Snare height

I don't really believe in the concept "whatever is more comfortable to you" simply because it's physics, and in physics there is no such a thing, there is one correct way of doing things, simply nobody ever studied it, but that's for another topic.

You're ignoring biomechanics......which has a direct impact on the physics. What works for one, won't necessarily work for another.

It looks like you sit pretty high by looking at the leg bend.

Yeah, mine is pretty high too, I guess (if that's high). My floor tom and left-side tom are the same height and tilt as well for ergonomics, and I try to keep my rack (middle) tom about the same height as well. Economy of motion!

But yeah, I find it hard not to hit my feet when my snare is too low with all the rimshots I do. Especially with my hyperactive hi-hat foot.

Both of my teachers have said that right about belt level is fine or perfect for a lot of people. Your picture there looks fine to me.

You're ignoring biomechanics......which has a direct impact on the physics. What works for one, won't necessarily work for another.

Yea, and it's not like you can ignore the biomechanics of thighs like those honking monsters. Going out in public with those is out of the question.

As a general rule of thumb, have the bottom of your snare, level with the top of your stool.

Uh, does that take into account that snares have different depths? Isn't the location of the top of the snare more important than the bottom?

Uh, does that take into account that snares have different depths? Isn't the location of the top of the snare more important than the bottom?

Which is why I said "As a general rule of thumb" dude ;-)... Unless you rock up to a gig every time with a piccolo snare, you're going to have an average snare depth - let's not get into a discussion about what that is, I think everyone will accept what an average snare looks like...

If you sit down behind the kit, look and say "well my snare is average size and the bottom is around the top of my stool, therefore I can adjust it in accordance with how I'm sitting without me sitting near the ceiling or my snare being too high or low." It doesn't have to be rigid, strict rule and in no way am I saying everyone should do that. It was general guidance to maybe look at things differently.. I'm sorry if I wasn't too specific...

Where's my tape measure? :p

My snare is almost 2" higher than this and I was wondering if it was a little low haha.
What makes it so bad is at the same time, my thighs are skinny.

Actually I will say that the reason I think your snare should be a little lower is because I notice that part of playing rolls and accents involves 'burrowing' your wrist down so to speak. I used to have my snare like yours and its perfect for rim shots and ghost notes but press rolls, double stroke rolls and some other things are better played with your hands dipping down. It's only a slight thing but its something I notice with my own hands and from watching others.

You really need to do something about those thighs.

Back