Yamaha Recording Custom: non-magnetic lugs, etc. Aluminum?

barryabko

Hi All,

I recently purchased an early 1980s Recording Custom kit in Cherry: 8" x 10", 8" x 12", 14" x 14" ft, 16" x 16" ft and 16" x 22" kick. The hoops are triple flanged and seem to be steel but the long lugs and parts of the tom mount are non-magnetic. Are they aluminum? I would doubt that they are brass since the drums are rather lightweight.

Also, I'd like to get a 9" x 13" tom and 18" floor tom in Cherry Wood. Anybody have ones they'd like to sell?

Thanks!

Barry

Hi All,

I recently purchased an early 1980s Recording Custom kit in Cherry: 8" x 10", 8" x 12", 14" x 14" ft, 16" x 16" ft and 16" x 22" kick. The hoops are triple flanged and seem to be steel but the long lugs and parts of the tom mount are non-magnetic. Are they aluminum? I would doubt that they are brass since the drums are rather lightweight.

Also, I'd like to get a 9" x 13" tom and 18" floor tom in Cherry Wood. Anybody have ones they'd like to sell?

Thanks!

Barry

I doubt that they are aluminum, although they could be. My understanding is that most lugs out there are cast pot metal, which traditionally involved very little iron, if any.

I suspect that these lugs are made of an alloy of copper, zinc and lead. This would be very economical and have no magnetism.

Hi All,

Nice find!

Where was I when this was for sale?

Yes, the concensus here and on another drum forum is that they are probably pot metal which is non-magnetic. Thanks.

I bought an older Yamaha something-or-other, wanted to refinish it, and give the lugs a "burnt chrome" look.

got out dad's propane tiger torch...

melted the lug... good thing I only tried one...

so it was some kind of soft, low-melting point metal.

Back