Sometimes, it all becomes so worthwhile :)

Andy

Honorary Member
After years of blood, sweat, & tears, there's nothing better than the feeling of validation! :)

I received this wonderful email the other day. It's from a well known/regarded artist who endorses a well known drum company. I've removed identifying information for obvious reasons :)

STOKED!!!!

Hi Andy

I just wanted to extend a massive WOW and congratulations on making one of the finest kits I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

I've been recording drums with ----- ------- the last week and had brought my ----------- kit along with me. I'm very used to its sound and setup. We set my kit up and had a jam the first evening - all sounded ok. --- (producer) --- suggested that we try a Guru kit in the morning, so I headed into the studio first thing and swapped the 10 and 12 toms out first. The difference was immediate, huge and definitely in another league of brilliance. It's as though I'd taken earplugs out and could suddenly hear everything that has been missing from my drum sound.

I then swapped out the 16 floor and kick. Again, so much more tone, clarity and lush sustain than I'm used to.

We were also using the 13x7 snare - something I was a little skeptical of at first as I've only ever used 14's plus I'd brought my ----- along with me and was keen to record with it. Your 13x7 won all of the votes.

Although I'm happy with my current drum situation for touring, I'll most certainly be recording with your Guru drums on future releases.

Thank you, and once again very, very nice work.

Ahh, THAT'S what we like to hear! You have earned and deserved every single syllable of that. Print it out and put it up somewhere where you will see it often, especially when you have those times when you wonder why the hell you even bother.

What that chap didn't say, but I will and so will many other people, is that you are a businessman of great integrity and also a Very Nice Person Indeed.

Be rightly proud old mate. You guys have created fine instruments and I think it's fabulous to receive such glowing recognition.

Keep at it!!

Ahh, THAT'S what we like to hear! You have earned and deserved every single syllable of that. Print it out and put it up somewhere where you will see it often, especially when you have those times when you wonder why the hell you even bother.

What that chap didn't say, but I will and so will many other people, is that you are a businessman of great integrity and also a Very Nice Person Indeed.

Be rightly proud old mate. You guys have created fine instruments and I think it's fabulous to receive such glowing recognition.

Keep at it!!
Thanks guys, I was really happy to receive this :) Everything we do is a real struggle, especially if you stick rigidly to your build/quality principals. TBH, fewer & fewer players are willing / able to pay for the difference, especially when faced with the relentless marketing / spin power of the major brands. To get just a little window of hope like this every now & again, is real gold :)

It was Bermuda wasn't it? I'd recognize that prose anywhere. Does Ludwig know that he doesn't love them anymore?
Hahaha - I can absolutely confirm it is not Bermuda!

We don't get anything out of this (not even credits), except the pride of knowing someone else "got it"! I think you'd be surprised just how many albums now feature our sound.

Actually, although I'm delighted with the reaction to the kit, I'm even more ecstatic about the snare. It won out over a most impressive selection of high end snares, some of them over double the cost of ours, & some cheaper too.

Ah, c'mon, man... who sent you all the love? It's killing me!

great endorsement, even though its a secret one.

Congratulations! It must be gratifying to make some headway like this in the sea of drums, brand loyalty and endorsement.
I guess one route is through producers - who make studio suggestions like this to these drummers in the studio. Buy that producer a fine wine!

That'll put some spring in your step! Way 2 go Andy Cro!

That's great - you might need to start collecting albums where you know it's Gurus. That should be a pleasure since Guru drummers all have excellent taste ;)

Crossed fingers for word-of-mouth interest from his friends ...

It's a dirty little recording studio secret that many players of many different instruments will endorse a certain brand publicly (for live appearances) but use different instruments in the studio.

Guru drums just shine under the mics. I can see this happening more as the word gets around the pro studio circuit.

It's a dirty little recording studio secret that many players of many different instruments will endorse a certain brand publicly (for live appearances) but use different instruments in the studio.

Guru drums just shine under the mics. I can see this happening more as the word gets around the pro studio circuit.
Thanks Jeff :)

As for players using a variety of instruments in the studio compared to their endorsement deal, I know of businesses that make a living out of providing exactly that studio service. Another aspect that's frequently overlooked is the recording hierarchy. At paid sessions, almost irrespective of the drummer's status, the producer is king. If he/she wants a certain sound, that's what's provided.

It seems the situation that a high level endorser is put in is disingenuous.
The company should not prohibit the knowledge that a player used a different brand in the studio.

It's also no good for the small boutique brand that might have an exceptional sound, but get no credit.

I don't think I would want to find out that I bought a set of Pearls (or any other brand) because the artist I liked was known for the brand but the recordings were done on much different drums.

I don't think I would want to find out that I bought a set of Pearls (or any other brand) because the artist I liked was known for the brand but the recordings were done on much different drums.
That's effectively the case anyhow in the vast majority of situations. If you base your purchase decision on recorded music forms or promotional videos featuring your favourite artist / drums, there's so many other factors at play (processing, room, etc), it's like going on a blind date in terms of real life experience. Only a truly honest capture gets somewhere close, & they're rare.

I completely get where you're coming from though, but all should understand that many artists choose the brand they endorse based on many factors, & sound quality is often way off the top of the list. Tour support & reciprocal exposure usually top the deal elements considered.

Congratulations!

Getting feedback like that must feel great - if not a little frustrating too :)

The word is out, so that's a good thing. Keep grinding!

Congrats on the well deserved feedback! Maybe, just maybe, this particular artist has been tossing and turning in their sleep with the sound of your drums singing in their head. Waking with sweaty palms as they stare at their loyal brand X kit...thinking they'll never be quite as happy again...lol.

Congrats on the well deserved feedback! Maybe, just maybe, this particular artist has been tossing and turning in their sleep with the sound of your drums singing in their head. Waking with sweaty palms as they stare at their loyal brand X kit...thinking they'll never be quite as happy again...lol.

Exactly...........................

Congrats, Andy. Nice to hear.

Back