My trio received the artistic prize of Kassel (Germany)

Thanks a lot for the nice replies! :)

Do you have a video of your performance that got you this prize?

Well, there`s a big video of our gig which made this prize possible. Though we are not very happy with our playing there since it was our first gig. You can find the sounds on our or my myspace site.
Hopefully the recordings that are planned for the 7th of June will be a lot better. At least we`d like to get CD quality regarding music and sound quality.

Nice list. Only small little worry is that you're getting an 8ch preamp and a soundcard with only 4 inputs. The mics sound great, the classic "tirangle" setup. But yeah all i'm saying is you might want to get a preamp with 4 inputs unless you're using the others for other things mate :).

Well, usually I wouldn`t need the other four channels...I chose the pre-amp for the sound actually. For the money I could find an RME Quadmic with four channels, though it isn`t considered "better for the buck"...additionally: If I need more than four channels I`ll probably have a problem. =)

Can I borrow some money, Karl?

Thank you in advance,

The Colonel

(and well done sir!)

Should be hard...wait till november and you`ll get it, okay? :-D
With my current money I`ll at least get the NT2000. Funnily, the sound engineer who records us in June thinks that the NT2a mics are on their way...could be a surprise when he looks at those beautiful NT2000. ;-)

Karl

That's great news. You're putting in the hard work, and it's showing. Good Karma.

Well, usually I wouldn`t need the other four channels...I chose the pre-amp for the sound actually. For the money I could find an RME Quadmic with four channels, though it isn`t considered "better for the buck"...additionally: If I need more than four channels I`ll probably have a problem. =)

Interesting... well maybe i'll have a look into that myself as unlike you i do have 8 channels on my Audio interface.

Thanks harry...
Well, indeed I always try to work hard for what I`m doing music-wise.
At the moment I really dream of attending an faculty in the USA or maybe Canada after school. Britt already recommended The William Paterson university.
Mh, I`m a bit worried about failing in an epic way though.

Interesting... well maybe i'll have a look into that myself as unlike you i do have 8 channels on my Audio interface.

Yes, I`ll see. Since I unfortunately can`t get the bucks earlier I`ll have to wait for the rest of the equipment (I`m gonna purchase the NT2000s tomorrow).
Here are two other options I really dig!

M-Audio DMP3 tube preamp (I´d get two of them obviously):

http://www.thomann.de/gb/m-audio_dmp_3.htm

Or an SM Pro Audio TC02:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sm_pro_audio_tc02.htm

Karl

Thanks harry...
Well, indeed I always try to work hard for what I`m doing music-wise.
At the moment I really dream of attending an faculty in the USA or maybe Canada after school. Britt already recommended The William Paterson university.
Mh, I`m a bit worried about failing in an epic way though.

Yes, I`ll see. Since I unfortunately can`t get the bucks earlier I`ll have to wait for the rest of the equipment (I`m gonna purchase the NT2000s tomorrow).
Here are two other options I really dig!

M-Audio DMP3 tube preamp (I´d get two of them obviously):

http://www.thomann.de/gb/m-audio_dmp_3.htm

Or an SM Pro Audio TC02:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sm_pro_audio_tc02.htm

Karl

I personally wouldn't reccomend getting an M-Audio bit of kit since they're pretty knobheadardly to deal with in terms of customer service. I don't think that's a tube preamp, either.

I personally wouldn't reccomend getting an M-Audio bit of kit since they're pretty knobheadardly to deal with in terms of customer service. I don't think that's a tube preamp, either.

Yes I think you`re right about the M-Audio. Mh, the SM Pro Audio is said to create much signal noise.
A Goldmike with four channels for the same money would be bodacious. :)

Moreover, I`m a bit sceptical about the Focusrite Octopre, so many channels and preamps for 400€ is suspicious in my opinion.

Karl

Yes I think you`re right about the M-Audio. Mh, the SM Pro Audio is said to create much signal noise.
A Goldmike with four channels for the same money would be bodacious. :)

Moreover, I`m a bit sceptical about the Focusrite Octopre, so many channels and preamps for 400€ is suspicious in my opinion.

Karl

My Line6 TonePort is a really rather good interface (using it right now in fact) for about the same money. The Presonus FP10 is about the same price and is another good interface. If you have the money though, I'd aim a bit higher. MOTU make a great interface for around €600 or thereabouts.

Karl

really, that's my initial thoughts about the device.

And yeah a 4ch SPL goldmike would be amazing. I was thinking about getting some ART MPA gold tube preamps actually. Reckon that'd sound pretty darned good.

Hi!

I`ll see what to do...at the moment the RME Quadmic seems like a good option, especially because it`s simple, neutral and calm.
So, another one is the SM Pro Audio TC02...it is said to be a great tube preamp for the money, though it`s also said to be quite noisy if you involve the EQ/compressor too much.

I'm very happy to hear that !!

Tell me when you come tour in Canada :)

Thanks a lot Etienne!
Well, I wouldn`t dislike the idea of getting some gigs there to come over...seriously...but I guess the chance to get (paid) gigs there as a German trio isn`t great.

Though if, expect a "knock-knock" on your door then. Then let`s jam together. ;-)

Karl

I think Focusrite are pretty good generally. The Octopre certainly works, though I've not used one much. I have their Saffire Pro 26IO and it's been very reliable, and sounds good too.

Karl, congratulations to you and the trio...nice to be acknowledged for all of your hard work and efforts from time to time. I continue to expect great things from you!

Jack

Back