I just don't want to possibly put $500 into something and then my 6 year old lose interest. So far this year alone his favorite sport has been lacrosse, then soccer, then tennis, and now baseball. He originally wanted to play the piano but has now switched to the drums. I'm just worried about putting a lot of money into it before I know he truly wants to play....if I see a true love for the drums then I don't mind dropping whatever money I need to on a quality set. Therefore I thought if I spent $150 I could see if he's going to pursue the drums and take time to go play them or if it would just be something that sits there...like some of his toys have over the years.

So far all I've got are the drumsticks....think a pair of 2A and a pair of 5B.

Are there any $300-$500 sets you recommend? Several I see are: Ludwig (Breakbeats by Questlove, Accent Combo), PDP (Junior, Z5), Sound Percussion (Pro Plus Shell Pack), Pearl Vision (Artisan II), ddrum (D2, D120B).

Also, should I be looking at a drum set or possibly start him out with a snare and see how enjoys it?

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. It is greatly appreciated.

TripleB

Given the fact that as you say,his interests tend to wander,then just a snare,or maybe a snare,bass drum and a hi hat and cymbal would be enough to start him off.You could even rent a kit for say 2 weeks,to see if he likes it.That way,you could more accurately gauge his interest,without the 3-500 dollar investment.

If you were a drummer,it would certainly be a lot easier,as you would know what to look for,and how to do different set ups,like Ian did with his daughter.

I'm curious,did you invest in lots of sporting gear and a keyboard,when he expressed interest in those areas?I understand ,you know your son way better than we do,so you not wanting to make a 500 dollar investment make perfect sense.

Check Ebay and CL and Guitar Cented used drums for deals.You can pick up used individual drums ,cymbals and hardware like stands and pedals.

A great start would be a practice pad,uded Ludwig acrolite snare drum and stand,which can be had for under 100.There are excellent quality drums,and the best part is,you can sell it,for what you paid for it used.

Steve B

Back