Good deal?

Here is what I'm thinking. First, those are big drums. Big drums to me usually means big rock sound so someone was probably really banging on them. I would look them over very carfefully for any hidden damage before buying, and play them abit as well. Check all of the hardware and lugs for frozen screws. Good luck.

p.s. I also don't read the language. Does it say anything about the condition?

Very good advice, I didn't think of that! Thank you.

The language is dutch and it doesn't say anything about the condition. I've sent an email to the seller about this but haven't received and answer yet.

There are five toms (10, 12, 13, 14 and 16"), a 20" bass drum and a Ian Paice signature snare. The hardware is also included : a rack, snare and HH stands and a Pearl bass drum pedal.

Those toms look deep to me, so beware they may not fit in all music genres. Its mostly a rock kit.

Nice finish on those drums. I've had that snare and it is very good. Basically a Supraphonic but in steel.

Those toms look deep to me, so beware they may not fit in all music genres. Its mostly a rock kit.

That may be a problem as I'm looking for a versatile kit (I play rock, blues, jazz and latino music). It has a 20" bass drum so I was thinking that it could be a fusion kit.

i quite like a 20 bass drum. i suppose the 10-16-20 combo could be used in other genres you name - like jazz fusion or latin. then again that snare is mostly suited to rock too.

I've got a answer from the seller. He says it's an older model of Pearl Master (any good? compare to a Grestch renown for instance?). The snare is only one year old (I already have a Ludwig black Acrolyte so it's not a problem if it doesn't suite jazz). He also says there are some superficial scratches on the laquer but he says it's negligible.

What do you guys think? I really don't know anything about Pearl kits.

personally i would keep looking. sounds like the sizes are not perfect for you. it is not selling very fast, so you have time to look further.

if you do play all those genres you list, i would seek out a 12-14-20 or 12-16-20 combination in normal tom depths (12x8, 14x14....)

I don't think that's such a great deal. Like Opentune said, the sizes don't seem like they fit what you are looking for. The seller would have to throw in those HHX Evolutions for me to bite. Keep looking.

The seller is talking about some minor damage on the 12" tom. He's going to send me better pictures so I can see exactly for myself.

I also found a Gretsch Renow maple with a dark walnut finish. Same kit exactly (10-12-14-14-20) for 900 euros.

So for the same amount of money I could get one of these two kits. What would be a better purchase?

So I received the picture of the supposed "minor" damages. Personnaly,
I don't think it's minor. Furthermore, the seller is asking 1200 euros for the kit (no snare, no hardware and no cymbals). I think it's a lot to ask for a damaged kit, isn't it?

Would a Gretsch Renown be a better choice for 900 euros? Is it versatile enough for all music genres?

Attachments

• ludwig_cm_10.jpg
    ludwig_cm_10.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 150
If it upsets you that much, then you should consider also that the Gretsch Renown has isolation mounts, not those directly mounted ones (unless its seller has modded it). For that reason, I'd go for the Renown, but I have to say that I don't mind that damage.

So I received the picture of the supposed "minor" damages. Personnaly,
I don't think it's minor. Furthermore, the seller is asking 1200 euros for the kit (no snare, no hardware and no cymbals). I think it's a lot to ask for a damaged kit, isn't it?

Would a Gretsch Renown be a better choice for 900 euros? Is it versatile enough for all music genres?

What damage?

If you zoom it a little bit, you can see that it's more than little cosmetic damages IMO.

I also prefer isolation mount. I'm just scared that the Gretsch Renown is more "rock oriented" and that it's going to be difficult to have a good jazz or latino (samba and bossanova) sound. I also read some bad opinions on the GTS suspension system of the Gretsch.

An other option would be to wait a little bit for the new Mapex Armory that seems very nice for it's price.

Back