New Tama and PDP sets

Old Doc Yak

Anybody notice the new Tama birch and PDP maple sets on the Zzound website? Apparently, they even have a maple version of the X7. Wonder how the quality is.

Tama starworks was launched at this year's winter NAMM I believe. It's north america only and I'm not sure what to expect of it in terms of sound.

I couldn't find the tama birch stuff. what are you talking about?

are you talking about the Starclassic Birch?

because I'm pretty sure you can only buy that in Japan.....

or something other than the Starclassic Birch/Bubinga?

-Jonathan

Pacific Drums X7 Maple Series 7-Piece Drum Shell Kit
All-Poplar Shell. Remo heads. Shell kit only, cymbals and cymbal stands sold separately.

Same kit, just a typo.

dunno, man, although it's hard to see, it looks like it says "MAPLE" on the badge, and it's $100 more...

No need to shout! I knew they were poplar. This is a heck of a typo then because every on-line store that's carrying these sets shows them as Maple shells. The guys at Zzounds say they received them showing maple shells. I've contacted PDP and am awaiting an answer. Be a kick if they are maple.

It's not a typo, the one with the poplar shells in the description is a different model.

Is anyone else wondering how these kits get into retailers' inventories and websites before their own sites??

Ok, here's the word from PDP on the X7 set. Really great customer service - an answer in one day. Kudos to PDP.

Thanks for your inquiry Bill,

We are in fact making a maple kit available in the X7 series. We have them available in the next couple of months when we sell out of our X7 kits that are Poplar shells. You are able to special order a maple X7 kit right now from any of our authorized dealers http://www.dwdrums.com/info/locator.htm with a lead time of 8 weeks. I hope I was of help to you and please feel free to get back to me with anymore questions you might have.

Best Regards,

Jon Dewey
Customer Service Representative/Key Accounts
Drum Workshop, Inc.

Even more info on the new Pacific lines- Mr. Dewey's reply below, with my initial email below that [I'm sure he won't mind me reposting, since it's promoting his company's products]:

Thanks for choosing Pacific Tim,

We are glad to hear that you have a good experience with our drums. We honor our warranties and always want our customers to be satisfied.

The M5 and X7 Maple kits will be manufactured in China and will have a 7 ply shell. The Platinum shells will be made in our factory in Baja, Mexico. The Platinum series is a 9 ply maple shell that will be identical to your CX series. The M5 and the X7 kits are preconfigured shell packs while the Platinum series you can purchase individual toms to build more of a custom style kit. The finishes are similar although they are painted in 2 different factories they could have variance. I hope this helped to answer your questions for you and please feel free to get back to me with anymore questions you might have.

Best Regards,

Jon Dewey

Customer Service Representative/Key Accounts

Drum Workshop, Inc.

SafeRedirect.aspx

Posted At: Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:36 PM
Posted To: Comments from Website
Conversation: maple models' shells
Subject: maple models' shells

Hi! I'm a longtime Pacific player; 5 years on my CX shell pack which has served me very well. I've had 2 minor complaints: some wrap bubbling issues on the 1st kit [promptly replaced by you guys, thanks very much], and a couple of minor bearing edge spots where the wrap seems to encroach on the edge right around the wrap's seam, causing a slightly uneven edge at those spots [but this issue hasn't caused me any tone or tuning problems, so I didn't bother returning again]. Oh, and I had to replace the snare's batter hoop 'cause the 1.6mm stock hoop didn't give me a very good side-stick sound. Replaced with a Gibraltar 2.3mm. Golden. Overall, a great kit for the price.

I'm looking at a 2nd kit, and was considering the Platinum series because, upon inspection at my local store, the wrapped kits didn't seem to have these bearing edge/wrap issues. After learning of your upcoming maple kits in the X7 and the new M5 series, I'm prompted to ask: other than pre-set configurations [7-piece kits being the point of the X7s] and, I assume, finish options, will there be any differences in shell construction between these two and the Platinums, and will any of them be any different from my CX shells?

I'll likely be going with the silver to black sparkle burst Platinums, since it's the closest thing to the regular silver sparkle finish I prefer that you offer, even though I prefer wrapped kits over laquer. [Weekend road warrior, y'know.] I got my CX kit just 2 months before the silver sparkle model came out... *sigh* I don't suppose you have any SS wrap left, and that I could order a maple kit with it in any of these maple models [preferrably the Platinums, since I like the lugs better]? And why is the sparkle on the silver to black sparkle fade X7 kits in pacificdrums.com's photos much more, ummm... "sparkle-y" than on the silver to black sparkle burst Platinums? Is it indeed the same sparkle finish [other than the fade/burst difference, of course] and it's just an issue with the site's photos, or is the X7 kit's sparkle effect actually more vivid?

Thanks for getting through the wordy descriptions to my questions, if you made it this far, haha!

Tim Evans
Wilson, NC

my band's sites:
boomerangrocks.com
myspace.com/niteowlnc

Last edited:
Back