Would John Bonham be here?

BattleArmor

Silver Member
Do you guys think if he were still alive, he would have an account on Drummer World?

If he did, he would be totally anonymous. Everything I've ever read about the man pretty much states he hated notoriety.

Can anyone explain why he gets so much praise?

I mean this seriously. Exactly what is it that makes him so good?

I've listed to Zep quite a bit and I never really noticed the drumming.

Are you serious? How can you listen to Zep and not notice Bonham's drumming? What makes him so good? His right foot, that's what! Just listen to "Good Times, Bad Times", and tell me you are not impressed. Or go to youtube and check out Moby Dick. Bonham is all about power and groove. He has lots of cool drum parts that I love, "Good Times, Bad Times", "The Crunge", "Bonzo's Montreux" and "Fool In The Rain" are some of my favorites.

Are you serious? How can you listen to Zep and not notice Bonham's drumming? What makes him so good? His right foot, that's what! Just listen to "Good Times, Bad Times", and tell me you are not impressed. Or go to youtube and check out Moby Dick. Bonham is all about power and groove. He has lots of cool drum parts that I love, "Good Times, Bad Times", "The Crunge", "Bonzo's Montreux" and "Fool In The Rain" are some of my favorites.

This is why I said EXACTLY.

So John Bonham is the most amazing drummer because of his right foot. Wow.

I will have a listen to that track on my lunch break and I'll check out the other stuff later but I was hoping for a little more than just "Oh my god I can't believe you're not in awe of him like I am".

SPECIFICALLY why is he so good?

I will have a listen to that track on my lunch break and I'll check out the other stuff later but I was hoping for a little more than just "Oh my god I can't believe you're not in awe of him like I am".

I can't really explain why he is so good, just listen to the songs I mentioned, especially Bonzo's Montreux. It's hard for me to explain what makes a particular drummer good or special or whatever, but I think if you just listen to some Zep and focus on Bonham you will find out for yourself. I just love his style and sound, the way he and John Paul Jones are locked together in the groove. "We're Gonna Groove" is also a great example of an awesome drum part. I think what makes Bonham special is definitely his powerful grooves, his creativity with triplets, and his bass drum. I didn't say he is the most amazing drummer by the way, Buddy Rich and Neil Peart are far more amazing IMO, but Bonham was a great drummer with his own distinctive style and he deserves respect for that. Led Zeppelin would not have been the same without Bonham, he was a big part of their sound. John Paul Jones always said that Bonham was a bass players dream to play with and I couldn't agree more.

I can't really explain why he is so good, just listen to the songs I mentioned, especially Bonzo's Montreux. It's hard for me to explain what makes a particular drummer good or special or whatever, but I think if you just listen to some Zep and focus on Bonham you will find out for yourself. I just love his style and sound, the way he and John Paul Jones are locked together in the groove. "We're Gonna Groove" is also a great example of an awesome drum part. I think what makes Bonham special is definitely his powerful grooves, his creativity with triplets, and his bass drum. I didn't say he is the most amazing drummer by the way, Buddy Rich and Neil Peart are far more amazing IMO, but Bonham was a great drummer with his own distinctive style and he deserves respect for that. Led Zeppelin would not have been the same without Bonham, he was a big part of their sound. John Paul Jones always said that Bonham was a bass players dream to play with and I couldn't agree more.

Check these videos out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed5YvFkcR7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX0QYuVuHrI

He was a legend - for his time.

I love Led Zeppelin and I love John Bonham. But...

A drummer today playing exactly like Bonham would not get much notice.

<<dons flame retardant suit and helmet>>

Do you guys think if he were still alive, he would have an account on Drummer World?

How many other famous (or even semi-famous) pros from that era are here? Certainly none who've made their presence known...

The discussion of why well-known drummers (and drum companies) generally stay away from forums is an old one. In a nutshell, nobody likes to expose themselves to bashing or criticism, and the bigger the name, the less time they are likely to have to devote to online activities. If you think the big names don't get challenged... re-read this thread. Should a player of Bonham's status have to defend himself? A quick search online will also reveal more negative - and needless - criticisms of Ringo, Peart, Lars, Phil Rudd... it's a long list.

And those criticisms come from people who are either insecure, or mean-spirited or, as I suspect in Westicle's case, simply don't know enough about that drummer. Which is also why forums like this are beneficial - there are a number of poeple more familiar with the legacy and contributions of players like Bonham... Ringo... Keith Moon... Ginger Baker... Buddy Rich... Elvin Jones... Mitch Mitchell... etc etc.

Apart from the group's hits, I didn't really appreciate Led Zeppelin or Bonham in their heyday. Only later did I "get it" about Bonham: his feel, his profound sense of time, his deceptively complicated yet simple sounding parts... and his deceptively simple yet complicated parts. I would invite Westicle to explore a bit of Led Zep for some background on what it was Bonham was so famous and revered for. All of the albums have something, but maybe start with Houses Of The Holy & In Through The Out Door for some classic fills, odd times, and great grooves.

Bermuda

Who else played drums with there hands before Bonham in Rock?........NOBODY(except Joe Morello in jazz) who had a Gong on there kit.........NOBODY, Who had Tympani's on a Rock set-up...........NOBODY.Listen too "Achellies Last Stand" off of Presense or "Four Sticks" off of Led Zeppelin 4 which he actually played the song with four sticks,he was one of the first drummers too bring Big Drums into Rock(26" bass drum,14" tom 16" & 18" Floor-Toms) he did things other drummers wasn't. doing back then very inovative that's why he's stood the test of time and always will.hey everybody has opinions just listen too some other Zeppelin beside what they play on the radio.

Bonzolead

Apart from the group's hits, I didn't really appreciate Led Zeppelin or Bonham in their heyday. Only later did I "get it" about Bonham: his feel, his profound sense of time, his deceptively complicated yet simple sounding parts... and his deceptively simple yet complicated parts. I would invite Westicle to explore a bit of Led Zep for some background on what it was Bonham was so famous and revered for. All of the albums have something, but maybe start with Houses Of The Holy & In Through The Out Door for some classic fills, odd times, and great grooves.

Bermuda

Well said, Bermuda.

Not to get all Socratic method on you, Westicle, but how many incredibly talented drummers since 1970 have mentioned John Bonham as an influence? That answer alone should show why Bonzo is "so good" and "noticeable."

P.S. Westicle, I now interpret your avatar as a picture of you laughing heartily at the ruckus you cleverly caused on DW by inciting a "defend Bonham thread." Well played. Well played indeed.

He was a legend - for his time.

I love Led Zeppelin and I love John Bonham. But...

A drummer today playing exactly like Bonham would not get much notice.

<<dons flame retardant suit and helmet>>

Much like a runner today breaking the 4:00 min mile gets no notice...but Roger Bannister doing it first...

Much like an astronaut today walking on the moon gets no notice...but Neil Armstrong doing it first...

Now, I'm not saying Bonzo was the first to play the drums, or do single pedal tiplets, or anything else. But he was the first to do it the way Bonzo did it. He did break a great deal of ground in rock drumming, however (much like Bonzolead pointed out) and deserves his legendary status to remain in tact. There is a mighty short list of drummers since Bonzo to influence music the way he did.

I find it hard to believe you NEVER NOTICED Bonham's drumming, when you look up, do you see a rock? There is no ONE thing that makes ANY musician good or great. It is a culmination of ALL that they do, not just one EXACT thing.

If you don't "hear" what Bonham brings to the table there's no explaining it. You can't teach a blind man "red".

As Hendrix, Clapton, and Beck are to the guitar...John Bonham is to the drums, just as Rich, Krupa, Peart, and many others. Bonham had his own thing that has inspired many...but it is just the opinion of those of us who are hooked on him. I do have some drummer friends who find Bonzo boring, but then again...their playing is LACKING!!! ROFL It's all about personal preference, but there are a lot who see his worth and those misfortunate enough not to appreciate his contribution. Only you can decide for yourself but listen to the whole body of his playing...its all out there for the taking.

Bonham was great, with creative flair and chops - kind of the opposite of Ringo.

But if he were alive today, I think he'd be embarrassed at how overplayed his music has become, so he might not have an account here. I think if he were alive still we wouldn't see the silly level of adulation he gets.

I think Bonham was so popular because he was an original...he didn't try and copy anyone. He had his own distinct style that nobody from that era seemed to match. His bass drumming and syncopation was/is legendary. I fully believe his association with Led Zepplin allowed him artistic creativity to experiment and try things nobody else from that era was doing. But it was more than being in the right place at the right time. He was an extremely talented and creative drummer not afraid to push the envelope.

If he were to come along and start today, would he be so popular? Whose to say. There are so many great drummers out there. But he did lay the foundation for serious rock drumming and in the process raise the bar for all drummers - regardless of genre.

And I have to add, in my locale, it's a damn shame the SAME 2 or 3 Led Zepplin songs are played over and over and over again by the radio stations. Don't these idiotic program managers know how many songs Led Zepplin publshed and played?

Much like a runner today breaking the 4:00 min mile gets no notice...but Roger Bannister doing it first...

Much like an astronaut today walking on the moon gets no notice...but Neil Armstrong doing it first...

Now, I'm not saying Bonzo was the first to play the drums, or do single pedal tiplets, or anything else. But he was the first to do it the way Bonzo did it. He did break a great deal of ground in rock drumming, however (much like Bonzolead pointed out) and deserves his legendary status to remain in tact. There is a mighty short list of drummers since Bonzo to influence music the way he did.

Well said, TenPastTen. That was exactly my point. It was not my intent to depreciate Bonham in any way and I hope my comment was not thusly construed. (I kinda feared it would be.)

To understand the mark that someone has left in his/her particular field, you have to understand their contribution in the context of evolution.

Bonham was a pioneer of heavy drumming with a unique style. Some of his stuff sounds kinda "lazy" to me, but it fit the music perfectly and is notoriously difficult to imitate. He is duly loved and remembered for it.

So the answer to Westicle's question, (which I don't think he needs to be punished for asking,) is: It's all relative.

I think Bonham was so popular because he was an original...he didn't try and copy anyone. He had his own distinct style that nobody from that era seemed to match. His bass drumming and syncopation was/is legendary. I fully believe his association with Led Zepplin allowed him artistic creativity to experiment and try things nobody else from that era was doing. But it was more than being in the right place at the right time. He was an extremely talented and creative drummer not afraid to push the envelope.

He was original because you had to be back then. Rock was new, all you could really do is take a simple idea and expound on it.

Bonham was a pioneer of heavy drumming with a unique style. Some of his stuff sounds kinda "lazy" to me, but it fit the music perfectly and is notoriously difficult to imitate. He is duly loved and remembered for it.

I love the lazy stuff. Feels really laid back and "groovy".

Back