music theory: a necessity for drummers

One can be taught, but both have to be learned.

I think they can both be taught. I just think one is abstract and easy to verbalize while the other isn't. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it is really quite simple, in a ruby slippers/Wizard of Oz kind of way.

This is a big reason why I wrote the book in my signature. I think I can prove my point, as much as you can prove anything, anyway. I know it worked for me and its working for my students. All my students groove.

Stiff playing usually results from 'playing from the head up', or "being in your head" or "thinking too much".

When you start thinking about the abstract concepts of notes and how they should relate, it is difficult not to take your attention off your body and how those notes feel. I would even go so far as saying that there is one of the most difficult things in drumming to do consistently.

It doesn't have to be that way, but it nearly always is because it is difficult to teach 'feel'. Well, it isn't hard to teach but it is hard to explain in words.

Seems like it is just another plateau to overcome, like speed or endurance. Eventually if you do something long enough, you don't have to think about it anymore. You just get it, or feel it if you will.

Seems like it is just another plateau to overcome, like speed or endurance. Eventually if you do something long enough, you don't have to think about it anymore. You just get it, or feel it if you will.

You could approach it that way, but its SO SLOW. Most quit before they get there, when you can integrate feel from the lowest levels. For example - I don't put a name on major/minor with my younger students - I ask them what they feel like before they even have a name. Then I start calling it the happy/sad along with major/minor.

I have a masters in Ed, and grounding things is direct, personal experience is nearly always the best way to learn. The only way we directly experience things is through our senses.Why do we torture people by making them do it the hard way? ... and worse yet - telling them they suck when they don't 'get it' in abstract terms ... or telling those that tend to think abstractly that they 'don't have talent'. bah. But I'm ranting now.

On many occasions I've been the most "music theory" savvy person in a band. It's nice to be able to suggest different chords while writing a song or understanding progressions enough to make good charts.

I think it's necessary for me.

This little talk from Tommy Igoe is specifically directed towards this topic. I believe he pretty much answers the question dead on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=Pv8oIKCX33I

Thanks Jeff, nice video. Later Tommy said his father always regretted never learning piano, and added soon afterwards that his father was a great drummer.

Tommy earlier said that without musical theory you are a drummer but not a musician. However, it's clear that the standard of "non musician" drummers varies from novice to "great" ... so all is not lost for those without theory.

Learning theory broadens our conception and understanding. However, some people - some personalities - are better suited to naive art. For instance, Rosseau's paintings would have lost that special charm had he been a more educated artist. Same could be said for early rock n roll, punk, grunge etc.

If an artist has what Kurt Vonngut calls "oodles of charm", I imagine that at times it's better not to question why - to not mess with it. It's one of those intangibles ...

I can't believe some of the posts that I'm reading here.

No one who actually knows any music theory would ever say that it forces you to play "too perfect' or that it gets in the way of imagination and creativity.

Creativity is within you. It is not "damaged" by learning theory. Unless you feel that Mozart would have been even more creative had he not known what the hell he was doing.

I beg to differ. In fact, the common saying around music school was "You have to learn theory in order to forget it"

This implies that for a while theory gets in the way, which it does.

I agree that creativity is not damaged by theory. However, creativity is damaged from overthinking, and that can be caused by theory.

Agreed. Though it could be said that drummers ignore the other elements as much as other instrumentalists ignore the importance of tempo and rhythm.

BTW, you've worn me down, I've downloaded a Kindle version of your book.

Thanks! I'd love hear what you think about it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back