sorry I jumped the gun

Lorenzo1950

Seems I started posting without introducing myself.
My name is Larry from Baltimore, MD. I also post on the DFO Forum using the same name.

I started playing drums in 1965, at age 15.
Was primarily self taught until 1978 when I found a teacher and took some private lessons.
Found I had a lack of discipline and stopped the lessons. Lazy me. I waited until around 1986 and found another teacher and took about a month of lessons with him. We never seemed to click because he rarely smiled and was strictly business. Our personalities never meshed.

I played in British Invasion bands in 1965, soul bands around 1967, progressive rock bands 1969. Started playing top 40, jazz, country and blues around 1978. Did a lot of jamming with musicians in my basement. I recently came off a dry spell of about 7 years. Married a woman in 2005 who was not into music and spent a number of years at home. In 1993 I discovered swing dancing and drumming took a back seat.

Now, in 2012, I am back to practicing, working with teachers and trying to get some chops back. What has surprised me is the total change in the music. Many drummers today are using multiple bass pedals, multiple snare drums and going for flash and speed. At my age (age 62) I am more interested in developing my own, relaxed style.
I will never play like Buddy Rich, Joe Morello or Philly Joe Jones. I have decided to just play like me.

I am posting a link to some video files. I also seem to have a "drummers block" and find it difficult to just sit down and play a solo. I miss having a rhythm section. I think I am coming along but I still have a long way to go.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Lorenzo1950?feature=CAQQwRs=

If I sound like a pain in the butt sometimes, I seem to post to these boards for support since I don't really know any drummers after this last dry spell. It's almost like I need reassurance.

Maybe the problem is being a 62 year old drummer in a world of extremely young drummers who seem to learn very quickly.

Sorry for the rant but I wanted to post a fairly accurate intro.

Last edited:
Welcome. I am from Balt. as well, Catonsville. and I am 64 so we are from the same world. Have fun and the chops will take care of themselves.

We probably lived 5 minutes apart. I live near Edmondson and North Bend.
I see you are in Florida now. Hope you like it there.
Take care.

Last edited:
Back