Beginner drum set

blossmanc

I have been playing percussion in band on a practice pad for three months now and i want a drum set for Christmas.By then i should be out of the very beginning stage of drumming and im looking at the pearl forum what is a good set that includes cymbals or like $500-600 and hardware so i can just buy cymbals

so, $5-600 without cymbals?

go used...check your local craigslist and ebay..

you can get an intermediate-semi-pro quality set in that range...and it last you much longer than any new set in that range will..

Alex

buy used. You will get more and save allot of money and get higher quality gear.

Yes, buy used. Search for some used gear and show us what you find and we can go from there on opinons on quality, cost and sound. Good luck!

craigslist + ebay + local newspapers + music-go-round (if you have one nearby) = cheap great drum set

you will be far happier getting a decent used set than a new beginner set. The best beginner set in the world will never live up to the sound quality of an intermediate kit. A few scratches on the drums are far better than bad sounding drums.

Dont forget your local music stores too - they usually carry trade ins or may have a board for private postings.
But, yes - used! - and good hunting!

And if ur stuck with knowing if a kits is any good used - come back here and we sure will try to help.

IMO, if you buy a kit that is any less quality than the Yamaha rydeen, you will end up buying again soon, just as it says above. Saving $100 on some no-name Wal-mart kit is asking for trouble.

USED or RYDEEN. Don't skimp....you'll be sorry if you do.

Newbie here but old school drummer...

I've only had 4 drum sets during the 47 years I've been playing (started at age 14 and I'm 61 now). My first set was a 1961 Gretsch midnight blue pearl set w/22x14 bass drum (can't get used to calling it a kick drum), 14x5.5 snare, 8x12 tom, and 16x16 floor tom. Cymbals included 20-in ride,16-in crash-ride, and 14-in hi-hats. Since then, I have basically kept the same sizes, except for adding a 9x13 tom when I got my second set. I also added a 3rd cymbal so that I now have 21- and 19-in rides plus a 16-in fast crash. IOW, the few sets I've had have never really changed in size.

When I got my first set at 14 years of age, there was never a thought given to if this set or that one was good for the "beginning" drummer or student or young player. My dad and I just got the one we could afford at a music store and went with it. In fact, I played the very same first set I got at the age of 14 way into my mid-20s, after which time I got a Ludwig to replace that first one since by that time Gretsch had started its famed decline.

As a result, I don't know what anyone means by "beginning drum set," which always brings to mind (aaargh!) those aluminum or cardboard drum sets one can find at cheap toy stores.

So, can anyone tell me what differentiates a "beginning" from an "advanced" or "professional" drum set today?

PRNole47

I'm not sure what the rest of these guys are trying to tell you but will tell you what I did. I checked my local Craigslist everyday for ever looking for a decent Gretsch set. I found one for 900.00 and thought about it for a while. Waited patiently and two weeks later it was in the list for 700.00 I got it for 650. A 1400.00 Gretsch Renown set that had never been set up other than in the store for 650. Four toms and a bass drum. It was a steal, I was lucky and you can be also. So I will join my peers here and say look for a used set. New is very nice and I am the first to be wary of used products but there are bargains out there
if you are patient enough to look. Good luck and welcome to the madness.

im looking at the pearl forum what is a good set that includes cymbals or like $500-600 and hardware so i can just buy cymbals

I know I'll be the first here to tell you this: BUY USED :D

Seriously for that range, you can find a nice kit AND a decent set of cymbals off craigslist/ebay. Keep searching the forum and you'll find a TON of info. The SEARCH link at the top works really well when you find a few that you like in your price range.

Good luck and post pics when you get it.

Back